Any visibility expert?

Men In Black

I know there are many factors involved and the issue is much more complex than this, but still, in general, on a clear day, which one of these 2 visibility settings (only) do you think best depicts reality (FL350), the 1st one or the 2nd one?

Thank you!

http://i.imgbox.com/xWEZvyNO.jpg

http://i.imgbox.com/CsVyoXsJ.jpg

kk2Hq8Xj_o.jpg

I like #1. Just me. Is it realistic? I dunno, but I tell you what, get close to LA on a clear day, all you'll see is a dome of brown haze over the entire area. The Grapevine to San Diego. If you come in off the ocean to LAX, you may see the runway on short final...

Point is, a lot of major cities these days are just a brown bubble, unless the surface winds are pretty decent, and blow the smog around...

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

You can indeed. In WWII, everyone wanted to fly with Chuck Yeager, because he could spot an Me 109 head on from more than fifty miles. From where I used to live before, on a farm (very clean air for hundreds of miles around), on a good day (no cloud, right time of day) I could follow the various Boeings and Airbuses for nearly 180 miles before they disappeared over the horizon.
Steve from Murwilllumbah.

I like #1 also. There is a FS9.cfg entry that can be added in the video driver section that will greatly reduce ground haze"

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450.0]

Mode=1920x1080x32

TableFog=0 //Reduces ground haze

//TableFog=1 //Returns to normal ground haze

MipBias=5

TriLinear=1

Larry

To confound the question of "which one looks more realistic" ...

Back in the "old" days of film, Ektachrome was considered one of the "best" films for colour accuracy. But ... it had a significant sensitivity to near ultra-violet, especially - and not surprisingly - the blue dye component. As a result, photos taken through aircraft windows are often too "blue", especially if taken at altitude (35,000 feet +). Even with triple plastic windows, sufficient near-UV would get through to make a difference.

I undestand that digital cameras - both CCD and CMOS - have a similar issue, but have not investigated it. The moral of the story is that the colour balance of images taken at altitude needs to be "carefully interpreted".

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

Archived