Ever been dissatisfied with a scenery product?

dogdish

WHY? If so, did you uninstall it and did it do so cleanly so you didn't have to reinstall your whole flight sim?

Reason I ask is I have ZERO scenery installed and wanted to try some but LOSING SLEEP that it will render it FUBAR if I remove it.

I also have Steve's payware DX10 Scenery Fixer and worried it might hose it up or replace something from it.

Also, how did it effect your frame rates?

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Are you thinking about adding payware scenery like an ORBX product or freeware from the File Library. Some of the payware stuff may be a little more difficult to remove.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

The only scenery product I was unhappy with was the Justflight UK Scenery - Having paid for it (actually it was a Christmas present) I was not happy to ditch it and shell out for Horizon's superior product so have kept using it.

However, the scenery has clearly been tinted green by the manufacturers and the resolution is poor. Furthermore some areas are very washed out and it blurs at higher speeds.

I have lots of other scenery that I have been completely happy with, both freeware and payware.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Tough question. Some scenery is easy to remove and some is hard to remove. Some will have no FPS impact and some will bring the sim to it's knees. It all depends on which specific scenery is involved and the machine it's running on. Much will also depend on the aircraft being used (think PMDG 777 vs. the default Cessna). What, specifically, are you thinking of adding?

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Are you thinking about adding payware scenery like an ORBX product or freeware from the File Library. Some of the payware stuff may be a little more difficult to remove.

What, specifically, are you thinking of adding?

Was considering ORBX FTX Global Base/Vector and I checked out the online user manual and it said it gave a option to back up default scenery. Is there a problem restoring default scenery they didn't mention?

Also noticed the North American LC pack only covers Alaska/Canada where the Base manual clearly shows ALL of North America (including USA and Mexico). Bet they really soak you for the entire pack when it finally is released.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

The only scenery product I was unhappy with was the Justflight UK Scenery - Having paid for it (actually it was a Christmas present) I was not happy to ditch it and shell out for Horizon's superior product so have kept using it.

However, the scenery has clearly been tinted green by the manufacturers and the resolution is poor. Furthermore some areas are very washed out and it blurs at higher speeds.

I have lots of other scenery that I have been completely happy with, both freeware and payware.

Have a few Just Flight products, Traffic 2004 on FS9 and Traffic 360 on another computer (This one I use Ultimate Traffic 2) also a few aircrafts. Was looking at their Las Vegas scenery pack and wondered if it would work in the ORBX Global Base/Vector without hosing it up also.

On the FPS question, Global Base just replaces the ground textures and you won't see any change in FPS - but the ground will sure look sooooo much better. Vector will probably cause a hit on the framerate - for me it's anywhere between 5 and 10 % depending on the location. But it's easy to "turn down" the impact as Vector has numerable configuration options to change the level of detail shown (and hence the FPS hit) for almost everything it adds. And, for now, the landclass only includes some of North America (but you already knew that). When the full NA LC is released that, when combined with Global and Vector, is really going to change the look of all of North America. No problem to uninstall any of the ORBX stuff. Global has an option to backup the original textures and has it's own uninstaller and Vector and LC can be undone just by deleting the added files or updating the scenery library entries.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Yes, I have been disappointed a few times as I am not computer good in anyway....and there are products that have been hard to install and other simmers have have also had trouble......one is MyTraffic 6 for P3D and there others like the Migration Tools which to me are not clear on how to use them in getting things into P3D.....again I am not good with computers but most companies like PMDG, Capt Sim, Quality Sim and many others when you get their product and install it works like a charm.....so I will not just order like I have before...I will see if it is a company I can trust....

Did it! Got Base and Vector installed.

Was an option to save the default textures for Base so I did that but didn't see anything for Vector. So I'm assuming it would just uninstall with Base. Then had to patch right away but the explanation from ORBX made sense.

Started FSX and only had to click permission for 1 item. Noticed it didn't take much longer to load either. Noticed right away the freeways have interchanges and there are beaches now! I always hated flying at night because it was just a big black hole but now the 3d lights are as fun as daytime!

Also working on getting the Pilots 25gb mesh downloaded, probably have to wait for the DVD disks.

Might get the Europe LC and just wait for US.

Archived