Many crashes lately...

torx0148

Copied from a ticket to dovetail:

Subject: FSX steam edition constant crashes lately.

So lately (past 3 months) my fsx steam edition have been crashing, sometime due to API.DLL, sometimes NTDLL.DLL, sometimes it just crashes without any log being made. SO, i decided to reinstall the game about a month ago, and of course i just installed 50GB of addons, without testing which one made it crash... So i have been taking a long break from FSX now. But yesterday i decided to reinstall FSX steam edition, and it worked kinda fine by itself, the only problem is (mores or less); i cant go out of fullscreen (alt enter does not work), or alt tab. The most common and REALLY annoying issue is, that i cant even start the game, when i press "play" on steam, FSX pops up on the screen, (but the icon does not pop up in the bottom of the screen), and then the FSX just closes and disappears from the screen, didnt even get into the game. This happened JUST after the reinstall, no addons installed. Now if i spam the play bottom a few times, it will at some point actually open up, but then (at the moment) i just get API.DLL errors (API errors is when i alt tab, or alt enter, OR when i press the "fly" button from the menu (go into the game)), or nvwgf2um.dll errors (this is rare though, and i know it has something to do with my nvidia driver, as that is what the error message says), or (also rare) NTDLL.DLL errors. I currently have the beta of ezdok (1.8.x.x) installed (should work with fsx steam edition), and FSUIPC installed, and they do not affect the game at all (again i these errors happened even just after a reinstall, and just to make sure i disabled the addons, errors still happening). I also used sweetfx (a shade module), but i also just tried to remove that from FSX folder, and errors is still happening. I btw. also reinstall every single Microsoft C++ (from 2005 to 2015), that did not help either. Now the only thing i can say is that is not the addons, and maybe not the game.

SO, just to sum up, the problems are right now; API.DLL, and random crash with no windows log or anything when i startup the game. BUT, i do have a log created by FSX, which i attached as a file. I hope this log says something, because i am seriously out of ideas, i was sure it had something to do with the addons, or the shade module, but after doing clean reinstall of everything that has something to do with FSX, i am lost. I really hope that you can see something by the FSX log i attach. Thank you

Best regards:

Tor

Not part of dovetail ticket:

Usely i am good at fixing my game myself, i never post on forums, but after reinstalling everything, i am seriously out of options, please help!

Here is some Windows logs there was made on API.DLL and NTDLL.DLL and nvwgf2um.dll crashes:

fsx.exe

559f9a9a

API.DLL

559f9ab5

c0000005

18b4

01d172646bbd6dd0

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\API.DLL

2174d362-728f-4580-a8d1-5f92751d4dc0

fsx.exe

559f9a9a

nvwgf2um.dll

56b9684f

c000041d

000799e9

25a8

01d17262a42d1cbb

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\nvwgf2um.dll

bcc3b1f0-cd51-42ba-bb76-e83f767a7976

fsx.exe

559f9a9a

ntdll.dll

56ad9358

c0000005

0003dc68

20e8

01d172607f92d84a

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

bcd1fdbc-ce3a-48dc-bd3e-a4b0b918f49b

This is the log created by FSX: (Cant upload to this website, invalid file)https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmb83fyopg71jsh/fsx_62615_crash_2016_2_28T20_14_1C0.mdmp?dl=0

Hey. Thanks for replying!

Not to be rude or disrespectful or anything, but the links you've given me is basicly redirecting me to a search on google, is this a mistake maybe? Searching on google is obviously the first thing you do before making your own post! :D

Thanks anyways i guess

Best regards

Tor

Thanks for the help anyways i guess.

Hi torx,

First a quick comment regarding the API.dll - you will have two versions; a default OS version AND a steam version. From what you have posted it appears that the steam version causing the issue so you only option will be to try and run a manual steam update.

As the NTDLL.dll file is solely an OS related file I would suggest running the System File Check (SFC) utility. SFC can be used to scan the integrity of all protected operating system files and replaces incorrect, corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions where possible, either from the restore partition or via the internet.

WARNING If you have modified your system files (including Windows DLL files) running sfc may, if errors are found, revert the some of the system files back to the default state and thus may impact on any other apps/programmes you have installed. In my experience most of the time the affected programme takes longer to open as it has to re-write information to the appropriate .dll file. In rare cases it may result in having to re-install the affected software (although I have never had to do this myself). I strongly recommend you backup any important data before hand and run the verify only option first to see what problems, if any, you have.

