FSX New User Question

Marcongj

Hi All,

New to the forum here, and am about to download FSX from the steam store. Was a huge flight sim fan years ago mostly with FS 2004 and so on. Wanted to know what mods everyone suggest I download to get the game started. Looking for AI traffic etc..

Thanks All!

Oh my, there is a can of worms!

You aer gonna get as many answers as there are people in this forum. And they'll all be different, I promise.

Welcome indeed to the forums, and I'm just gonna sit back and watch this one! I know I'll learn new stuff too. :D

Have fun!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

..Wanted to know what mods everyone suggest I download to get the game started..

NONE! Adding addons is like russian roulette and there's always a chance FSX won't like it and throw a tantrum, so at least play the default sim for a while first, then only think about addons in a few weeks.

I've had FSX for 8 years and have only added a strip of southern england photoscenery and some addon planes in all that time because default FSX is so beautiful straight out of the box.

Here comes my stock joke- FSX is like starting to date a gorgeous woman, you'd wait at least a few weeks til you got to know her before trying to talk her into wearing a Wonder Woman outfit or she might take offence..:)

I'm with Pat on this one, primarily because I don't use FSX. I made the decision to stick with FS9 and have never regretted it. Now, if you'd asked about that, well, at this point my FS9 is so stuffed with add-ons that it would take a book to list them.

I don't have steam but this is a biggy of a question. As far as I know most FSX software will run on steam if that,s all you have eg without an FSX installation. Something to do with registry entries becoming confused between the two. Just do your research in the various forums and developers for compatibility issues. Not all that helpful I suspect.

I don't have steam but this is a biggy of a question. As far as I know most FSX software will run on steam if that,s all you have eg without an FSX installation. Something to do with registry entries becoming confused between the two.

I do run Steam, and I've discovered that the biggest problem most add-ons have with it is the auto-installers. Steam buries FSX deeper in it's folder structure (I still call them directories. Old DOS user...) than regular, or Boxed FSX.

As a general rule, I don't trust autoinstallers, anyway, and ALWAYS point them at an empty "temp" folder, and let them install to there, then cut-n-paste to the game (SIM, sorry) myself. If it messes up, I can easily UN install it. Myself. Little more work, great returns in the form of not having to re-install FSX every other add-on.

This is just me, though. My own, personal method.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

No matter what you do, it is always a good rule to (1). defragment you FSX hard drive (unless you have SSD) and when you are done installing FSX. (2). Always create a Restore Point before you run any (ANY) 'exe' (self mauler I call them) whether it is an airplane or scenery. Being able to restore the registry back to what is was before things went wrong is PRICELESS and simple common sense.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

No matter what you do, it is always a good rule to (1). defragment you FSX hard drive (unless you have SSD) and when you are done installing FSX. (2). Always create a Restore Point before you run any (ANY) 'exe' (self mauler I call them) whether it is an airplane or scenery. Being able to restore the registry back to what is was before things went wrong is PRICELESS and simple common sense.

Chuck B

+1 on Chuck's suggestions. Ill go one step further.

BEFORE YOU "UPDATE" ANY SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD SOLID RUNNING CURRENT RESTORE POINT AND THAT YOUR FILES THEMSELVES ARE BACKED UP!! Many "updates" can easily become a downgrade. And a lot of them will shut you down altogether.

BACKUP YOUR FILES AND VERIFY YOUR RESTORE WORKS EVERY SINGLE TIME! THEN MAKE YOUR CHANGE.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Thanks all!

Can I get a few recomondations on the following:

Best freeware aircraft?

Best freeware airport?

Best AI Traffic?

1. Depends on what you want. Military-search by developer..Milton Shupe, Dino Cattaneo, Manfred Jahn. Airliners...POSKY, TDS. Ga..There are some free older payware products available...CLS-Piper Arrow, JustFlight C-152.

2. Depends on where you like to fly into and out of!

3. I consider WOAI to the best. Others will have opinions.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

If you want "best freeware aircraft" in the Military area, FSDT has THE best F/A-18C ever there was, bar none.

There are carriers to land/launch from, and AICarriers.NET to control them, and there is vLSO if you want some jerk telling you how screwed up your recovery was, all the way through...

I don't do AI aircraft in a big way, but MAIW (Military AI Works) is the best I've found for the Military, sceneries and aircraft both.

I've heard, although I don't use it, that WOAI is about the best freeware AI controller...

Can you tell I stick to the military stuff?? Either that, or helicopter stuff. For FS9 there is a TON of sceneries and choppers you can use, over at Hovercontrol...

Not nearly as much for FSX, yet...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived