Why can't I crash into buildings?

vomacka

YES... I have crash detection turned on.....

I was NOT in slew mode....

I was sitting at at a gate at KEWR and accidentally bumper/pushed the throttles to the max (brakes were off) sending the plane forward into the terminal building. When I stopped, the nose of the plane was inside the terminal building, with NO crash indication(!?)

I double checked my contact points for the POSKY 757 and they were set up correctly.

So then I started to experiment...

I pushed the throttles forward and started to taxi through the entire airport and parked AI planes. The only building that gave me a "crash" was some hanger building in the cargo area.

There is nothing that I can see in the default AFCAD that indicates the default buildings have "crash" detection on(?).

Is there any way to adjust the default airport buildings so that they will give a crash indication when you (accidentally) contact them? Not to mention all the other objects (Jetways, vehicles, etc..) on the airport.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Scott

P.S.

I tried this with the default 737 and the results were the same, no crash detection

Windows 10 Home 64bit. FSX Deluxe with Acceleration. Motherboard: ASUS Prime H310M-E R2.0 LGA1151 (Intel 8th Gen) DDR4 HDMI VGA H310 Micro ATX. Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-8350K. Video: EVGA GeForce GT 1030 DDR4, 02G-P4-6232-KR, 2GB SDDR4. Memory: Kingston (2X 8Gb) 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz.

I would think it all depends on how much work was put into that particular airport. Most are fairly transparent to crashes. I have accidentally brushed by a tug and it caused a crash. Sometimes invisible objects will cause a crash condition. At a few airports, my wing grazed a building corner and the aircraft insurance man was knocking on my door.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I would think it all depends on how much work was put into that particular airport. Most are fairly transparent to crashes. I have accidentally brushed by a tug and it caused a crash. Sometimes invisible objects will cause a crash condition. At a few airports, my wing grazed a building corner and the aircraft insurance man was knocking on my door.

Yes, I never taxi to sight-see at an unfamiliar airport without turning crash detection off! It's maddening to have a good flight crashed by running into an invisible object.

I also notice some airports have static "heavies" sticking out of each side of some buildings. Apparently designing sim objects isn't an exact science.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Ha ha, Sim service vehicles search out my taxiing AC and will stop right in front of me. I cured that by backing out the view to see them coming. The little @#$%^!!

So yesterday, I finish a +hour flight with clearance to land an A-320, concentrating on the instruments; wheels on the ground, and I crash into a Cessna sitting on the runway= equals end of flight. No word from the tower to go-around? What is this!!!!! Oh I know--expect the unexpected. Some craft will crash buildings, some of mine will not. At times if you do not set the brakes at the gate starting out, a Jet will hit the tow--pow--end of game at the beginning. Interesting. Never a dull moment.

Redd

Crash boxes on buildings are not exact and can cause a crash when pulling into a terminal gate parking spot. Therefore, it is best for the crash detection to be eliminated on terminal/concourse buildings compiled into FSX scenery.

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

I faintly remember reading something about Microsoft taking the ability to crash in to buildings out of the sim after 9/11. I can not remember where I read it as that was numerous years ago.

The ability to crash into buildings remains in the sim. It's a matter of whether or not the building model has a crash box included.

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

YES... I have crash detection turned on.....

I was NOT in slew mode....

I was sitting at at a gate at KEWR and accidentally bumper/pushed the throttles to the max (brakes were off) sending the plane forward into the terminal building. When I stopped, the nose of the plane was inside the terminal building, with NO crash indication(!?)

I double checked my contact points for the POSKY 757 and they were set up correctly.

So then I started to experiment...

I pushed the throttles forward and started to taxi through the entire airport and parked AI planes. The only building that gave me a "crash" was some hanger building in the cargo area.

There is nothing that I can see in the default AFCAD that indicates the default buildings have "crash" detection on(?).

Is there any way to adjust the default airport buildings so that they will give a crash indication when you (accidentally) contact them? Not to mention all the other objects (Jetways, vehicles, etc..) on the airport.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Scott

P.S.

I tried this with the default 737 and the results were the same, no crash detection

I posted this answer to your same question at FSdeveloper.

Crashing into the KEWR Terminal building will not work.

Many Terminal buildings are library scenery objects and the artist that made the buildings did not include a crash box (including the Jetway). The reason is the footprint of the scenery object can be larger then the actual building and you would crash if you got close to it. Since these type objects do not have a crash box modeled then turning on any FSX realism setting or checking or unchecking the no crash in ADE will do nothing.

There are many terminal buildings in FSX that are generic scenery object type buildings and will cause a crash if you taxi into it. The same applies to many of the scenery objects we add such as default static planes, vehicles, autogen objects, etc. Most all hangers are generic buildings so they also will cause a crash. This type scenery can be controlled by checking the No Crash check mark in ADE.

Vehicles that travel on freeways and on airport aprons from parking spot to parking spot will not cause a plane to crash. There is one vehicle you must avoid and that is the fuel truck that is used to visit the AI plane before takeoff and after landing/parking. This is also the same fuel truck that fuels the user plane when called using the shift + F keys. Based on realism settings in FSX this vehicle will cause a crash.

Archived