Is the Video Card Dying?

I am running FS9 with an Intel E8500 with 2x2GB and a GTX650TI Vid Card. No overclocking as of yet. The box is about 7-8 years old and the card about half that. Had a new power supply installed about 6 months ago.

I have noticed recently that image is just locking up and the mouse cursor doesn't move. Sometime it occurs within a few minutes of start up and other times around 10-15 minutes. Sometimes, the sound bleeds though but sound really jerky. Control/Alt/Delete doesn't accomplish anything and I have to pull the plug (power off switch on the power bar) to restart. When it comes back up there is usually no notice of a bad shutdown, it just restarts.

I blew out the box /dusted the interior and added an extra cooling fan blowing across the Vid Card. No good, the image still locks up.

Any suggestions as to the source of my predicament?

Spinning mouse can be anything.

Wrong driver, wrong installed software, bad cable, and last to check is failing hardware.

To test. Disconnect as many Usb devices as you can, and use a different mouse and keyboard.

Test. Temporarily disable a few startup programs that start automaticaly.

Test. Check the hardware and devices menu in "control panel" for yellow and red warnings. They indicate driver errors.

Test. Disconnect internal devices, dvd-writer, extra hdd. One at a time to see what caused it.

My pc took 2minutes booting recently. Was due to a stuck printer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you for you input:

I powered up the PC last night and it died off in about 3 minutes.

Once back up I started by disconnecting the attached stuff like stick, rudder pedals , keyboard.

It appears the keyboard was the culprit as once it was swapped out the machine seemed to run fine, at least for now. Will see this weekend.

Checking in the Event Logs had a few interesting listings under Application Warnings and Errors;

-Hanging App FS9.exe

-Event in FS9 cannot be found. Local computer does not have necessary registry info or message .DLL files to display message from remote computer

(is this a virus or some sort of malware?)

-Net run time 2 error

Under the System Warning got this;

-device\cdrom0 has bad block

(is cd reading FS9 bad or the hard drive going?)

The Power Supply is a Cool Max CTI 700B.

I don't know the answer to that for certain, but here's what I would do.

(I use Win7, things may be slightly different for your OS.)

I Googled:

device\cdrom0 has bad block

and find that that can indicate a problem with the drive, or, if it happens only with one disk, the disk itself.

But there can also be Windows issue that causes this.

I found a link to a fixit here, but it doesn't specefy the "bad block" in the description of the Fixit.

Though it did help this person who asked about exactly that.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7-system-errors-7-cdrom-has-a-bad-block/a293c5e2-3659-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5?auth=1

The "App not responding' message could be anything. Especially if it doesn't happen every time it could be a minor fsx error. For example a faulty plane or, or a "faulting module error." I think it could even have been due to the keyboard thing. If that keyboard is failing and keeps the pc "occupied" it could make FS9 think "I have been frozen for so long now, I'll terminate the program".

I would say, keep an eye on it and investigate if it keeps happening and you see continous crashes in FS9.

But if the errors were all from before the keyboard change, and don't happen any more I wouldn;t worry too much.

------------

One thing that may be a good idea is to do a check of your OS files with sfc.

To do so you run SFC. System file checker.

You run that from an elevated command prompt.

Click start, type cmd in the search box.

You will see cmd.exe listed.

Right click that and then click "run as administrator".

Now an elevated command prompt opens.

At the prompt you now enter the command: sfc /verifyonly

Then press enter.

now you will see sfc starts to check your system files. (in the command prompt itself). When it's done it will report if errors are found.

If there are errors you can use sfc to fix them too. but Carefull.

Before you do make backups of your important stuff.

Ok, here goes. The command to make sfc check AND repair is: sfc /scannow

During the repair you may also need your original windows disk. Sfc may need it to restore the files.

If sfc /verifyonly finds nothing there is no need to run sfc /scannow.

And you then know the error is caused by something else.

Plenty more to find about sfc on the net.

here's one link; http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Turns out the keyboard is not the major solution.

Turned on last night and it locked again. This time it froze and went to a black screen except for a white rectangle at the location where the cursor was sitting.

Waited about 45 minutes to see if it would "correct" itself or do anything before pulling the plug.

Funny thing is, once I turned it back on and checked the event log, the only flag was under security that all the files could not be checked.

Will check out the link "device\cdrom0 has bad block" and run the recommended SFC over the weekend and let you all know.

