"W" key no longer opens the minipanel

jgspangler

I am running FS2004, 9.1, no disk, with Precision Flight Controls jet yoke and serial throttle quadrant plus 14 Go flight modules and 2 monitors. I recently added an external FMC and upgraded to FSUIPC 3.99z9 which works fine. Somehow in the many changes recently made, the "W" key stopped calling up the minipanel. The "default" entry is in the "aircraft" folder and has a valid PANEL.CFG file in it. I can not find any entry in the control assignment section to link "W" to the minipanel although in the views menu, "Maximize View" is called with the "W" key. (it closes the panel on my cockpit view monitor thus maximizing the outside view, and closes the window entirely on my "out the window scenery" monitor.) I have tried trading the FS9.cfg file for another version of FS9.cfg from another computer which does call the minipanel, but it does NOT call the minipanel on my current main FS computer. Any thoughts about what I am missing? Thanks sdflyguy:pilot::confused:

The MiniPanel.cab was is place but just to be sure, I replaced it with a known working copy - - no joy. It is frustrating that my old copy of FS2004 on the old computer has a minipanel which works perfectly. I have hunted for over 2 weeks comparing files to try to find the difference in it and the new, non functioning flight sim. No luck. - - bummer. I'll try anything someone suggests ( except a complete reinstall- the last time I did that it took over 6 months to get all the extra add ons and files installed and working.) NTL, I really love FS and fly an hour or 2 every day.

The MiniPanel.cab was is place but just to be sure, I replaced it with a known working copy - - no joy. It is frustrating that my old copy of FS2004 on the old computer has a minipanel which works perfectly. I have hunted for over 2 weeks comparing files to try to find the difference in it and the new, non functioning flight sim. No luck. - - bummer. I'll try anything someone suggests ( except a complete reinstall- the last time I did that it took over 6 months to get all the extra add ons and files installed and working.) NTL, I really love FS and fly an hour or 2 every day.

You could try resetting your key assignments to the default settings, and see if that works.

If it does work ,you may have to re-set any custom assignments you have set for your joystick.

I have had to do this in the past ,and its no big deal.

HOWEVER! Back up your orig fs9 cfg ,as there is a more efficient way of achieving the same result as i have described above( someone here will surly know)

But as an iinterim ,back up your original fs9 cfg ,reset assignments to the default ,open fs9 and test the W key.

I am not sure exactly what your issue is ,but I would absolutely bet it does not warrant a complete rein of 9.

Cheers Andy

Hello

I note you say you have borrowed an fs9 cfg from your other PC .( and that didn't work)

Have you tried saving your fs9 cfg closing the Sim ,restarting and letting it rebuild a completely new one and trying that.

It seems from what you said previously that this probably won't work, but it's worth trying anything in these circumstances.

How about getting hold of another joystick ,even a fairly basic one and trying that rather than your present controller and see if that works ?if it does it may indicate a problem with your preferred stick .

Anyways some thoughts

Andy

Hey, Socks, I'm willing to bet you nailed it with your suggestion about resetting key assignments to default. He mentioned in the first post about the W key bringing "Maximize View" instead of panel on/off or with my Sim..."Next Panel".

When viewing using the W key in the 2D panel mode, you are viewing "Panels" as opposed to Shift+1 through Shift+9 viewing "Windows".

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hey, Socks, I'm willing to bet you nailed it with your suggestion about resetting key assignments to default. He mentioned in the first post about the W key bringing "Maximize View" instead of panel on/off or with my Sim..."Next Panel".

When viewing using the W key in the 2D panel mode, you are viewing "Panels" as opposed to Shift+1 through Shift+9 viewing "Windows".

OK Zip

Whether my suggestion works or not, iam a bit concerned the OP will have to re set any customised settings for his stick after re setting key assignments to the default ,if he is aufait with these things then its no big deal ,but if a novice then it could be problematic.

I do know that I had a lot problems like this many years ago ,my customised key assignments would randomly and with no input (at least not consciously ) from me just stop working .

The only solution I found was to reset the assignments to default ,re set my customised settings and all was hunky dory again.

I think sure there is a prettier and possibly quicker way of achieving the same result ,but I can't remember how exactly.

The good news ,if? the OPs troubles are being caused by this assignments thingy then my method of solving the problem definitely works.

If not then ho hum ,there are plenty of clever simmers out there (including your good self of course) that should eventually get this sorted.

I bet that a complete rein of 9 is not required though.

Cheers Andy

Panel On/Off (wide view)=W Shouldn't this be the command that is executed when the W key is pressed?

Not in FS9.

The default assignment for the "W" key is

PANEL_HUD_TOGGLE=87,8

...and should be in the [KEYBOARD_MAIN] section of your FS9.cfg.

In the Control Assignments GUI it is listed as panel on/off.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Not in FS9.

PANEL_HUD_TOGGLE=87,8

peace,

the Bean

I guess Google Searching for FS2004 control key buttons assignments didn't pay off!

