VC Cockpit Question

flynby

Have FSX w/Accel. My favorite aircraft is the download FSX_Iris_Phantom_As_Ga.zip. Problem: In cockpit mode, I would like to know how to make the F/A 18 green VC screen work in the phantom - If possible. Eyesight keeps me from being able to see default screen that came with phantom. In phantom cockpit mode you have a virtual cockpit, then a mini panel, and finally a open screen. This is where I would like to see the F/A 18 VC screen. Is this possible?

What are the proper steps to take if this can be done? Many thanks.

I don't have Acceleration. When you say F/A 18 green VC screen is this the main screen in the cockpit that shows all of the vital info? I was just wondering if that screen could be made into a pop up that would show in the open screen?

Show a screenshot of the green VC screen. Just trying to determine if it's a HUD (heads up display) or an actual instrument in the panel.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Yes Sir. This screen shows the speed alt degree, ect. In the phantom, the mini panel screen blocks the AI carrier you are trying to land on. The F/A 18 does not.

Can you post a screenshot of what you are describing? I did notice that the Phantom will show just the HUD using Shift+1 and Shift+8.

Phantom.JPG

So, if I read this right, you want the F/A-18's HUD to show up as the 2D screen? Like the F/A-18 does?

Or do you just want to make the Phantom's (not me, silly!) VC lighting green vs red?

Can you put up a screenshot of just what F/A-18 screen you want showing in which "cockpit"? 2D? 3D (VC)? Minipanel?

I apologize, your question just isn't clear to me...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

To get the screenshot in post#7 I found what was called a default FA-18 HUD at the Simviation site. This is the change I made to the panel.cfg for window07 for the Phantom.

[Window07]

Background_color=0,0,0

visible=1

ident=MAIN_PANEL

alpha_blend=0.95

window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

window_size= 1.000, 1.000

size_mm=1024

gauge00=FA18_HUD_VC_R!FA18_HUD_VC_R, 330, 230,364, 712

I am not absolutely sure that the words in RED are exactly what you have in your FA-18 panel.cfg. If they don't match exactly, then use what is written in your .cfg.

Ok, here we go on a subject near and dear to my heart: The FSDT FSXBA F/A-18C.

IF you want just "a hud" to throw in quick that works sorta well, yes use the default F-18 hud.

If you want a much better HUD to utilze effectively, DL and install NEW_Realistic_HUD_for_the_FSX_Hornet.zip by Jivko Rusev, over on Avsim. Full installation is included in the Readme file.

NOW!! IF you want a GOOD, nay maybe even great, HUD, upgraded from Mr. Rusev's by the incredible Orion of the FSDT forums, you will need to DL a new version of the F/A-18C, by the amazing "Jimi" Hendricks, as well as Orion and a number of real-world F/A-18C/D/S/F pilots, all involved in the FSX Blue Angels Demo team. These are the guys, just so you know, who originally helped develop the default FSX Acceleration F-18.

The latest and greatest version can be found at THIS THREAD'S POST. And may I say great it truely is!! If you like Hornet's this is the plane for you. About as close to real world as it gets in the Sim world, bar none.

It is included in the plane, which comes with an auto-installer. Point it at a Temp file, and let it install to that. There should be a HUD_VC folder in the plane's Panel folder. It may be named Panel.fleet. In any event. Then use Mr. Zippy's instructions, but borrow from the plane's panel, not the default F-18's. Do not forget the HUD Control Panel, also included as a seperate pop-up in the plane's panel file. It gives you a lot of control over the HUD's features.

If you need more specific instructions, I can step you through the whole thing step by step, if you desire.

I hope all that helps a little bit...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

..I would like to know how to make the F/A 18 green VC screen work in the phantom.

As you've probably guessed by now the green thing is called a HUD and is standard on all modern fighters/fighter-bombers.

it stands for 'Head Up Display' because it's projected onto the windscreen so the pilot doesn't have to keep looking down at the instruments.

Yea Mr. Zippy. This is what I want to do. I thought this was considered a vcockpit03 in the

panel config. Not a window.

Nope. That's [Window00], or "the main panel" in the panel.cfg file. Having said that, the Phantom may well have more to it's Main Panel, or [Window00] section in the panel.cfg file. If it does, like a complete panel like the VC is, and the only way to get the HUD only to display is by hitting "W" when in 2D mode, then it's considered to be the "minipanel" window. If it is, look up at he top of the panel.cfg file for the Windows section, where it lists things like [Window00]=Main Panel, [Window01]=radio stack, etc etc, find one that says [WindowXX]=Minipanel (XX=the window # it is using), then scan down through the panel.cfg file till you find that [WindowXX] listed. It will look something like Mr. Zippy showed in his example.

Replace what IS in it with the HUD of you choice (ahem). You should just need to replace whats in the gauge00=THIS TEXT RIGHT HERE as he showed, with the HUD you want. Then when you hit the W key in the 2D cockpit, the HUD you want will show up, vice the one that's there.

You may need to tweak the positioning of it slightly to get the Horizon Lines to sit right on the world's Horizon when on the ground (that is the proper way to position a HUD display), but that's a minor problem. You may also need to tweak the size of the HUD also, to get it to display the way you like it to, but again, a very minor problem.

Now, they may have included it in the VC as [vcockpit03] so that the HUD showed in the VC, but the one you were looking for is the one Zippy showed you in his screencaps.

If you want to know how to change the lighting in the VC from red to green, that is a whole nother subject, but I can try to help with it if you want...

Does that help at all?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived