Modified DC-3

Iron Horse

Good morning all!

I decided I wanted to try and modify my dc-3's aircraft cfg file after some success with modifying a couple other planes (jet) files. All I was after was to replace the stock dc's engines with the engines from the dc-4. I got all the necessary specs of the dc-4's engines from wikipedia, and modified only those lines relevant to the engines output. Engine hp, cu in, supercharger moment and piston count. What I have discovered is that my engine will no longer "idle" and at altitude, the engines overspeeds by almost 1000 rpm. The overrevs I can deal with by simply reducing throttle, but since idle is about 1200 rpm, approaches are somewhat more problematic. My question are, why is this happening, and what can I do to fix it. I am kind of just experimenting, as modifying these files are rather new to me, so I would greatly appreciate the KISS version of any help you can give.

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The aircraft.cfg file works with the data in the Douglas_DC3.air file, which can be edited with a utility called AirEd. Ideally, you need to have matching data in both. Read the AirEd manual and learn how to copy and replace entries in the .air file, then download a DC4 and copy these 4 tables from the DC4.air file into your DC3.air file:

Torque Coefficient vs RPM

Engine[Per Cyl]/Turboprop Friction Torque vs RPM

Propeller Efficiency vs Blade Angle and Adv Ratio

Propeller Power Coefficient vs Blade Angle and Adv Ratio

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Rather than inputting individual data, which may or may not be congruent with the rest of the aircraft/FS9, it is much easier to copy/paste the pertinent data from another aircraft having the engine you want. As mentioned above, you need to edit the .air file as well as the .cfg file; data in the .cfg file has precedence over that in the .air file, but there are still many "unknown" parameters in the latter which are relevant (and, though I do not know why, in some cases it works better to transfer all flight dynamics to the file with the engine rather than transferring the engine data to the file of the recipient aircraft).

I've done as jgf mentions myself, if you do copy most of the data from another aircraft, use that aircraft's air file too.

Having said that the default Boeing 737-400 has a very good air file and it is and has been used on many aircraft, even prop types and works well.

There is an FSX version but there is also an FS9 version because I have it.

The FS9 version doesn't show the turbo engine it is just a modified CFG.

Oh Oh! a "Chuck Special"!:eek:

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Well I did a quick search and found the aircraft I have but... it seems it may not be available any longer unless a more thoughrer search is needed.

Scroll down and look for Daniel Nole, the authour of the aircraft, it says it is a Basler BT-67 type but it is/was for fs2004.

Any way I have it and it works fine but as I say it doesn't show the turbo engines, it is just a modified cfg, but it seems you people on here are too quick to put somone down.

I'm not stupid, I know I downloaded it ages ago and it is a mock turbo (as I said), not vaporware and it wasn't/insn't a figment of my imagination.

http://www.fsdome.com/library/search/search.php?searchfor=DOUGLAS%20DCMINUS3&sort=descending&sortby=Relevance&sec=50&nr=3&j=20

Daniel Nole's DC-3 doesn't look like a Basler BT-67. The description just says that "actually some five C-47 were modernized an transformed to Basler BT-67 turbo type". It doesn't mean that depicted DC-3 (c47af650.zip) is a turbo one. You could be right that once such a model has been available. But even years after you should at least find some few indications in the web.

And finally, nobody here has any intention to put someone down. I share a lot of your statements in this forum. However you must agree, that the FS9 BT or DC-3 Turbo with its particular tail remains uo to now to be a phantom.

I never said it looked like a basler I said it had the cfg modified to a turbo which I have done many times myself, I said a few times it didn't show the turbo type engines.

I downloaded it years ago and it is in my sim but then agsin may I'm imaging it.

Nadlzfw,

Would that be propeller diameter or wider blades? And if it is diameter, would changing that cause interference with the fuselage, or would the simulator even notice? Meaning, would the simulator "redraw" the blades causing a simulator crash and reset as soon as the blades rotated into the side of the plane?

Nadlzfw,

Would that be propeller diameter or wider blades? And if it is diameter, would changing that cause interference with the fuselage, or would the simulator even notice? Meaning, would the simulator "redraw" the blades causing a simulator crash and reset as soon as the blades rotated into the side of the plane?

The Simulator will not redraw the blades and make them slice through your cockpit! It will just give them more "imaginary" surface and more oomph!

Well, guess I won't be making my props any bigger!;)

dc3crashddsmall.jpg

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Definately pay to be first officer on that plane! Or even better, back in Coach...

Maybe joining the mile-high club just then in the aft head...

;) :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I found my DC-3 (2009) conversion files (of Mark Beaumont model) and my C-47 Bassler (2011, model by M. Jahn). I need to edit both cfg's so they won't be ready until tomorrow. I will upload them both to MediaFire site and share link (but ONLY with 'friends' I like) when ready. It's sad to be so damn dumb. And stupid.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived