Just installed on W8.1 and it won't even open

jjaylad

Hi there,

I still have FS9 on my old laptop running Windows 7 and tonite decided to try it on my newer one running Windows 8.1

I installed it from the CD's and left disk 4 in the drive as the label instructed.

It installed in c:\Program Files (x86)

The installation seemed to go OK and once it was done I plugged in my Saitek Cyborg Evo Joystick and it seemed to install ok as well although I haven't tried to configure it yet as I thought I'd wait until I had the program running.

I have lots of scenery updates and aircraft that I purchased and downloaded, as well as environment files, world regions etc, which again ...I haven't installed yet.

When I attempt to run the program I get the "please log in as administrator and try again".

Since I am the administrator and I am logged in I next try 'run as administrator' and then get "Do you want to let the following program from an unknown publisher make changes to this computer?". I say yes and let it go and nothing at all happens. Absolutely nothing.

Hopefully I missing something pretty basic here and would be thankful if someone can assist.

Thanks,

JJ

I may be wrong but perhaps before you do any more uninstall FS and re-install it but this time don't put it in C:\Program Files (86x) put it in it's own folder out side that directory.

Others who have it running on 8.1 will will no doubt advise as well.

[quote=jjaylad;1964529.............and left disk 4 in the drive as the label instructed.

It installed in c:\Program Files (x86).............

JJ,

As Johnrgby has highlighted at post #5 the problem is likely to be the KB stated .Read this thread - https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?293089-Sim-won-t-load!/page10&highlight=sim+load - its long but will give you the reason as to why the sim won't load due to KB, how to uninstall it and the 3 options available to you to get the sim up and running.

WRT the install location - most people will suggest installing outside of the x86 folder due to the 'security/ownership' issues it can cause to programmes installed within it. However, many users still successfully run the sim with it installed at that location. As you are using an admin account you should have no problems. If you do encounter problems (once you have 'fixed' FS using one of the options available in the thread I have highlighted) such as being unable to save edits to .cfg files for example, you can simply take 'ownership' of the FS related folders within the x86 folder and that should resolve any issues. A simply google search on taking ownership of folders in Win 8 will get you the necessary instructions.

Regards

Brian

Archived