Google Searching did result in this from the SimFlight Forum between Pete Dowson and another fellow "with changed key buttons" from an FSUIPC download.

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/63182-keyboard-commands/

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Not in FS9.

PANEL_HUD_TOGGLE=87,8

peace,

the Bean

I can confirm that this is correct "on paper", and in practice pressing 'W' replaces the 2D panel with the minipanel. Press 'W' again and it disappears. Press 'W' a third time and the 2D panel reappears.

So, some other program, panel.cfg or utility which uses keyboard commands must be also using 'W'.

I would change it (whatever it is for) to shift+W to remove the conflict.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks to you all! I have tried many of these things including erasing the fs9.cfg file and letting FS rebuild it. No luck. And "W" does not work even if there is a minipanel in the Panel.cfg file, as with the C182. I'm betting it has to do with the install of the new FSUIPCV 3.999z9 and the installation of the External EasyFMC on a separate tablet - which works just fine BTW. So I started messing with FSUIPC and decided to switch the calibration of the yoke, throttles (PFC) and the rudders to the FSUIPC config and calibrate program. Well, my old yoke is in a serial port and I guess FSUIPC doesn't do serial and all at once I got NOTHING! I even bought a serial->USB cable for the yoke and FSUIPC still can't see the output of the yoke. 1200 aircraft, 11,000 gau files, gobs of scenery, and I can't access the flippin' controls. Mama Mia!! ( that ain't what I actually screamed late that sorry night.) But with all those files and 11 years invested, I will not do a reinstall. So I'm going to have a glass of wine or three and try to sort out the mess tomorrow. Thanks for all your help. Maybe, serendipitously, the minipanel will reappear. But I'm not getting blue holding my breath.

Thanks to you all! I have tried many of these things including erasing the fs9.cfg file and letting FS rebuild it. No luck. And "W" does not work even if there is a minipanel in the Panel.cfg file, as with the C182. I'm betting it has to do with the install of the new FSUIPCV 3.999z9 and the installation of the External EasyFMC on a separate tablet - which works just fine BTW. So I started messing with FSUIPC and decided to switch the calibration of the yoke, throttles (PFC) and the rudders to the FSUIPC config and calibrate program. Well, my old yoke is in a serial port and I guess FSUIPC doesn't do serial and all at once I got NOTHING! I even bought a serial->USB cable for the yoke and FSUIPC still can't see the output of the yoke. 1200 aircraft, 11,000 gau files, gobs of scenery, and I can't access the flippin' controls. Mama Mia!! ( that ain't what I actually screamed late that sorry night.) But with all those files and 11 years invested, I will not do a reinstall. So I'm going to have a glass of wine or three and try to sort out the mess tomorrow. Thanks for all your help. Maybe, serendipitously, the minipanel will reappear. But I'm not getting blue holding my breath.

As i suggested earlier in this thread.

Have you tried resetting your keyboard assignments to the default ???

A.

I've been using FSUIPCV 3.999z9 ever since it came out a few years back, with no problems at all.

"NEW" is a very relative term when it comes Mr. Dowson's FSUIPC for FS9. I don't recall exactly when it came out, but there was a note when it did, indicating that it was the last update for FSUIPC for FS9.

Nowadays he sticks to FSX and FSX-SE, as well as P3D, but no more FS9.

I believe it's unlikely, unless you have the payware version, that it is your problem. Even if it IS the payware version, can you replace the .INI file with the vanilla, default one?

Just a thought...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Try removing the addon FMC, any hardware, and any extra monitors.

Return the sim to one monitor and see if the minipanel shows up.

FTR, rebuilding the FS9.cfg should have reset the controls to default.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Try removing the addon FMC, any hardware, and any extra monitors.

Return the sim to one monitor and see if the minipanel shows up.

And

FTR, rebuilding the FS9.cfg should have reset the controls to default.

peace,

the Bean

Hello Bean

Would rebuilding the fs9 cfg also reset the keyboard assignments ,I would imagine it would ,but not sure

If? It does I will stop wearing out my fingers replying to this post.

A.

Hello again. I have not replaced the FSUIPC ini file with a default ini file but that is next up after I get the controls working again. Also, I think I did reset the keyboard assignments to default with the fs9.cfg default rebuild, but I will try that again from the "assignments" section in the sim. But first I have to untangle the damage I have done so far and get the yoke and rudders working. I am reading each of these posts carefully and trying each suggestion out as time permits. Thanks again for all your thoughts.

BTW, when I do press "W", it cycles thru just 2 steps of views, not 3. ie: regular 2d panel window - W - out the window without any panel - W - back to regular 2d panel window etc etc.

Instead of - - regular 2d panel window - W - minipanel - W - out the window without any panel - W - back to regular 2d panel window.

I don't know if that is important. When (if) I get this solved, I will shout it out here and let you know what the fix was.

Archived