Fly-by volume really low

Darrin

Hello!

I just re-installed FSX, hoping to clear up some sound issues and perhaps regain some FPS by starting anew.

However, the fly-by volume is still really, really low - almost nonexistent - even for my VRS Superbug add-on, which generates a generously loud fly-by. I know the fly-by volume has been discussed here and elsewhere and its low volume has been bandied about, but my volume is much lower than it's ever been and it's quite annoying.

In settings I have cranked up the engine and environmental sounds, so I don't know what else to do.

Any tips/help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Darrin

Darrin,

You can have the same volume you get in Locked Spot view. How? Easy. Press the '[' key and a window will open. Change to 'Outside/Locked Spot' and resize to the size of a stamp by dragging sides. Place on upper right hand corner. Then when you go to FlyBy view, you CLICK ON THAT WINDOW and the sound will be there loud as in other views. When you want to change views (main window) click anywhere outside of that small window to enable changing of views. Hope this helped.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thanks so much, Chuck, for your reply. I routinely click the '[' key and then drag the entire window to my second monitor but the sound is still fairly silent in fly-by view.

And it sounds like faint popping in some of the other views - except for cockpit view.

This was never an issue for the first three years of flying in FSX but then the sound suddenly cut out one day in fly-by view and it's been the same ever since.

That's why I re-installed the sim. But to no avail.

I don't know if this will work with 2 monitors. The small window has to be clicked on (to give it the 'focus' to IT) and you must also change the views by use of the 'A' key.

Then on instant replay you should hear the engine sounds. But the small window must be clicked. Only way I know. If you click on 1st window then the 'focus' changes to that monitor and the small window is ignored (ie: no sound). Leaving it on 1st monitor, if it is reduced in size, shouldn't effect anything much. I like to do flyby and tower view replays and this works perfect for me as I am not particular if I have something interesting to show and record (FRAPS). There is nothing like having good sound.

I have Sony Vegas 11 and if I have any sound at all I can edit the sound envelope and make it loud enough to saturate ('clip') even the faint flyby sound. Nothing like post edits to make up for FSX shortcomings. Good luck with this.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

In Vegas I can also 'pan' and 'crop' to where the video will be 'zoomed' in just enough (you pick how much) to where the small window on top right won't even be seen (it's off the edge of 'crop'). Same with 'pan' in that I can move the portion that is 'seen' to the left and leave the small window 'off edge' (so not visible). Get Vegas? Just a thought.

Chuck B

Thanks, Chuck! But what about editing the cfg file? I looked in mine but didn't really see a line that specifically related to fly-by mode.

It just seems to me there has to be a simple edit in cfg that will allow us to increase the volume of fly-bys.

If by 'flyby' we're talking about Tower view, I should imagine being inside it would naturally dull down outside engine noise.

I don't know nuthin bout messing with files, but I know that if you're a fair distance away from the plane, its engine sound is bound to sound faint, so zooming in won't help a bit.

I just ran some tests and zoom 0.60 seems pretty realistic, the engine sound is not bad as it whizzes close past the tower.

PS- I found this old thread by a guy called 'Quicksand' who had the same dull flyby sound, it might give you some clues and I think he's not stuck any more-

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?37219-Fly-by-Sounds

Archived