Newbie - just wanted to say hi!

MercuryFlyer

Hello simmers,

I look forward to future discussions and talks about flight simulation. For me this began back in 2000 when I first met my ex-wife and was able to afford my first simulator, FS2000. I had seen my friends dad use a flight sim and myself was given a flight lesson in America for my 8th birthday, it changed my life. So now I have the ability to get one I did. I have flown many times as a child and loved it, sadly these days you don't get access to the cockpit so I feel really privileged that when I was young I got a trip to the cabin on every trip and chatted with the pilots. For me I do no think I ever will really get to fly a plane as I have epilepsy, so learning how to on the computer is the next best thing for me in fulfilling my dream of being a pilot.

Over the years I upgraded to FS2004 and finally to FSX and only have recently had a good enough computer to be satisfied with the results I get and what I want in flight sim. I am currently purchasing all the add ons that I have on my wishlist for both aircraft and scenery as well as making a list for components I will need when I build my first sim. I want to build at sometime in the future a fully featured airline sim, as I am sure everyone wants as a simmer. At the moment I will simply put together a single engine/twin engine simulator with buying the saitek instruments, yoke and pedals equipment. Firstly I need to upgrade my laptop to a desktop and assemble the computer parts needed. I would love to hear from everyone on their thoughts, their set ups and what systems you use and what your wish list is.

Keep on Flying!

Adam

..I have flown many times as a child and loved it..

You're tougher than me mate, as a kid I only flew once in 1958 aged 10 as a passenger with my dad in a Taylorcraft Auster joyride flown by a pilot over Great Yarmouth (England) and hated it because I was on the verge of being airsick the whole time, and when we landed my mother said I looked as white as a sheet, so I never wanted to fly again through the rest of my childhood..:)

As an adult I flew as a passenger twice more to see if I'd grow to like it, a joyride in a Cessna 172 over Leicester and a glider trip over Leics with the same results, I hated it and nearly threw up both times.

After that I've avoided flying like the plague, never been in anything else, not even airliners, and I stick to FSX flying from my armchair..;)

Welcome aboard!

Always nice to have a new victim...errr....MEMBER to talk to :D

I've been flying my entire life (dad was a UAL Captain for many many moons) and loved every second of it. I even went and got my glider's license when I was 14. Had a BLAST playing with the hawks that lived around Calistoga. They seemed to enjoy it too :) Went and got my Powered at 16, lost it at 17 flying inverted at 50'ACL (Above Cow Level :D ) over a herd of cows in a Citabria. Got called in to the FAA by a UAL 737 on approach to KSFO.

I treid to gett my license again when I was mid 20's but lost my eye, so I had to give that thought up. Yes, I could get a waiver, just too much trouble. And learning to fly with one eye is TOUGH! Try is sometime. Wear a patch or something and see how well you do, even just in normal life. It's a challenge.

Anyway...

I would love to hear from everyone on their thoughts, their set ups and what systems you use and what your wish list is.

Processor power is what you need for FSX. As much as possible. A 6-Core I7 is ideal, for example, but at least 4-Core I5 at a minimum. A good GPU is also helpful, but remember that MSFS, whatever sort, is CPU dependant more than GPU.

6GB RAM is a good place to start for memory, bearing in mind the MSFS's are 32 bit softwares and can't use more than 4GB of VAS.

And a good PSU, say 600W or better.

Finally, a good cooling system is vital. Keepig the CPU adequately cooled is a critical item in designing a system.

I am sure I am neglecting something, somewhere, and that there will be many people telling me where :rolleyes: :D

Hope all that answers you question adequately. Or at least gives you an idea or two...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

..I would love to hear from everyone on their thoughts, their set ups and what systems you use and what your wish list is.

I splashed out 1100 GB pounds (1580 US dollars) on a big desktop PC a couple of years ago, I waltzed into our local computer shop and said in a loud voice so the other customers could hear and go green with envy- "Build me a super-duper PC capable of playing all the high-end games and sims out there, no expense spared", and they came up with exactly that. The moral?- Spend big and your computer will be like a gangland enforcer who'll clobber any glitches and bugs that dare to show up..:)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/guvnor2_zpswannra22.jpg~original

My enforcer specs-

Proc: Intel Core i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Mem: 16 GB RAM

Graph: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770

Archived