lja

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me with the following problem please?

Basically I have a BGL file which is a static aircraft. I have added it to ADE using the library object manager and it all seemed fine when i put it in my scenery. But, once in FSX the object was invisible and not there. To see if it was the specific file that was the issue I did the same with some other BGL files, Still, nothing!

Any help would be great thanks

:confused:

It may be that the object requires a specific texture file(s) to be present on the system in an object file. For example, it may rely on a specific AI model to be present. Does the base package where you obtained the .bgl have a read me file that might give details.

Regards

Brian

I have a BGL file which is a static aircraft.

Is that .bgl file in an active scenery folder?

Are the textures for that .bgl file in the texture folder that is paired with that active scenery folder?

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the fast reply. The file was basically made by me using a tool that turns fsx flyable aircraft to BGL static models so I'm not sure.

Don't know what you think I should do,

Thanks,

Lewis

Is that tool SAMM?

If so, it uses a specific folder arraignment.

Active scenery folder

----->scenery-contains the .bgl file

----->texture

----------------->folder with name of airplane- contains the texture files.

Does your look like that?

Is the top folder active in the Scenery Library?

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Hi again,

Here's the setup of my folder:

----------Active scenery folder

Scenery (contains BGL)

Texture (contains texture folder of the aircraft from SAMM)

2016-04-04.png2016-04-04 (1).png2016-04-04 (2).png

thanks

I see a folder named textures.

FS will not recognize that name, needs to be texture.

I also suspect you need to move the folder ...\Gibraltar\textures\texture up one level.

What is in that folder?

Is the Gibraltar folder active in the Scenery Library?

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

The file was basically made by me using a tool that turns fsx flyable aircraft to BGL static models

If you are using SAMM, FSDeveloper has a forum with instructions for that.

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

Hi again,

I have corrected the texture(s) issue and have moved the contents of the second texture folder up one. The contents are the textures of the aircraft from the samm folder,

the new setup is:

Gibraltar

--Texture

--Airbus A320-214 CFM Monarch Airlines

--BMP files

Still not showing the object at all,

help me bean! ;-)

If you used SAMM it should look like this:

Gibraltar (folder)

- scenery (folder)

- Airbus A320-214 CFM Monarch Airlines.bgl

- texture (folder)

- Airbus A320-214 CFM Monarch Airlines (texture folder)

- bmp files

bgl file and texture folder are those saved in SAMM Libraries folder.

I will keep asking until you answer, did you add Gibraltar to the Scenery Library?

Confirm the following...

1) You added Airbus A320-214 CFM Monarch Airlines.bgl to the Library Object Manager in ADE

2) You placed the model in your airport file

3) You compiled your ADE airport (this is not the same as saving)

4) You placed the ADE-generated .bgl(s) in an active scenery folder (I do not see them in your screenshot)

peace,

the Bean

PS. the link for the SAMM forum- http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/static-aircraft-model-maker.114/

Never argue with idiots.

Sorry, I did mean to answer you, Yes, Gibraltar is in my scenery library. I will now confirm steps:

Finally, it's probably me being stupid and reading it wrong but could you possibly elaborate on step 4? thanks for the link too, if I ever make payware you are getting free copies! ;-)

Thanks

What The Bean means by step 4 is....

For the file to be read and displayed in FS, it must be placed in an active and correctly configured folder.

FS provides one such folder a default folder called Addon Scenery which contains two required subfolders - scenery and texture. This default folder is automatically recognised by the sim. If you place the .bgl and textture files directly into the respective subfolders, as detailed by in the other posts, it will be automatically recognised and will loaded/displayed.

However, if you place the .bgl file within a dedicated folder (ie Gib) within the default Addon Scenery\scenery folder (i.e. at Addon Scenery\scenery\Gib\scenery) it will not be recognised.

You can, if you wish, place addon scenery outside of the sim but you must tell the sim the location. So you could create a folder outside of FS called Gib with two subfolders called scenery and texture and then point FS to that location.