To run SFC go to Start > Run, type CMD and then click OK.

The resulting window should show an entry similair to this - C:\Users\youracctname>

Type cd\ and hit enter - this will take you back to the C:\ prompt

To start SFC type one of the command lines listed below and hit enter

If you just want to verify only type sfc /verifyonly (note the space between sfc and "/") - using this option no changes will be made if errors are found and when it has finished it will display a list of any errors found.

If you want to find and repair errors type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and "/") - using this option the program will automatically attempt to repair any errors found. At the end of the process one of the following messages will be displayed:

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them.

Note: The process can take a long while to run and may seem to have stalled - it hasn't just wait until you get the message stated above. If is also worth noteing that you may have to run the utiltiy several times to fix all the problems. If the first run found multiple problems and states that it was unable to fix some of them, rerun SFC again. This is because one of the un-repaired problem file probably relies on one of the now fixed files to run correctly.

If SFC still fails to repair all issues you can try the following utility which can be downloaded from http://thetechcookbook.com/automatic...ir-sfcfix-exe/

Another option would be to visit the MS website and manually download and install the latest version of the .dll.

Regards

Brian

....i cant go out of fullscreen (alt enter does not work), or alt tab....

Hit ALT to bring up the menu bar at the top of the screen and try unticking the Views> 'Fullscreen' option.

As regards crashes, think back to try to pinpoint the exact time when things went belly-up, for example if it was right after you installed an addon, the addon is probably to blame.

As for doing a clean FSX reinstall, there might still be bits of the old install lurking in the registry somewhere which need to be cleaned out to give you a 100% clean slate, I'm not a tech head so other peiople are better qualified than me to advise you in that respect.

Guys i almost feel embarrassed... turns out i just had to download Directx again... Usely on original fsx (not steam version), the disk has that, and it installs it automaticly. SO i just tried, cuz i reminded myself that FSX uses directx (of course), i downloaded this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

and suddenly now i can do everything i couldnt do before. (alt tab, alt enter, actually start the game, use the menu while flying ingame and all that stuff that would/can make you crash). I actually hope this helps someone else, because it comes as a SERIOUS surprise to me. And all you people that helped me, thanks. Longbreak i will be doing "sfc /scannow" anyways actually, just to make sure.

Thank you all! Hopes this help someone else

#Solved

edit: Sh*****t... that means i deleted +80Gb of addons for nothing. I cri ;-;

Guys i almost feel embarrassed... turns out i just had to download Directx again... Usely on original fsx (not steam version), the disk has that, and it installs it automaticly. SO i just tried, cuz i reminded myself that FSX uses directx (of course), i downloaded this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

and suddenly now i can do everything i couldnt do before. (alt tab, alt enter, actually start the game, use the menu while flying ingame and all that stuff that would/can make you crash). I actually hope this helps someone else, because it comes as a SERIOUS surprise to me. And all you people that helped me, thanks. Longbreak i will be doing "sfc /scannow" anyways actually, just to make sure.

Thank you all! Hopes this help someone else

#Solved

edit: Sh*****t... that means i deleted +80Gb of addons for nothing. I cri ;-;

Isn't it amazing how much money we spend to make ourselves absolutely miserable!! If anything else we owned, beyond computers and perhaps a smart phone, made us this unhappy we'd demand our money back. However, we just spend more money and frustrate ourselves even more often!! :rolleyes:

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Omg... i dont understand! So...... I am almost sure its because of IVAO now, you see i said it worked, and it did. But then i flew ONE time on IVAO, which also worked fine, but when i then next time tried to run the game, all the same errors happened... ntdll, API, and the GPU error. Also just tried reinstalling directx again, but that didnt help. This is getting so much on my nerves...

Can anyone tell me how much more optimized P3D is? Isnt v.3.x.x 64 bit and runs directx 11? I am seriously considering to buy that game...

EDIT: And it does not help to deactivate the IVAO addon, i basicly made a new DLL.XML in appdata, so i wouldnt load in any of the addons, but i am still crashing. This is so annoying

Can anyone tell me how much more optimized P3D is? Isnt v.3.x.x 64 bit and runs directx 11? I am seriously considering to buy that game...

If it is an addon that causes these crashes of FSX SE, then it will probably crash P3D too. Provided that it even works, P3D is not 100% FSX compatible any more.

No P3D is not 64 bit, but yes, the graphics engine has been updated to DX11. And just in case that you switched to Windows 10, P3D does not officially run with that.

Archived