Integrated airport management sim with FSX "missions" and the FSX world

slim5oh

Pardon me if this has been asked, I tried a forum search with no luck.

Maybe I'm reaching here, but with some of the excellent past addons for FSX that seem to be able to manipulate the FSX world quite well, has anybody attempted an addon that transforms your FSX experience into an integrated airport management sim?

Specifically, I think it would be interesting to create a program where you start with a small airport of your choosing (say by picking an existing small airport in the FSX world) and then you have the ability to add-on various buildings, features, runways, etc through the proper management of your virtual airport. The results then show up in FSX when you load that airport (through compiling integration similar to what ADE can do?).

Here's an example:

-You pick a small airport, the starting cost is based on the existing airport size.

-Through the stand-alone program, you see an overhead of your airport as it currently exists and you begin the "management sim" part of the game.

-So, if you purchase a "small cargo facility", which could be a simple outbuilding that can hold a few hundred pounds of cargo that will become available for dispatch to other facilities in the area (similar to FSCargo). You can then dispatch a flight, and jump into FSX and fly the flight yourself. The money is then transferred into your account for further airport upgrades

-The kicker is, whatever upgrades you purchase will show up at your airport in FSX.

For some reason, it's harder to explain than I thought it would be, but I hope you get the gist.

Any thoughts, suggestions, blasts?

-Slim5oh

Sorry, can't fly an airport! There are some 3RD party payware addons that do similar things

like aircraft management, passengers, cargo, flights and getting rewards/money to "purchase" additional aircraft.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I have AirHauler (and FSPassengers, FSCargo, and some other similar programs), but my idea incorporates something that no other addon has yet to do...incorporating the ability to buy scenery objects for your airport that then show up in FSX. If I fly enough flights to buy a larger cargo facility, it would be cool to see it when I taxi up to my airport. Of course I could "fake" this using ADE, but the idea is to do a airport management sim that smoothly integrates with FSX flying.

Basically, everything is possible with software.

I have a few ideas, but IMHO this is quite the task. The effort to design, program and test this I would estimate to be at least 600 hours, depending of depth of the simulation maybe even 1000 or more. As the target audience is rather limited, this seems hardly worth it, from a professional developer's point of view. As a freeware/community driven project it might work out, but that usually means that people work on it "on the side", so it would take years until it is complete. Just look at AH2, for how long they have already been working on it.

Still, the idea is interesting. Might be worth to build at least a prototype. Slim5oh, if you want, drop me a PM here, let's see if something can be figured out.

Oliver Binder

LORBY-SI

Agreed, it would be quite the undertaking and I don't know if the target audience is large enough. There are obviously millions of FS fans, and I know the "tycoon" games also have quite a following, just not sure if the crossover is there in numbers.

Archived