windows X update?

CessnaFlyer

hello all. I was wondering if any one took the update for windows 10 from Microsoft yet and if you have what is the experience with it? I have windows 8.1 on my laptop and keep getting the pop up for windows 10. was just wondering if it is an update I should take?
giving up on flight simulation for good:D

don't.

Many have seen problems with the update. Menaing that after the update they then need to format and install win10 from scratch.

Many have seen issues with fsx in win 10.

Also issues with hardware, drivers.

Virusscanners that get removed when upgrading, or other softwar that is missing after the pc boots after the upgrade.

Windows updates can not be refused in Win10, so you have little control.

Win10 gathers personal info about the user and relais it to MS. (targeted advertising, personal data.) I don't have the details on that, but many warned about it.

After going to 10, going back to the old OS is not easy either, the computer keeps wanting to upgrade.

I believe you have a great running system now. I wouldn't risk it.

Support for win7 lasts till jan-2020, for win8 lasts even longer.

My choice is to refuse the win10 update. (You need to work at doing that!! Crazy,. An odffer should be "you can take it, we won't bother you if you don't." Here you have to actively refuse it, and even then you ge the offer again and again.)

I will keep using Win7 for now.

Once there really is no option but to "move along with the world" I will keep this PC for fsx, and buy a new one with win10 for other stuff.

Just type "Win10" or "win10 problem" in the search box here, and you will find a host of reported issues. Some reading, but very worthwhile.

Also google "win10 problem". You'll find plenty.

Here's a link that can help with stopping the update in it's tracks. It will remove the annoying "Do you want to Upgrade???" popups.

(you could still install it if you chose, it isn't a deefinitive no, just a "get rid of the annoyance.")

here's the thread.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?297848-How-Do-I-Stop-MS-from-Attemps-to-Load-Win-10-On-My-PC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

whoa. ok thank you sir. I also did a google you can uninstall the update associated with this update. that's what I did and got rid on the annoying pop up for it. and I hid the update on the updates list.

Whilst the issues highlighted by il88pp have hit some upgrades there are plenty of people who have not had such problems - me included. I have two rigs with FSX installed and have upgraded one of them from 8.1 to 10 with no problems whatsoever - no missing apps or driver issue etc - the key here is to prepare for the upgrade and ensure that all drivers and software is upto date.

In fact, the only problem I have experienced with FSX since the upgrade was when I decided to do a clean install of FSX onto a new second drive and got some well documented issue regarding the aircraft selection screen - easily resolved.

I suggest that you do search of this forum - there is plenty of info about the pros and cons of upgrading and how to resolve the relatively small number of issue that may occur.

If you do choose to upgrade I would suggest NOT using the Windows update option or the icon MS gives you but to follow the instructions found here - http://www.howtogeek.com/225048/how-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-or-8-to-windows-10-right-now/ - it gives excellent information on how to change settings to reduce the amount of data harvested by MS.

WRT to automatic updates - having used W10 for about 4 months now I have not had any issues caused by them.

WRT to switching back to the original OS - Can be done within 30 days and a simple trawl of the internet will give you the information to stop downloads of W10 repeating.

My opinion - Yes I prefer W7, but W10 isn't as bad as people make out and upgrading to it , with a bit of preparation, can be painless. What issue I have experienced with FSX were easily resolved.

The only area of caution I will refer to is to do with payware add-ons. If the payware author used any anti-piracy tool on the installation disk that requires SECDRV to be present it won't install on W10. MS totally removed SECDRV from W10 and there is currently no workaround like there is for W7/8/Vista - where they disabled but did not remove SECDRV using a now 'in-famous- update.

Obviously, this doesn't affect downloaded payware and any such payware installed at the time of the upgrade - the problem will only come if you decide to delete the product and do a fresh install.

Regards

Brian

oh ok. well I think I will just stick with 8.1 then cause it is working. I told Microsoft to bugger off with that any way. I was just wondering if they had all the bugs ironed out yet. but from the sounds of it getting it through automatic updates does not sound like they did.

WRT MS pestering with the W10 update - be aware that MS still pushes out 'hidden' updates again every once in a while. Make a note of the offending WU KB number and, if you haven't done so already, set WU to inform you when updates are available but not to download until you tell it to. I also suggest that if you are not sure what an KB will provide that you click on the individual update and then select the 'More Information' link in the right hand pane - it will give you a more detailed explanation of what the update does than the vague and very misleading info displayed above it. See my post at https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?296720-Windows-7-and-8-Updates-10-Feb-2016&p=1964795#post1964795 for some relevant info.

WRT MS ironing out the bugs - Long term it will get better but, in fairness, a large number of 'bugs' are not actually down to MS but more the result of other 3rd party vendors 'allowing' MS to push incompatible drivers that they have passed to MS to include in updates.

It should also be noted that MS provide a tool to stop incompatible 3rd party drivers being re-download and installed by WU. Unfortunately, to use it you must have first experienced a problem!!

Regards

Brian

Archived