X-Plane 10 noob with questions...

airfrance

Hey all,

So recently, I've been thinking about a change. A change in my flight simulation. Since the dawn of time, I've always been a user of FS2004 and have mine basically customized about as far as it can possibly go. The problem is, it's just dated... 2003 technology, graphics, UI, etc and lately I've been seeing all these fantastic videos and screenshots of X-Plane 10 and thought why not?

Problem is, I don't know much about it. While I'm sure I can search online to answer what seems like this basic question, I have questions that go deeper than that that I probably wouldn't be able to get answered online. So my questions are for avid X-Plane 10 users.

Based on my computer specs listed in my signature, how would X-Plane operate on my PC?

I know AI-Traffic is lacking. What traffic add-ons are there for it and how good are they?

How is the weather interface? Are there any good payware weather add ons?

How is the ATC interface?

How is the overall user interface?

How does the sim act when using hardware like throttle quads, yokes, and joysticks? (I've heard mixed reviews about this.)

I'm sure my post won't get much attention and will lack in replies but any help would be appreciated from one simmer to another. Just looking to change my sim, especially with newer great add-ons coming out like IXEG 737, 737NG v5, Rotate MD80. The list goes on.

-Nick. W

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dell XPS 8500 Intel i7 Quad Core Processor 3.50Ghz, 24GB ram, GeForce GTX 660ti 1.5GB GDDR5, 2TB hard drive, 24 inch LCD monitor, FSX Gold. :D

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the X-Plane forums.

Let's answer some of these questions:D

Your specs are fine, X-Plane 10 should run really quite well. HDR, lots of clouds and shadows being the only settings which might cause it to have problems (if all run together).

AI traffic pales in comparison to MSFS. If you want addition traffic you can always try this add-on:

http://www.classicjetsims.com/WorldTraffic/

Whilst I admire the developers for trying, MSFS traffic add-ons are far superior.

The weather engine in X-Plane is pretty good. The only thing going against it are the clouds, they are a major resource hog.

The ATC interface? As of 10.45...terrible!

The interface is either a love or hate affair. Personally I love it and find the MSFS interface severely lacking in comparison.

Adding controls in X-Plane is as easy as 1 2 3. I've never had any issues.

If you need any more help let me know. However, the best way to see if X-Plane is the right sim for you, is to download the demo:D:

http://www.x-plane.com/downloads/x-plane_10_demo/

Happy flying:D!!

Dom

I second the last post. I was fs2004 all the way until my computer died a year or so ago. I just recently built a new computer with similar specs to yours. (mine is i7 @ 4.0ghz, 16 gigs ram, GTX960 graphics). I get good performance, with clouds being the only thing that really cause any noticeable reduction in frames. In that light, one big advantage x-plane has currently over MSFS and p3d is that it is a 64 bit program, and can utilize whatever system resources it has available to it.

As stated, the AI and ATC are dreadful, but hopefully those will improve with time. The interface takes getting used to if youre used to MSFS, but I'm okay with it.

Most remarkable, to me, is the lighting. Lighting is so much better than any of the versions of MSFS. That's a big deal to me. Another great plus is systems are accurately modeled. (Ask me what happens when a Carenado King Air has its torque set too high for too long!)

If the AI/ATC engine and 3rd party communities ever catch up to fsx standards, x-plane will really be amazing.

System Specs: ASRock z170 motherboard, Core i7 Quad-Core @4.0 ghz. Geforce GTX 960 4GB graphics. 16GB Gskill Ripjaw DDR4 Ram

Archived