A Chopper pilot's Point of view.

Rupert

I was told that a helicopter is 4000000 parts trying to fly in formation .

Flying loose formation. At best.

With very little training.

The Angels, they aint :D

a plane with a prorp on it's roof!

That's no prorp (??!?) on the roof, that's a fan. Don't think so? If it ever stops, watch the pilot start to sweat!!

:D :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

@ Phantom ,

Never seen the Army Air Corps with their flying displays in the Lynx ? The name escapes me at the moment but they do things that shouldn't be allowed ( for the faint hearted ) .

In my offshore days in the North Sea we flew with Bristows in a Bell 212 but the pilots thought they were flying as extras in a Vietnam era war movie , one sneeze from the pilot and we would have changed into a Bell submarine !!

John

Oh, I'm not denying that there are any number of superb helicopter PILOTS out there. Our very own Rupert is an example. :D

I just get a giggle out of a lot of the funnies about helicopters.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Oh, I'm not denying that there are any number of superb helicopter PILOTS out there. Our very own Rupert is an example. :D

I just get a giggle out of a lot of the funnies about helicopters.

Pat☺

Thanks for your support Pat! Though frankly when the sky was bright with tracers and mortars & I was in an old CH-34 trying my best to beat 60knts. while climbing out and leaving a zone with a bunch of wounded in the cabin below, that drawing was probably more accurate than not!:o

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Helicopters are indeed strange but wonderful beasts. I flew airplanes professionally for 20+ years and then discovered helicopters, which gave me another 20+ years of great flying. Honestly, once I learned to tame the beast I never looked back; airplanes seemed so...simple and limited. Helicopters don't have the range of airplanes but can do so much more. For example, we used to fly from home base airport VFR at 300 feet to pick up the boss in a field near his home, then jump up into IFR to Washington, D.C. with a full instrument approach to minimums. All in a day's work.

You might enjoy this video: http://www.flixxy.com/bo105-helicopter-aerobatics.htm

I did fly this type of helicopter for about 2 years but make no claim to be anywhere near as good as this guy. It's obviously very nimble and maneuverable, and we used it to good advantage; having two engines always felt oh so comfortable.

Fortunately, there are some quite good FSX helicopters, although it's almost mandatory to have pedals to fly them effectively. Autorudder helps a little but not close to the ground when air-taxiing or landing. They are sensitive creatures and need to be handled with great affection or they will let you know their displeasure (sound familiar?), but if you learn to love them they will reward you greatly.

Enjoy!

Like John, I make a p__ pour helicopter pilot in FSX, or any other simulator for that matter. :D No wonder you had problems trying to reach 60knts Michael. :rolleyes:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]188934[/ATTACH]

Great Shot Adam!!:rolleyes:

But in all seriousness, which I usually avoid like the plague! A hugely over grossed H-34 on a very hot day with no prevailing winds must really work to pull 60knts. on a steep climb out. And when you're under fire, every climb out is steep!!!;)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought this scientist was a bit self important and arrogant. He the leader of the delete Pluto movement. But he nails it with this quote:

Capture.JPG

Have fun all, and keep that big fan on top turning :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What is with all the helo bashing? Have flown in real life, Schweizer 300's, Bell Jet Ranger's. 407's and 212's ... they are much easier in FSX as Jan knows ! Mike :) Here's me strapping into a Bell 212 on a training flight many moons ago ...Good times with US Forest Service contracts !

helopilot.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived