Issues with USB ports (I think)

GridNorth

I have a Saitek Multi-switch panel plugged into an overclocked i7 PC, running Windows 8.1 that does not operate consistently on my main PC. One symptom is that the Auto Throttle does not always respond and sometimes it responds some considerable time later. Another is that the ALT HOLD does not disengage when established on the localiser.

I have tried the panel on all of the ports on my PC, both USB 2.0 and 3.0 as well as a powered hub that I have(I am aware that there may be issues with USB 3.0) I have de-installed and re-installed the USB drivers but the problem persists.

I suspect that the problem lies with the USB ports on the PC but I'm not sure what to try next. I temporarily installed FSX on my laptop, without configuring all the features and the panel seemed to work fine on it. Does anyone have any ideas what to try next? Is it likely to be a hardware problem?

Alan

No need to mess with the sources. Just download the SPADv0.5.zip from the downloads page, there is a standard setup exe in it.

SPAD does not work like a driver, it is an external app that you have to start manually/willingly every time to make it work in the sim (like EZDOK, ASN or UT2). But I don't know how it will cooperate with the legacy Saitek drivers that are already there on your system, possible that there are conflicts or that it doesn't work at all (you would have to remove the Saitek drivers, which AFAIK is no easy feat).

IMO, if the Saitek drivers are installed, then they will take precedence over SPAD - you would have to remove them and use only SPAD. But AFAIK it is not too easy to really remove them completely. I stopped the Saitek driver installation right at the beginning, having read that the drivers have issues and have been using the SPAD ever since. Until now I have been lucky... I read a post about FSUIPC allegedly helping out with Saitek issues as well (but these are different issues to yours)

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?253095-Saitek-Multi-Panel-Problem

SPAD needs FSUIPC installed to work.
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1. 16.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3. Graphics 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 .... 4 X DELL 1920 x 1080 res screens. 1 TByte SSD + 2TByte internal SATA drive +8 TByte External Western Digital Hard Drives (SATA) Backups

Thank you that seems to have fixed the issue, at least the Auto Throttle one. I won't have time to check the ALT HOLD issue for a day or two. It's a bit of a poor show when 3rd party drivers work better than the manufacturers own and I shall be writing to Saitek about this.

Alan

One other issue which I've found more than one user has experienced. If you're using a lot of USB devices it can drag down the voltage and the ones that use the most current will not operate as they should.

It's probably a $20 purchase at the most to get a powered USB hub. Plug multiple USB items into the hub and it powers them and keeps the whole system up and running more predictably.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Hello, I am using Saitek_Pro_Flight_Instrument_Panel_07_9_40_9_Full_pfw.exe and the ProFlight_FSX_Plugin_07_0_40_9_x64_Software.exe drivers from Saitek.

Remember, if you have Saitek drivers allready installed, then you should them removed them completely. Disconnect all the saitek USB cables, then install the drivers as mentioned. Important, connect each Saitek one at one time and wait until detected device is installed !!!!!

check your xml.dll file in c:\ProgramData\your flightsim manufactor\flightsim folder

the contents should be like this:

Launch

exe.xml

False

False

Saitek DirectOutput RadioStack

False

C:\Program Files (x86)\Saitek\DirectOutput\SaiFlightSimX.exe

-run

SODE

False

C:\Prepar3D v3=\SODE\SimObjectDisplayEngine.exe