FSX Install Problems

Hi all

I am trying to install FSX on my system and it wants to install on C:\ and I want it on D:\FSX folder and it just refuses to install. I have been trying to get it done for days now. I did let it on to C:\ the first time and it ran once and would not run again. The version I have is the first version produced by MS. Never had these problems in those days. I am doing this because it seems impossible to use FS9 anymore. I am running Windows 7 with more resources than you can shake a stick at so I know there should be no problems there. I hope someone can help get me going again please?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me...............John

An unexpected error is keeping you from moving the file. If you continue to receive this error,

you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

Error 0x8007045D: The request could not performed because of an I/O device error.

OBX03090.bgl

Type BGL File

Sive7.83 KB

Date modified: 8/31/2006 9:09 PM

Options: Try Again Skip or Cancel

The Dem4km.bgl file is missing 09 damaged. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the file.

Flight simulator will now exit.

Another thread to read is https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?298624-Please-need-ideas-on-uninstall-reinstall-FSX.

The OP had the same error code and the suggestions given sorted it and got him flyin' again.

WRT your FS9 problem - what is the exact problem? Has it stopped loading?

The cause may be due to a now 'infamous' update KB3086255 issued by MS for Win7 and W8 - the update disables a utility called SECDRV, which is a Digital Rights Management (DRM) app used on FS9 - basically the requirement for you to have CD4 in the drive when starting the sim. There was a very detailed thread about the issues but it appears to have been deleted- I have tried several links that I have for it and all failed with an invalid thread warning message.

IF the update is the cause you have a number of options on how to resolve the issue two are legal options and the third is considered by some as a illegal option as it breaks the EULA - to date all talk of it on this forum has seen the relevant posts removed - and this is probably the reason why the thread I mentioned above is no longer available. Below is info on how to use the legal options - for the illegal option check out the CalClassic fourm website as I believe it is freely discussed there or simply google FS2004 KB3086255 fixes to get a direct link to the page

To check if this KB is the cause, manually run the windows update tool. At top left of the update window is a list of options, select View update history. A list of installed updates will be displayed but you are unable to delete any update from this page. Read the statement at the top of the page and click on the Installed Updates link. The new view will display all updates in a new format. The easiest way to find the update is to use the search field located at the top right of the window. Simply type in the full kb number and press enter.

To uninstall the update right click on the entry and select uninstall. Once the KB is uninstalled you will normally be prompted to restart the computer. If not prompted restart it anyway. Once you have deleted it you will have to keep a eye out for it appearing in the update list again as MS keeps pushing it. To stop is installing simply uncheck the ticked box located to the left of the entry and then right click on the entry itself and select Hide Update.

I personally have set the windows updater to inform me when updates are available and thus select when I want to download and install them. To do this click on the Change Settings option located at top left and under Important Updates change the option to 2 or 3, whichever suits you best. The options available are self explanatory but note that with options 2 and 3, on startup, when updates are available, a information box will be displayed for short time and the windows update icon will be displayed in the taskbar near the clock or in the hidden icons area.

The other option involves leaving the KB installed and using the following procedure to re-enable SECDRV -this is from Microsoft themselves:

You can turn on the service for the secdrv.sys driver by running certain commands, or by editing the registry.

To do this, type the following commands at an elevated command prompt. You should press Enter after you type each command.

To disable the driver's service, type the following command:

sc config secdrv start= disabled

To set the driver's service to manual, type the following command:

sc config secdrv start= demand

To enable the driver's service (and to set it to automatic), type the following command:

sc config secdrv start=auto

To manually start the driver's service, type the following command:

sc start secdrv

To manually stop the driver's service, type the following command:

sc stop secdrv

BE AWARE - MS has the following security statement on the page that describes the above procedure:

Note When you no longer require the service to be running, we recommend that you turn off the service again.

Warning This workaround may make a computer or a network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.

Regards

Brian

Archived