P3D not for the general public?

mav316

This is a stupid question and the answer may already been presented to my face on their very page. I read a statement that Prepared3D is not authorized for sale for personal consumer use/ entertainment use. Is Prepared3D for real world pilots in training or real world pilots only? I wanted to give a new sim a try and I am just not feeling X-PLANE!
AMD Phenom II Quad Core 3.0ghz, 1 GB nvidia geForce GT430, 16mb DDR3 memory, 1 TB hard drive, 3 TB slave drive, and 32" Flat Panel running on a Window 7-64bit OS

I will go give it a whirl I guess I have to buy the professional version $200 or the Academic version for $59. Not sure if the $200 version is the base package and the academic is an addon or stand alone version.
AMD Phenom II Quad Core 3.0ghz, 1 GB nvidia geForce GT430, 16mb DDR3 memory, 1 TB hard drive, 3 TB slave drive, and 32" Flat Panel running on a Window 7-64bit OS

Lockheed-Martin's Prepar3D may be used as the software solution of a BATD (Basic Aviation Training Device) or AATD (Advanced Aviation Training Device) and under the supervision of a CFI you can log flight time in these devices that can be credited for your certificate.

However, the version you purchase in its stand alone configuration does not meet the FAA's requirements. (This being stated both Xplane and MSFS have also been used in BATDs and AATDs.)

A BATD and AATD are the lowest level of certification of FTDs (Flight Training Devices) and are below FFS (Full Flight Simulators), the only "simulators" certified by the FAA. While some manufactures provide everything from a simple desktop solution to very simple 3 axis "motion" devices, the fidelity of BATD and AATD do not meet the requirements for taking a certification or type rating exam. There use in the training environment are limited.

The limitations of the EULA have to do with the agreement with Microsoft when they sold ESP development rights to LM. Due to that LM cannot sell P3D as an entertainment product, so no having fun while you simulate or train.

The good news is P3D is the only flight software developed by an actual aerospace company.

About all I will say to that is to give it a shot. It's basically a considerably enhanced FSX, so go to it.

Really? Considerably enhanced? I have both FSX Gold and P3D and have yet to find an advantage to using P3D. In fact, I feel the scenery renditions with P3D are worse and I haven't even fired it up in some time. Nor have I wasted time downloading a ton of payware I've bought to P3D since I am thrilled to already use it with FSX Gold.

Where is P3D enhanced compared to FSX Gold? And on what basis do you state "It's basically a considerably enhanced FSX"? Based on my sim experiences, the opposite is true!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Get the Academic version. It is all you need. P3D is an enhanced version of FSX. In other words they have gone in and fixed most of the bugs that could be fixed in a 10 year old code. You could always wait and get Dove Tail games new simulator released this month. It is a true 64bit and will run much better on newer hardware.

If you just can't wait then get either P3DV3 or FSX:Steam Edition. P3D will offer you DX11 graphics and a superior visual model. FSX:Steam edition is well, FSX fixed a bit. It runs fine and if you get it while it is on sale (Usually $15.00) it is a great purchase. Just do not buy your addons on steam.

I run FS9, FSX DVD with Accelerator, FSX:Steam Edition, P3D 2.5 and P3DV3 all on the same computer. P3D 2.5 not so much as it was buggy as hell. P3DV3 is my go to most of the time now. FSX:SE is my fall back simulator. FS9 is always best for Tube Liners for it's wonderful frame rate. :)

Good Luck Picking.

Really? Considerably enhanced? I have both FSX Gold and P3D and have yet to find an advantage to using P3D.

Really. The much improved clouds, shadows and water, along with considerably better performance, to name some things that make it MUCH better, in my experience. Even when frame rates are low, it displays less jerkily than FSX or previous versions of FS.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Really? Considerably enhanced? I have both FSX Gold and P3D and have yet to find an advantage to using P3D. In fact, I feel the scenery renditions with P3D are worse and I haven't even fired it up in some time. Nor have I wasted time downloading a ton of payware I've bought to P3D since I am thrilled to already use it with FSX Gold.

Where is P3D enhanced compared to FSX Gold? And on what basis do you state "It's basically a considerably enhanced FSX"? Based on my sim experiences, the opposite is true!

I am with you here Rupert.....I have Steam and Prepar3d and I find myself using FSX almost all the time now as FSX has everything including FSRecorder which I can critique my landings and see the engine reversers and speedbrakes extend which P3D does not do....FSX is still the best overall on my computer.....

Each person uses each sim in their own way and therein lie their preferences. Saying one is better means absolutely nothing. I have removed FSX from all my systems in favor of P3D. Until I see it running, the DTG simulator is pure vaporware. I don't care for XPlane graphics. BUT all that is MY personal opinion. To the OP, LM has a 60 day refund policy so try it yourself.

Just as a statement of fact, P3D is NOT an enhanced FSX - THAT is FSX:SE - P3D has REWRITTEN much of the old FSX code - for example, they have removed all the assembler code which was troublesome in FSX. The offloading of much of the graphics processing to the GPU is just another example of NEW code.

So anyone who really thinks that P3D is just FSX enhanced really does not have a clue.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Just checking in with comments, It suggested that I purchase the Academic version. Most of you feel that P3D is just really FSX recoded to run more stable. Which is what I am looking for in a 64bit simulation. Most of FSX scenery and aircrafts are compatible with P3D so I guess the other question is what is DOVE TAIL simulations. I kind of want to shy away from that even if it is a true 64bit simulator because I have invested so much in FSX. I cant even begin to say how much money I threw out the window when I ended my FS9 run! I really dont want to see all my FSX addons go the way of the FS9. That is why I am looking at P3D really closely as my next alternative to simulation.

