Discussion on TAM 402 crash in São Paulo===

Hi everyone!!!

Today I would like to ask questions about 1996 TAM airlines crash. Now first things first before starting I would say that I am going to ask some questions (rather stupid questions) because I am confused about the sequence of events and I also want in depth knowledge about this fatal flight.

Okay... so I know that before takeoff the auto-throttles (both) had disengaged because engine 2 reverser was unlocked and so that safety feature (which would pull the thrust lever(s) back if reverser deploys in flight) can assume control...UPTILL NOW EVERYTHING MAKES COMPLETE SENSE...

...I KNOW THAT THE NO.2 ENGINE POWER LEVER SNAPS 3 TIMES (I JUST CAN NOT GET THE SEQUENCE)...

Then after takeoff the reverser is deployed of no.2 engine (a shock is felt in the plane) and then the power lever of no.2 engine snaps back to idle, which co-pilot pushes forward as does not know that this is actually a a safety system designed to protect the plane. Q.1 When the lever snaps back again almost immediately (after the co-pilot pushes it forward) for the second time did the second reverser deployment become the reason that it came back almost immediately, or was it that the reverser deployment happened the first time and the co-pilot pushed it forward and it came back again ALMOST IMMEDIATELY, so it was still the first time (it can also be that the second reverser deployment cause this snapping back of lever; whatever is it just tell me)???

Then in the air crash investigation on national geographic channel they say that after the second time the lever again snapped and co-pilot pushed it forward it snapped again for the final time and the co-pilot pushed and held it forward and the constant force from the safety system and the co-pilot pushing caused the wire to snap and the thrust went to 1.72 full EPR and when the next time the reverser cycle-opened it caused the plane to loose lift (stall) and roll abruptly to the right. Q.2 The safety system only works if the reverse bucket(s) on the engine open, but they were close and the engine stabilized (the wire had broken and the lever did not fight to stay forward) but why did the lever snapped back again??? Was the bucket open when it snapped back gain for the third time??? If it was then how can it be that the pilot was able to control the plane despite the high moment of right bank??? Simple, when was the pilot able to maintain control??? Explain...

I am very sorry for asking these idiotic questions but I just can not make my self understand what actually happened, I am being confused by different voices in my head of asking questions...

NOTE: Just make it clear and do not copy anything, even if you do just make it explicitly clear.

Archived