Spoiler Deployment on Default LearJet 45

Art Burke

The default keyboard control for the spoilers on the default LearJet 45 is:

SHIFT + / = Arm

/ = Deploy

However, when you press "SHIFT + /" both the instrument panel and the throttle quadrant window both indicate that the spoilers have been extended.

Looking at the throttle quadrant, near the top, but not actually at the top, is a label that says "armed." But when I pres SHIFT + / the handle/control zooms right by the "armed" indicator and goes all the way to the bottom.

Is there a glitch in this control or am I misunderstanding its use? The logical use should show the lever move to the "arm" position and then either be manually deployed once the wheels touch OR automatically deploy (once it's been armed) when the wheel touch the runway.

It's kind of trivial, but in the interest of realism.....

Art - N4PJ

Leesburg, FL

Hi Art,

First, I suspect that when you press the SHIFT + / combo you are pressing the SHIFT key and releasing it before pressing / - hence the reason why the spoilers deploy as opposed to arming. You should be holding down the SHIFT key and pressing the / key at the same time.

Second, the keystrokes mentioned are the default settings for all default and addon aircraft installed. In the case of fast jet types it will activate the speed brake and/or spoilers where fitted

Third, if using a joystick you could assign a button to raise and lower the spoilers and also assign a button to arm the spoilers.

Forth, you could re-assign a different key stroke, be it a single key or another combo that more suits your needs. A full list of default key assignments can be found at https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/1333/fsx-controls-keyboard-commands/. All of the single keystroke combos have been taken but you could identify one that won't use regularly and re-assign it.

Regards

Brian

Are you trying this on the ground or in the air? I find arming speedbrakes on the ground simply causes them to deploy.

+1 Time to investigate!

Investigation done! It's not the .air file or panel causing this. Probably has to do with the animations in the model. Saw nothing in the aircraft.cfg either. I downloaded a Lear 60 from Premier Air and it did the same thing.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Just reading these posts I learn so much. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and willingness to help!:D

You all ROCK!!!

Happy Flyin:pilot:

Well here comes some more Info! If you are testing the spoiler operation on the ground, make sure the engines are running and when you hit Shift+/ to "Arm" the spoilers, they will rise but will then return to neutral position as the throttles are advanced.

In flight, if you arm the spoilers, they will not rise until touch down and throttles at idle.

I've found it works best for me to designate a button on my yoke and my joystick to "arm" the spoiler. When the main gear sets down, the spoilers deploy. I also have another button on each controller that works the spoilers manually in or out.

When executing a well simmed landing, I'm a little busy to hit the spoiler manually. And I try as hard very hard to not use the keyboard or mouse anymore than I must.

I haven't sat between the sticks of a RW plane for so long, I can't know that things haven't totally changed. But I never saw a computer mouse on any plane I ever flew.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

As a last test, I had the engines running and just a bit of throttle past idle and hit Shift+/ to arm the spoilers. The handle moves to the correct position. I knew those spoilers worked as advertised!

spoiler.JPG

Well here comes some more Info! If you are testing the spoiler operation on the ground, make sure the engines are running and when you hit Shift+/ to "Arm" the spoilers, they will rise but will then return to neutral position as the throttles are advanced.

In flight, if you arm the spoilers, they will not rise until touch down and throttles at idle.

There you go! I know after I land, if I advance the throttle to taxi the spoilers retract! But frankly never checked them as part of my control "wiggles" before takeoff. Perhaps I should start! Yet another item for my personal check lists.

I certainly agree. I have a couple of buttons/switches on a keyboard encoder to both arm and deploy the spoiler. I overlooked the fact that the spoiler will "function" differently when the Lear is firmly on the ground!

I tried using the speed brake on the 737-800 to help slow the aircraft down. It was sort of successful - not so much on the Lear. On the other hand, I find it much easier to slow down the Lear.

Art - N4PJ

Leesburg, FL

That damned Mr. Zippy! Another blinkin' great answer!

Never thought about the plane being on the ground, engines not running, etc.

Had to laugh at another response. I do all my flying totally alone (like most of us). Things get pretty busy in the cockpit of a jet when you're landing - I often discover I'm busier than a one-armed paper-hanger! Never thought to look at the spoiler while I'm still in the air and about to set the plane down on the tarmac! Never seemed to have that much time! LOL

Art - N4PJ

Leesburg, FL

Thank you for taking the time to reply. However, it is immaterial whether you "hold" the SHIFT key or not. As is also the case with virtually every "multiple" keystroke in the default controls (for keys) in the sim.

In fact, if you're using a keyboard encoder (which I am), it's virtually impossible NOT to hold at least one of the keys. For example, in a keyboard encoder (I'm using the Hagstrom KE108USB), the actual sequence looks something like:

PRESS LFT SHIFT, PRESS "/" RELEASE "/" RELEASE LFT SHIFT

This, of course, implies that the SHIFT is held while the "/" key is pressed - there's no way around it. In a pure, physical action, you CAN bang both keys simultaneously - with an encoder it's impossible.

Turns out, my problem is that the spoiler works just fine - even with holding the SHIFT key - it just works differently if you're on the ground vs airborn(e).

Art - N4PJ

Leesburg, FL

In real planes:

-spoiler armed,

-weight on wheels sensor gets triggered,

-get deployed.

Throttle gets advanced,

-spoilers retract, to enable go-around.

Same in fsx.

+1! Except with the Lear on at least a couple of occasions when I've done enough of a "flare" and "greased it on" the spoilers don't deploy on touch down. Yet when touching down a tad harder, they work every time.

Glad I could help, I found that out last year when I was testing out a new configuration of controllers. I have two Saitek throttle quadrants side by side in a throttle-throttle-prop-prop-mix-mix combo. I decided to use FSUIPC to create a separate reprogrammed profile for flying twin jet airliners. In this the 'back stop' buttons on the props that are normally used for feathering, change to spoiler buttons. The first is arm spoiler, the second I programmed as deploy spoiler. This is great, because now I have to operate the levers to arm or deploy my spoilers, just as in an airliner. Its very neat!

- Paul Elliott

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Come and follow my recreation of this historic light here: HERE

Archived