Progression from Cesena 172 to Caravan

aarong89

Hi,

Stupid newb question! Been playing flight sim for a while mostly self taught with some guidance from youtube videos. Been flying with a 172 and am able to take off level fly and land using visual flight moderately well.

I wanted to try out the Cesena caravan but after take off and when i level fly the cockpit obscures my view of the air ahead. Its almost as if my nose is pitched too high whilst i am level flying and even when descending up to around 400feet per minute i can't see ahead. It makes approaching for landing very difficult because i can't actually see the PAPI so i have to set up an additional screen with an outside view which isn't realistic.

My explanation is a rubbish because Im not sure of the correct terminology so I've attached some pics from youtube videos. One showing level flying where you can see ahead and one in which the view is obscured.

I have tried moving the seat up and play with my cockpit view completely zoomed it. It feels like Im flying the plane wrong??

My view is like this even when level flying.jpg

Can see ahead.jpg

Pic 2 seems about right for level flight at your cruise altitude. It will take some practice making the change from the C-172 to the Caravan. I don't know if you have tried any of the Missions, but the Catalina Spa Mission uses the Caravan with some interesting landing options.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I think I had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday.

Started messing with the seat, the aircraft.cfg file. None of it helped.

Then realised it was not in just one plane, but in all.

I thought "what affects everything" -- Yes, the fsx.cfg file.

I had made some changes in it I had found online.

Eventually I discovered it was "WideViewAspect=True" that had caused it.

Open your FSX.cfg file, finde:

WideViewAspect=True

and change to:

WideViewAspect=False

I just did a test, with the default Cessna Caravan.

These shots were taken full-screen

my resolution is 1440x900

I had to resise the images because they were too many mb, but disregard that, it is about what part of the VC is visible.

I did not go so far as to do a test flight to check the view in flight.

WideViewAspect=True:

WideViewAspect=True - kopie.jpg

WideViewAspect=False

wideviewaspect=false - kopie.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron,

Personally, I would adjust the Eyepoint to whatever makes it comfortable for you to see.

Sure, you'll be adjusting it up and down for a particular situation... it might not be quite 'realistic', but it comes in handy, especially when Landing.

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

...I wanted to try out the Cesena caravan but after take off and when i level fly the cockpit oII have tried moving the seat up and play with my cockpit view completely zoomed it. It feels like Im flying the plane wrong??

If you're talking about FSX go to page 35 of this thread (link below)where I posted sensational Eyepoint screenshots of how to get things looking good, but remember you can only raise/lower the seat in the 2D cockpit, whereas in the 3D (Virtual) cockpit you can move your eyepoint up/down/back/forward/left/right like Viperpilot said, which in conjunction with the zoom in/out keys and smooth panning gives you tremendous flexibility of the viewpoint.

Oh, and don't start tweaking files except as a last resort if nothing in the link helps-

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?248567-How-do-you-keep-FSX-interesting/page35

Archived