Side note; I have another box (Dell) with XP as the OS. Just for kicks and giggles, could I swap that hard drive with the my current one just as a check? Or would that add the variables and complicate the troubleshooting.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Swapping the harddrives (C:\\) is not a good idea.

The two computers will have different hardware. Different mainboard for one thing. Also Videocard, etc. That means they each have very different drivers installed.

If you swap out the harddisk (C:\\) the other OS will not have the drivers for the computer you install it in, so that will not work well.

If you suspect a bad harddrive, then make backups now the computer still works (a bit). Backup everything on the drive to an external harddrive. You don't want to be losing pictures, personal files, documents, etc.

Because the error is: "cdrome" it might be a good idea to switch off the pc. Disconnect the power cord, open the case, and disconnect the cables to the cdrom player. Both it's power cable,and its data cable.

-1- It could be a badly connected cable, so disconnect, reconnect, and then try running.

-2- It could be a failing drive. So if -1- doesn;t do the trick, just disconnect the cdrom drive completely, (all it's cables), and then start the pc. That means no fs9 for a little while.

But if after that the computer no longer crashes, you know you had a failing cdrom player. And you can simply buy a new one for 25$ or so.

Maybe try -2- first. Just disconnect the thing. And then make your backups of all your files.

After they are safe continue testing (-1-).

Make sure you disconnect the power cord before opening the side of the case!

You don't want an electric shock.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Got some new input;

From the event log pulled the following that appeared to occur as the last thing prior to the freeze (which lasted over an hour before I pulled the plug).

"imapi cd burning com service entered stopped state" That has been a common item in the log.

One other time the crash was not a freeze but straight to blue screen with the notation;

"irql not less or equal" then something about disabling bios memory option to cache or shadowing.

This last one was from the security event log;

Special privilege assigned to new logon, user network service domain nt authority.

Funny thing is the crash seems to go away after a few restarts. I am able to actually fly without interruption.

• 2 weeks later...
I have not run the suggested System File Checker. Apparently the access method does not give the same search box initially on XP as it does on Win 7. Tried it at my job Win7 box and it works fine, no such luck at home.

In XP you would go to run and enter CMD and enter the hard disk commands to check the HDD there.

You could also check the SMART data with HDTune. I would also consider buying a better PSU. Antec, cooler Master are both good PSUs. If that PSU goes it it could very well take the whole system with it. It is always vital to have a good PSU.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the input. The new PSU is on my to do list first thing (after honey do's of course).

New problem popped up last night. Had the system running ok. Seemed to improve over the last few days after I deleted some newer scenery files. They were one of the changes done prior to the problems all starting. Ran for about 15 minutes with FS9 up, then the video signal scrambled, then to black screen.

Did a restart and the system locked at "window starting" screen for about 20 minutes. Then a notation that the system stopped and something about a faulty registry need to be fixed, fixed successfully. Then a minute latter, got the notice to save all work, system commanded shutdown in 60 seconds. NT Authority System Command did it per the notice due to "Remote Procedure Call Shutdown".

Those two notices are something I never saw before.

sfc in xp:

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

the error in post #12 seems to point to the cd drive still.

disconnect the power cord

push the start button on the fronof the pc to discharge any remaining current.

open the case.

disconnect internal power cable from dvd drive/cd drive / both drives

memorise how data cable is connected to mainboard. Take quick picture also.

disconnect dvd drive data cable from mainboard.

start pc.

(leave the cables off. you may have a faulty dvd drive. would cause huge issues.)

(If disconnecting has fixed things, buy a new dvd drive.)

Issue could be a faulty videocard as well, but not necessarily.

You did not say, but does your pc boot again now?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When I restarted the unit, the process went normal, but it hung up at the "window starting" screen for an abnormally long time. When it did come up, the only initial item on the screen was the screen background picture. None of the icons showed up for about 30 seconds or so. Also, the lower edge bar with the icons never appeared.

I will try your suggestion tonight and see how that works. Will also be prepared to note the effects.

I disconnected/reconnected the cd drive power/data cables.

Ran the same either way with the system locked at "window starting" screen for about 5 minutes. When it did come up, the only initial item on the screen was the screen background picture. None of the icons showed up for about 30 seconds or so. Also, the task bar never appeared. Then a minute latter, got the same notice to save all work, system commanded shutdown in 60 seconds. NT Authority System Command did it per the notice due to "Remote Procedure Call Shutdown". It rebooted and looped through the same drill again.

Also, during any of the boot up(s), none of the pretty MS music played, is that significant?

