drifting badly on landing

Mel9Frank

:pilot::confused: Some aircraft in MS FS 2004 drift badly either right or left when landing. All attempts to straighten out the glide path fail, totally. This happens most all of the time with aircraft imported to 2004, not the stock aircraft. Can anything be done or is this some quirk in the downloaded aircraft. This is very frustrating.

Lots of possibilities, what troubleshooting have you done so far, what have you been able to eliminate? Crosswind? Joystick calibration? Uneven fuel / passenger / other_payload distribution? Uneven thrust (etc) engine thrust from multi-engined aircraft? off-centre trim(s)? What category aircraft does this happen (ie, jet/prop, single/multi engine), etc?
Steve from Murwilllumbah.

I don't believe that the majority of simmers out there have the time (or know how) to delve into 'why' a FS2002 airplane won't 'fly right' in FS2004. More likely they just delete it and go get something that does work right (ie: has good flight dynamics and you don't have controller problems or have the wrong setup for it).

If you post one example and let us (someone) test it and give you feedback then maybe you will find the definitve answer(s) and / or 'the fix'. Bear in mind that this will be a time consuming job so not many will be able to participate (or even 'care' anything about the specific model). But it's worth a shot as you have nothing to lose and hopefully plenty to gain. I myself get a kick out of 'fixing' these sub-par 'flight models' (which might even have 'flight dynamics' from FS98 or FS2000).

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

It is the viewpoint that is your problem.

It makes NO DIFFERENCE which sim version or airplane you are in, the centerline of the runway as you approach touchdown needs to be in the MIDDLE OF YOUR MONITOR, no matter how it may look in relation to the lateral relation to your panel.

Put a red sticky or something in the middle of your monitor frame along the bottom as a start and try keeping it in your scan - think of the sticky as part of your panel. Keep it lined up with the centerline using smooth corrections with aileron, a little rudder if necessary. I bet you will see an improvement.

If you don't believe me, put any airplane exactly on the centerline of any runway and lined up perfectly (use "go to airport", etc) then go back inside to a cockpit view. No matter where the centerline looks to be in relation to the panel, it will look to be in the center of your monitor.

Archived