Some questions from a potential FSX convert

vegasjon

Hello all fellow flight simmers!

I know there are a ton of discussion threads regarding the conversion, and i have some detailed questions if anyone would be kind enough to give me your personal or professional opinion!

I have been investing in FSX forever- i have over 35 ORBX products, all of the PMDG acft, a majority of Carenado items, as well as MILVIZ, Cera, and Aerosoft aircraft and HD airports. I also run all of the REX apps...So you can imagine that its no surprise when i'm flying into KLAX while piloting the PMDG 737-800 and on short final, about 160 ft off the deck and I get an OOM error after an 8-hour flight I get quite annoyed with FSX and its limitations based on single thread CPU and its 32-bit architecture. I recently built a new PC that includes an i7 5860X CPU, 64 GB DDR4 Ram, Nvidea 980Ti video card, liquid cooled, 1TB SSD, and a 28" 144 MHz monitor. This works great with FPS shooter but of course does not add any benefit to FSX.

So, my options so far are to either use a config manager to cut out apps that are taking up a lot of virtual memory, scale down the graphics settings to prevent OOM errors, or fly in areas with high-textured acft that don't load as much overhead.

I've tried P3D but have experienced the same issues as with FSX (I think they are based on the same code anyhow...) I also heard that DTG is designing a totally new 64-bit FS bus who knows when that will release. My questions for the X-Plane community are:

• Is X-Plane a total 64-bit architecture?
  • Do you ever get OOM errors?
  • I saw there was a scenery converter- does it work on ORBX scenery for FSX and P3D?
  • What are the best payware commercial acft out right now?
  • Can any FSX acft be converted?
  • Does it utilize DX11?
  • What system specs are you running to ensure a high framerate and graphics performance?

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide!

Jon R

Las Vegas, NV

Hello U2

• Is X-Plane a total 64-bit architecture?

Yes. There is also a 32 bit version, but the 64-bit is "total" 64-bit

• Do you ever get OOM errors?

Some XP users very occasionally report an OOM error. It's a rare event AFAIK.

• I saw there was a scenery converter- does it work on ORBX scenery for FSX and P3D?

For some reason the ORBX guys hate X-plane. Don't bother I would say.

• What are the best payware commercial acft out right now?

No idea, I don't do commercial acft.

• Can any FSX acft be converted?

No FSX acft can be converted. At best you can export the 3d exterior of an FSX aircraft. Again, don't bother IMHO.

• Does it utilize DX11?

I would think so, see below

• What system specs are you running to ensure a high framerate and graphics performance?

The recommended ones

a Quad Core, 3.0 GHz or faster processor,
    20 GB of RAM,
    a high-performance, DirectX 11-capable video card with at least 4 GB of on-board, dedicated VRAM.

I can only comment on the issue of best add-on - the best one I actually have is the Flight Factor Boeing 767-300, which is on par with the LDS 767 for FSX (which I consider the highest praise I can give anything!), but with better cockpit graphics and the ability to offload the FMC onto an iPad.

That being said, from the looks of the preview videos the new PMDG DC-6 looks to be a real show stopper as well.

Others that I have that are very good are the Flight Factor Boeing 757 and the FlyJSim 727.

• 2 weeks later...
If teh video of whats coming in 10.5 and eventually 11 is anything to go by. Xplane is going to be better than P3d. Even teh atc and aripors are getting a work out. just to think yo cna design an airport and submit it to plane, if its any good they will incliude it with xplane. Seems the yare getting abt 500 a month. It can only get better. Do need a 2gig video card minimum. Mines using 1.8 gig in this flight right now.
Intel 4790k@ 4.6 1.223V Gigabyte GAZ87X-UD3H, Gigabyte GTX 680 2Gig GPU, 8 Gig Cas 11 2100 Mhz ram, Win 7 64 Bit

For some reason the ORBX guys hate X-plane. Don't bother I would say.

Hi,

the reason could be, that there are many things free in X-Plane. Assuming free things are not there business.

Imho the best payware aircraft is the IXEG 737 classic.

Kind regards

Tom

Archived