Photoreal scenery

M4TT2016

Sadly there's no program on the market that gives us thousands of truly authentic properly-placed 3D buildings.

The trees and buildings in Photoreal are flat 2D but at least everything is in it's exact proper place.

OrbX-type progs looks prettier because they've got 3D trees and buildings but they're pure fiction, even the field patterns are wrong.

One partial solution is to buy Revolution-X which plonks fictional buildings and trees on top of your underlying Photoreal scenery, it's what I use.

PS- I posted some screenshots about it in this thread-

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?298280-Horizon-GenX-Photo-scenery-what-is-best

Is there such a thing as photoreal scenery that isn't flat? It looks good from altitude but when you go to land it's almost completely flat.

Is there any solution at all?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I like autogen scenery such as Orbx for its great appearance, 3D effect, seasons, etc. But I also like photoscenery for its perfect accuracy, increased smoothness and higher framerates. The latest photoscenery from MegasceneryEarth, their "4X" scenery, has such high resolution, it is clear down to 500-1,000' and often appears to be 3D. I've been running Orbx southern California simultaneously with MegasceneryEarth 4X southern California. In FSX the photoscenery automatically takes precedence, but the Orbx airports and scenery objects remain. So I have the great accuracy of photoscenery when flying above 1,000', and I have the great Orbx airports when landing/taking off. The best effect is with airports such as Twenty Nine Palms or Orbx Palm Springs which include 3D autogen for the areas surrounding the airports. I have to admit, though, that buying both sceneries, Orbx and MegasceneryEarth, isn't exactly the cheapest way to go.

Jorgen thank you, however I was looking for England/UK.

I'm not too bothered about precise road and building locations I just want it to look pleasing to the eye. In that case I'll probably go with orbx England on payday. :-)

Jorgen thank you, however I was looking for England/UK.

I'm not too bothered about precise road and building locations I just want it to look pleasing to the eye. In that case I'll probably go with orbx England on payday. :-)

I love it!;)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Rupert, do I assume that you have orbx England and you are goading me further into buying it haha

Good question, easy answer. I have FTX EU England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland. And I have SCOTFLIGHT FOR FSX on top of that. Oh I also have EGHR addon software as well as a London addon whose name escapes me at the moment.. Yes I love it!:cool:

Oh yes, I also have lots of other ORBX scenery for North America and FTX Global

If you want to see what the UK looks like, I have a few links in the MSFS Screenshot Forum. Just look under Rupert. As I recall the last UK link I included was 3 shots over Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Is there such a thing as photoreal scenery that isn't flat? It looks good from altitude but when you go to land it's almost completely flat.

Is there any solution at all?

The solution are autogen addons on top of the photoreal, best coupled with regional POI packages. For example Revolution X, OpenVFR, European Landmarks.

Hello M4TT2016!

Did you go to the suggested site or any other site? Did you find anything of value here or there? People who jump on for info then off when they're satisfied make it hard for those who want to help to continue, helping!

This is why I like Photoreal because I can navigate across country by following roads, rivers, rails etc by eyeball with a paper map (bottom pic) open on my desk in front of me.

The top pic is GenX Southern England photoreal, sure the buildings in Henley below are flat 2D but from this height they give the illusion of 3D, but the trees are real 3D thanks to the 'Treescapes' programme which adds them..:)

(PS- Photoreal is especially useful for real-life trainees going for their private pilots licence because they'll be eyeballing the terrain from their real-life cockpits and if they've already done that in FSX-photoreal it'll become second nature in real life.

So when they or anybody else are looking to buy FSX scenery they should make sure it says 'Photoreal' or 'Photorealistic' or 'Photoscenery' on the box, because any other scenery without those words is just fictional scenery)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/FSX-TMothb.gif

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/FSX-henleyb.gif

I'm on the very same page as you - wanting to see the geography as-is and navigate VFR accordingly.

This is why I generally use photo-scenery in the UK with Treescapes (and later RevolutionX) and why I created Treeline to do the same for the USA. OrbX (or similar primarily land-class based) can look aesthetically pleasing but doesn't give you the real-world under your wings (useful for getting the flying "as real as it gets" - surely the main purpose of the sim?). It's also worth noting that autogen on photo-real uses whatever "models" would use - so these can include add-ons like OrbX hi-res trees etc.

Ian

This is why I like Photoreal because I can navigate across country by following roads, rivers, rails etc by eyeball with a paper map (bottom pic) open on my desk in front of me.

The top pic is GenX Southern England photoreal, sure the buildings in Henley below are flat 2D but from this height they give the illusion of 3D, but the trees are real 3D thanks to the 'Treescapes' programme which adds them..:)

(PS- Photoreal is especially useful for real-life trainees going for their private pilots licence because they'll be eyeballing the terrain from their real-life cockpits and if they've already done that in FSX-photoreal it'll become second nature in real life.

So when they or anybody else are looking to buy FSX scenery they should make sure it says 'Photoreal' or 'Photorealistic' or 'Photoscenery' on the box, because any other scenery without those words is just fictional scenery)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/FSX-TMothb.gif

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/FSX-henleyb.gif

I've never doubted your concept as long as I was at FL200 or above. Below that, since I'm generally in a small GA aircraft without facilities, I sometimes need to use the loo. In that case I prefer a building in which I can stand upright.;)

I'm on the very same page as you - wanting to see the geography as-is and navigate VFR accordingly.This is why I generally use photo-scenery in the UK with Treescapes (and later RevolutionX)

Yes, and with Photoreal scenery we can also do a spot of "aerial archaeology" such as here 8 miles east of Swindon (England).

1- Dragon Hill where St. George slew the dragon, note how its blood burnt the grass off the top and where it trickled down the sides.

2- Uffington Horse carved into the chalk around 1000 years BC.

3- Uffington Castle from the same period; the word "castle" in this sense means a hilltop encampment of houses surrounded by a defensive ditch/earthwork and wooden wall, of which only the ditch/earthwork remains-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-Sthn-engl2_zpstfaajxhc.jpg~original

Archived