CH pedals problem.

I traced this to the hardware or the drivers, because the problem happens both in P3D and XPlane so it couldn't be neither P3D nor the XP itself.

Nature of the problem: when taxiing on the ground, the airplane goes straight for 30-50 feet and then starts turning leftwards. When you look at the pedals inside the VC (any aircraft be it P3D or XPlane), you will see that the left pedal pushes itself "in" on its own. I straighten this out with my hardware pedals, but then the left pedal inside VC pushes itself in again, which is a gradual process - it pushes itself about 1/3 way in. Calibrating the pedals fixes the problem for some time but then it returns. If the calibration wouldn't work, I would think the hardware pedals itself is at fault (mechanically), but it seems that the hardware is fine, the problem is software or the drivers or something. Or the signal coming from the hardware... please advice what could be done here.

alexzar,

I'm guessing you're correct. I had Saitek rudders and have never had that issue with them on FSX or P3D. In fact I just did a test takeoff in each sim to make sure it wasn't happening and I perhaps didn't really notice.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I have had the same problem with two consecutive sets of CH Pedals. The first pair was out of warranty, so I dumped them. The second pair was under warranty, so I sent it to CH, who returned the pedals after 4 weeks with a note "No problems noted", yet it was still there. In both cases it started as you describe with a slow drift to the left and eventually they lost all graduation and would only go full left or full right. The problem was the same in FSX and all other 5 - 6 flight games I have.

Other than trying different drivers, I have not been able to address the problem, the last set of pedals is now collecting dust, and I started using the Twist Rudder on my Saitek X52 Pro, but would you believe that - after a while - the same rudder drift started happening again. I now use the X52 Throttle with a Thrustmaster Flightstick X, where the Twist Rudder function has been fine. My only theory is that it is not dirty potentiometers, but an electronic malfunction in the analog-to-digital conversion inside the pedals or stick, but I guess I will never really know. Sorry to be no help!

• 2 weeks later...
I traced this to the hardware or the drivers...

Are you using the CH Control Manager software? It's NOT needed because all the CH Products are Plug and Play. Your probably having a tug a war with 2 drivers.

I don't use the software and NEVER have any problems like you described.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I had the same thought and uninstalled all CH, Saitek and Thrustmaster software and drivers. Running only with Microsoft drivers all problems remained. Now - since my previous post above - the rudder on the Thrustmaster Flightstick X is having the same problem after working for several months. What the H... is going on???

I only have CH Products so I don't know if you need the drivers for the other controllers.

The CH Products Pedals and the Thrustmaster Flightstick X TWIST handle are BOTH controls for the rudder/steering wheel so maybe this is your problem. While your using the rudder/steering wheel control on the pedals, the straight twist handle is trying to keep the rudder/steering wheel neutral. This would definitely be a conflict. You can only have one configured at a time.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

You suggestion of interference from FSUIPC is a good one that I will look into, but the repetitive rudder control problems with both pedals and joysticks, that I described above, go back a number of years long before I installed FSUIPC (which was not set up for flight control purposes).

I found that the keyboard rudder controls were working when the stick/twist was not, but there is no way of deleting the default FSX keyboard functions.

In the meantime I bought yet another joystick that is now running with perfect twist/rudder control and Microsoft default drivers - but for how long?

I have no drivers, and the only workaround is the pedal calibration procedure at the start of every P3D and XPlane session (both sims suffer the same thing). Sometimes need to calibrate again after landing, sometimes more than twice. No good.

Archived