Just did a quick check to find out about this "Dovetail Games - FLIGHT SCHOOL" being that this product basically purchased the license from Microsoft Simulations to create the next Flight Simulator. Is it safe to assume that it will be able to utilize most of the recent FSX sceneries and aircrafts as well! This is great news and about time someone took the reigns and developed a simulator that would run on the technology available today! Would be nice to see all those bugs finally go away!

So anyone who really thinks that P3D is just FSX enhanced really does not have a clue.

When I made that statement, Vic, I wasn't referring to the internal coding, but to what the user sees. The scenery is much the same, the aircraft are much the same (even some of the default ones), many add-ons for FSX work with P3D, so it appears as a considerable enhancement of FSX, regardless of the underlying code. But in fact, those massive underlying code changes are what made it possible to have the major improvements.

So operationally, as opposed to internally (which I can't see), it seems a great enhancement, but still a continuation of the FS programs, not something separate as in X-Plane or Flight Unlimited. It even started with the same "sim engine" (not really the right term) as FSX. It even continues some of the same bugs, such as doors closing when you stop too close to the fuel pump.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Just did a quick check to find out about this "Dovetail Games - FLIGHT SCHOOL" being that this product basically purchased the license from Microsoft Simulations to create the next Flight Simulator. Is it safe to assume that it will be able to utilize most of the recent FSX sceneries and aircrafts as well!

What DTG is saying about their platform at the moment is, that FlightSchool will definitely be "closed", so no, legacy FS(X) scenery and aircraft addons will not be usable. If they continue this policy in their next product remains to be seen, but as DTG does not do this for the greater good but for filling their pockets, they may decide that it is more lucrative to sell new DLC to customers.

This is great news and about time someone took the reigns and developed a simulator that would run on the technology available today! Would be nice to see all those bugs finally go away!

IMHO it is not wise to expect a vast improvement from a new sim. The current offerings already use the existing hardware to the max, even the 64 bit XPlane does not run any better or worse than the 32 bit ESP counterparts. It is just how it is with a computer simulation - to do what it does it needs a lot of resources, and it's "appetite" was always beyond of what hardware was capable to deliver. Somehow everyone seems to expect wonderous performance gains - I really doubt that these will happen, it just isn't that type of application. All that will change are the looks. Just going from 32 to 64 bit does not change the performance parameters of an application, if you just recompile an existing app to 64 bit, it is actually running a tiny bit worse than before.

Just did a quick check to find out about this "Dovetail Games - FLIGHT SCHOOL" being that this product basically purchased the license from Microsoft Simulations to create the next Flight Simulator. Is it safe to assume that it will be able to utilize most of the recent FSX sceneries and aircrafts as well! This is great news and about time someone took the reigns and developed a simulator that would run on the technology available today! Would be nice to see all those bugs finally go away!

Flight School is a closed system and, as such, no FSX addons can be used. In fact, at this point I think it's fairly safe top say that none of the existing FSX addons will work with the full sim to be released by DTG later in the year. Unfortunately, 32-bit addons don't play well with a 64-bit simulator platform - not a welcome scenario, just the price of "progress". I'm way too old to even think about repurchasing 64-bit addons. FSX/P3D are working fine for me and, for economic reasons alone, that's where I'm staying.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Wouldn't also being a pilot qualify? Hell, I'm always practicing instrument approaches, holds off of DME fixes and radials. Isn't that training?

If you have a certificate then technically you are a pilot or certified airman. You may be training either for higher certifications or to improve your skills, but you are a pilot. A "pilot-in-training" implies you have yet to become a pilot or certified airman. A Student Pilot and Pilot-in-Training are analogous in my lexicon.

With the exception of ultralights, technically to be a "pilot-in-training" for the FAA you need a student pilot certificate.

Actually, that's training to be a pilot, at least prior to solo. But if you have a Commercial ticket and are working on your (multi/ATP/CFI/etc - take your pick) then you are a pilot in training.

A "pilot-in-training" implies you have yet to become a pilot or certified airman.

I'd say it really means you haven't yet attained the certification you are after, which can apply to an ATP going for CFI, for example.

A Student Pilot and Pilot-in-Training are analogous in my lexicon.

Not in mine.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

I'd say it really means you haven't yet attained the certification you are after, which can apply to an ATP going for CFI, for example.

Ask 3 different CFIs and get 3 different answers.

I have background in both Part 141 instruction and military and have come to think of pilot's as certified (other then students) based on my military background of earning your wings in undergraduate pilot training. People with out wings are pilot's in training while people with wings are pilots.

Ratings above the basic pilot rating is considered graduate pilot training, i.e. you are already a pilot.

The FAA just calls all of it Pilot Training.

The FAA just calls all of it Pilot Training.

Which suffices in respect to P3D, so that's a good place to leave it. Besides, which version, etc. is and must be an individual choice.

Bye...

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

yes, we are walking on the edge here re discussions of the EULA and what qualifies one to purchase which version.

that is not an allowed topic on many of the major forums - the decision as to how, why, when and where resides SOLELY in the individual purchaser and is not open to discussion. If you think you qualify according to what LM has posted - go for it.

Further discussion on this line will get the thread locked.

Thanx,

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Archived