Note, it is a must to place .bgl files in the scenery subfolder and textures files in the texture subfolder. If you simply place them in the root folder (ie Gib) or in folders with

other names, the scenery will not be recognised even if you point FS to them ( eg texture works but textures won't).

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the fast and helpful reply, and yes since reading it I have placed the BGL file directly into Addon scenery/Scenery

and the texture FILE (Airbus A320-214 CFM Monarch Airlines) into the default texture folder

(addon scenery/texture),

and still no aircraft. do I need to add the BMP textures direct in the texture folder

(Addon scenery/texture/BMP files), or leave it as (addon scenery/texture/Airbus A320-214 CFM Monarch Airlines/BMP files)?

Any help would be great and good luck understanding all that!

Thanks

do I need to add the BMP textures direct in the texture folder

(Addon scenery/texture/BMP files), or leave it as (addon scenery/texture/Airbus A320-214 CFM Monarch Airlines/BMP files)?

Leave them in ../addon scenery/texture/Airbus A320-214 CFM Monarch Airlines/BMP files

Addon scenery/texture should do the job. You cannot use sub folders of either scenery or texture folders as they will never be read by the sim as longbreak has already explained

This is not entirely true.

We are talking about an airplane that has been converted to a scenery object with the SAMM tool.

This tool uses an unusual file structure such as that noted above.

It works because SAMM codes a specific texture path into the model. This can confuse people that are used to the traditional folder structure.

To address my point #4, when you edited the airport in ADE you compiled that airport into a .bgl file.

Where is that file?

SAMM has generated an object library .bgl file, unless you use SAMM to also place the object (which I think you can do, I have not used SAMM in a while) this object will never show up in the sim without some object placement code.

You added the SAMM-generated object library .bgl file to the ADE Library Object Manager, then placed the object at an airport in ADE. For FS to see this object placement code you have to compile the airport in ADE which will generate another .bgl file. This .bgl file needs to be in an active scenery folder.

If the ADE-generated .bgl file(s) are not in an active scenery folder you will never see your plane in FS.

Also note that depending on what other files you have for that airport, where that ADE-generated file is located is important.

If another file for that airport includes an exclusion rectangle that covers the area where you want this plane, and that file gets read after the ADE-generated .bgl file, the plane will not show up.

So, where is that ADE-generated .bgl file?

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Hi,

The ADE BGL file is in addon scenery\scenery\Gibraltar\Scenery, as well as that there is no exclusion rectangle near the object, and, like you said, the textures are left in the airbus sub folder,

this is confusing because at first glance, everything looks ok!

In your screenshot above, there is a couple .bgl files in there for Gibraltar.

What are they and where did you get them?

What happens if you move them out of the scenery folder and test?

You could also try renaming the ADE .bgl by adding a ZZZ_ suffix to the file name.

This will ensure that the ADE.bgl is read last.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Sorry, my last post made no sense! My keyboard stuck.

The scenery folder has two BGL files, one is the airport, the other is some photoscenery around it. I have also tries the zzz idea and it is still not working

;-(

You could also try renaming the ADE .bgl by adding a ZZZ_ suffix to the file name.

This will ensure that the ADE.bgl is read last.

peace,

the Bean

Sorry, my last post made no sense! My keyboard stuck.

The scenery folder has two BGL files, one is the airport, the other is some photoscenery around it. I have also tries the zzz idea and it is still not working

;-(

I will ask again...

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Hi again,

Sorry I didn't seem to answer your question I misread it. OK, Here we go:

I made the scenery myself using ADE and SBX.

I have removed the second BGL file, (the photoscenery)

The LXGB File that is remaining is the ADE BGL file containing the airport.

The only other file in the folder is the Airbus A320 BGL.

So now my Gibraltar\Scenery folder contains:

Airbus A320-214 CFM Mortnarch Airlines (SAMM Aircraft)

and 'LXGB' (airport)

Sorry if that sounded patronising!

Thanks

Archived