Rebuilding a payware VC

whats up

Hello guys, I am new to 3D modelling and cannot build something from ground up, so I went off looking for half completed projects. I have a deep connection with E-190s and the Feelthere E-Jets is great except one thing: the VC is outdated. Is there any way I can contact the developer or can I import the VC myself and rebuild it?

Honestly, no. It is marginally possible to use some freeware tools to extract the current interior model into a solid .3ds file and then load that into 3D Studio Max, the effort to redo all of the textures, then separate all of the individual objects, name them, recreate the animation scripts in modeldef.xml file, then animate, and tag each object makes the entire effort just not worth while.

It would be faster and easier to just build your own interior model from scratch.

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Unless you are ready to offer money for the work I highly doubt someone is out there itching to build a VC for you. Take a look through all the requests that are made in the Aircraft Design forum...note that they don't get any takers.

You really only have one option, which is what drove anybody out there including myself to start developing in the first place. If you want it you are going to have to learn how to do it yourself.

Robert Kerr

3D Modeler & Texture Artist

I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz, GTX-970 w/4GB, 8gb DDR 3 RAM, two SSDs, and Win 7 64 bit.

OK...That kind of unexpected...but at the end of the day, if I love to do this and do it for the fun, can't force others to have the same feelings. I know how to do it, but it's going to be long and hard. I have started building the model, exterior and interior, with a rough idea of how to do it, even though I need more references than just a three-view blueprint. The hard part is writing the gauges and systems, I don't believe in releasing basic simulations; if I'm doing it, it's going to be done to at least the level Feelthere did it to. Thanks for the info and I may come back here for help.

Good luck with your adventure, people are usually not to open about what they do or how they do it. They like keeping a lot of secrets to themselves when it comes to designing and such. Too self absorbed to lead you in the right direction. Robert I guess gave you the best option by going to FS Developer site. If you are in FSX I would recommend going to Blender, I have gotten a lot further with it than I did with trying to understand GMAX. I am a old CAD Jockey myself and trying to get my head out of CAD.

Krispy 1001 has some how to video's making a really crude airplane using Blender a Blender to FSX tools. Krispy makes mistakes in his videos but not too proud to show when he blows it.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/blender.136/

Rick

I've got to say, your VC looks amazing to a beginner like me who has no idea how to or even what MIP is. :) I think I'll see if FSX smooth it out, but to make it smooth, I need 500 sides or something, which will kill some FPS.

I know how to use Blender and is using it to create the exterior model right now. Quick question' date=' how many sides do I need for the cylinders for the fuselage and engine nacelles?[/quote']

24 at a minimum, 32 as a max. It really depends on the diameter and shape of the fuselage, and how effective your chosen design program is at auto-smoothing.

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Good luck with your adventure, people are usually not to open about what they do or how they do it. They like keeping a lot of secrets to themselves when it comes to designing and such.

Rick, that is a very unfair comment. There are many who've invested many hours in providing detailed help either through various forums, written/illustrated tutorials, FS Developer Wiki submissions, white-papers on specific topics of interest, and even one-on-one email exchanges with other people.

FFDS (Free Flight Design) used to be the 'go-to' place and still has a lot of valuable information, but FS Developer is now the really hot 'go-to' place as noted above. In the last 26 years I can count the number of such selfish folks as you've characterized on one hand.

I know that I personally invest at least 10 to 15 hours each week in aggregate trying to pass along what I've learned to the next generation. At my age, I count each new day as a blessing! :)

Rick, that is a very unfair comment. There are many who've invested many hours in providing detailed help either through various forums, written/illustrated tutorials, FS Developer Wiki submissions, white-papers on specific topics of interest, and even one-on-one email exchanges with other people.

FFDS (Free Flight Design) used to be the 'go-to' place and still has a lot of valuable information, but FS Developer is now the really hot 'go-to' place as noted above. In the last 26 years I can count the number of such selfish folks as you've characterized on one hand.

I know that I personally invest at least 10 to 15 hours each week in aggregate trying to pass along what I've learned to the next generation. At my age, I count each new day as a blessing! :)

You are one of the better guys out there I'll have to say. It is more the younger generation that are out to be better than everyone else, they are less likely to share. I am just getting into the design area just now. I have done some painting, The F/A-18 New Hornet by Jimi is the only ones I felt good about sharing.

I am no spring chicken myself, days feel shorter, heck even the years are flying by now. I just turn 52.

Rick

I've got to say' date=' your VC looks amazing to a beginner like me who has no idea how to or even what MIP is. :) I think I'll see if FSX smooth it out, but to make it smooth, I need 500 sides or something, which will kill some FPS.[/quote']

I am a beginner myself. This is the first time I have tried. I am just now realizing that my CAD program saves to a 3DS format. I have always used my CAD program to draw house designs and then slipped from 2D line drawings to 3D a few years ago.

I got the itch to do the 777 cockpit when the cockpit for the 777-900X came with a cockpit that was more fitting for a 767. No way am I cutting down that cockpit, it just didn't fit the plane.

Once I get the information I need for the real 9X I will switch out avionics and go that route. At least that is my plan if this one comes out right.

Rick

Looking good to me, keep up the good work. I have to take a time out and research how I go about my next step with mine in Blender. Trying to get outer part of fuselage for the 777 now. I actually got the outer, need to figure out how to make windows an place them.

Rick

When it comes to how many sides to use think in terms of quads. Always use a multiple of 4 as this allows you to easily break the part into symmetrical sections. That will make sense as you progress on the project. In this case 48 sides would be the closest to your current 50.

Robert Kerr

There are proper tools for exporting from Blender to FSX that you can get at FSDeveloper. To the best of my knowledge ModelConverterX is not used. That said, my input on this thread is done. If you show up at FSDeveloper I'll probably be around to guide you further...

Robert Kerr

Archived