Just for kicks, disconnected the hard drive and it booted fine right up asking for insert disc to boot. I presume thats normal.

Since the task bar doesn't show up, are there keyboard commands to do an explore if you can't access the task bar?

How would I check the HDD? I disconnected/reconnected the cabling.

Do you mean the hard drive (hdd). Just for kicks, disconnected the hard drive and it booted fine right up asking for insert disc to boot. I presume thats normal.

I presumed you mean dvd/cd where the FS9 disc goes. I disconnected the dvd/cd cables, ran the unit, noted results, reconnected the cd drive power/data cables, ran the unit. Got the same results for both configurations;

The system locked at "window starting" screen for about 5 minutes. When it did come up, the only initial item on the screen was the screen background picture. None of the icons showed up for about 30 seconds or so. Also, the task bar never appeared.

Then a minute latter, got the notice to save all work, system commanded shutdown in 60 seconds. NT Authority System Command did it per the notice due to "Remote Procedure Call Shutdown". It rebooted and kept looping until I opened the task manager and shut it down through there during one of the loops.

Seems like it is not the dvd drive then, you tested correctly.

have you googled:

Remote Procedure Call Shutdown

yet?

I found this, looked informative and possible a solution.

I don't have XP, so I don't really know what to look for. Maybe google yourself as well.

http://www.blackviper.com/2003/08/10/why-is-remote-procedure-call-shutting-down-my-computer-after-60-seconds/

Edit:

I see now the links given in that article lead nowhere. "support xp has ended" page...

But, read it closely anyway. It contains a lot of helpful information.

Afterwards, have a look here. A virusscan is recommended.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-update/windows-xp-shutdown-by-nt-authoritysystem/40807bad-a7d6-41d7-acc5-c5b0c9bf083a?auth=1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Used the MS removal tool. Scanned system came up with "ZERO" infected files.

The stop abort works, but you have to constantly monitor things or it will sneak in and try the shutdown. Thought once would be enough.

Tried the two malware links. One keeps constantly looking for a non-existent internet connection to update. Deleted that one. Will purchase the license for the other and try it tonight. No control over the system as far as file - totally hijacked. Thought I could at least send a few to a thumb drive for salvage later. No luck If the malware software works might be able to salvage a few files. Deleted all of the MS FS and add on files then ran a full name defrag - just for kicks, maybe clean up the drive some.

Near term game plan, reformate the drive and install new windows XP or move on to W7.

This malware came aboard through either Pay ware (recently loaded CFS3 and a pay ware add-on for CFS3) or one of the major FS site downloads. I do not have any internet connection on this PC so the intrusion was mine through a download or pay ware installation.

Any recommendations for clean up programs?

Try the following:

Norton Power Eraser - https://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx - will do a deep scan of your system for both viruses and malware.

Malwarebytes - https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/ - a good tool for detecting and removing adware/malware.

Once you are satisfied that you have no virus/malware I would suggest running the in-built windows disk error checker to see if you have any disk problems (such as bad sectors etc).

IMHO, even if you don't connect to the internet, you should at least get a AV suite installed (there are some good freeware ones such as AVG) so that you can run scans on files before you install them. However, I would have thought that the PC you used to obtain the downloads would have scanned them during the download process - if, of course, the download PC has a AV suite installed and configured.

Also FYI, ALL AV/adware/malware apps will attempt to connect to the internet. They need to so that the virus/adware/malware definition files are updated - these provide info on the 'signature' of the infected files and 'tell' the app what to look for. So, further to my advice above regarding getting a AV suite installed, you will need to find one that allows manual downloads of definition files or have to compromise on how long you go before downloading the latest setup file and re-installing the app.

WRT to the OS - I assume from your statement that you have never updated the PC. This means that you have never got any security updates that may have protected you. I suggest that you at least download the XP Service Packs (SPs) form MS and install them. If you do go down the route of reinstalling the OS I would go for at least W7 or 8.1 - both are supported by MS whilst XP is no longer supported and upgrading to them will future proof you for some time to come. However, again note that if you install a new OS you will need connect the PC to the internet to get updates or manually download/manually install the latest SPs.

Regards

Brian

I can also recommend "avg rescue disc". Download from avg. In avg-business section, but free. Runs from a Usb drive or cd at boot time, does not start the os, so a virus that now starts with windows will not be able to prevent the scan.

Create the disc on unaffected pc, then scan the infected one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived