Watch out for Windows 10.

Double J

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good catch. Thanks. Or better yet, turn off the updates completely. That gives the ability to periodically check manually and ensures that you only get the ones you really want/need. Never trust MS when it comes to Windows 10 upgrades/installs. They have a lot at stake with both the Government and the advertisers in insuring that everyone runs the latest OS and that's not necessarily what's good for the consumer. Not a conspiracy theory, just the fact.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

I use Windows7 Home edition and keep it up to date. I removed the GWX tray icon and notifications by uninstalling KB3035583. You have to hide the update to keep it from reappearing. I disabled Windows update, and check periodically. However, today on boot up I get numerous small windows saying drive F and drive G need to be formatted. I kept clicking cancel and they kept coming back. Immediately I ran a full system scan with Norton and the result was normal with a few tracking cookies removed.

Is Microsoft trying to install Windows10 in a partition without my consent, or is this just a freak hiccup of Windows7?

I have the main computer drive C and an external backup drive F.

Thank you for that link. I've been trying to tell folks for months to turn off the updates. Maybe this will help to convince those who are skeptical.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

This is beyond sickening. I actually removed Win 10 yesterday and went back to Win 7. So now they're forcing this "update" on people. Gee I wonder why. I have my updates turned off now but I was trying to remove some other updates and the PC just won't let me do it!

I have done all those things on my wife's 'puter, but now it seems that I cannot install any of the other updates without W10 installing, so hiding & uninstalling that KB3035583

as well as KB2952664 & 3080351 seem to have no effect!

I have 8.1 enterprise on my tower so not eligible for the free upgrade, but I do have W10 on my laptop.

Keith

There are plenty of tin foil hats on sale at eBay at the moment.

Dunno why there is so much drama about this, when we all update our mobile phones & it's apps constantly.

This is no different when we constantly updated W7, 8, 8.1, whatever.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Dunno why there is so much drama about this, when we all update our mobile phones & it's apps constantly.

No, changing an OS is not an "update", it is changing an OS.

Until Microsoft pays my annual personal information licensing agreement (PILA) fee ($100,000USD), they can keep their Kardashian Operating System. When my ex became uppity, full of herself, nagged alot and played fast and loose with the truth she was shown the door. Ditto Microsoft.

Microsoft nowadays is a walk on a slippery rock.

Zwobbie,

Reasons?

*During update every byte of data on your pc is transmitted to MS.

*Some programs you use now no longer work after the 'upgrade'.

*Including software you paid for.

*During upgrade certain programs are simply removed, like AntiVirus that the upgrade conciders 'out of date'.

*Some utilities in Win7 don't exist in Win10. Media player, built in DVD burning.

No more listening to a CD. You are supposed to go buy the utilities from MS instead.

*Windows updates can no longer be stopped from installing in Win10. They also cost money.

My main issues:

*I bought Win7. I don't want someone stealing it from me by placing well camouflaged software on my PC.

(Win7 was guaranteed to keep working until 2020 btw.)

*I have a pc that runs perfectly smooth. I want to keep it that way.

*I have to hear this news on the forum. No notice from MS that my pc will self-distruct tomorrow.

*I was actually afraid to turn on my pc this morning. And rightly so, because the updates were sitting there, ready to install.

*I would expect this behaviour from malicious people creating viruses. Not from MS that I trusted.

And again, I bought a copy of Win7. Not of Win10.

There may be no option but to use Win10 in the future. But then I'd like to buy it and put it on a pc.

On my own terms, keeeping my Win7 disks, and with an option to go back to Win7 if I don't like win10.

I'll gladly pay 100$ for the disk to have it that way.

"Free" "upgrade", no thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I got suckered into. I was really excited by the hype that they were laying out. I was advised a long time ago that nothing in this world is "Free". Everything has a cost. Windows 10 is all BS. My question is will our computers be from it after the year is up. I'm trying to stay as far away as possible from this beast.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Hey Robin

Totaly agree with you, we live in a world lately with bleeding heart, hold my hand mentalities. So glad I don't live amongst this, even as S.A. is not doing well, we at least think and fend for ourselves. Just like the reply from il88pp to you, I had a belly full of him at other posts.

To put it bluntly to other posters, if you don't want W10, then learn as others of you with decent thoughtful posts have done, to stop it. Strengthen your mind and drop the conspiracy theories. We have known for decades how MS works, and it's no shock to those of us that make MS along with other O/S's our daily business. Everything that has been posted on the web at many other blogs and forums, of MS "phoning home" and other irritating issues of W10 etc can be blocked and totally removed.

I have been in IT for 40 years, and upgraded three of my computers to W10, and to date 53 customer machines after doing due diligence on what does and does not work along with the risks, and I have lost nothing, no programs shut down or set as too old to use. And no removal of antimalware programs, Kaspersky and MalwareBytes.

So all I can say is you are possibly hanging onto very old software, along with the same in ideas. If you sat down and evaluated what you have installed, especially in your home use with simulators, penned down and researched the risks, and then learnt what many are out there posting how to disable and block certain features of W10, then WHAT IS the big issue.

As to simulators I have the following all working fine in W10 Pro with the 1511 upgrade FS9.1, FSX Acceleration, P3D 2.5, 3.0 and 3.1, X-Plane 9.5 and 10.41, DCS, Rise of Flight and FlightGear, along with a number of non-flight games.

And to correct another post, O/S's from MS now are updates as covered like cellphone/mobiles. There is going to be no longer any major releases

Screwbottle

W10 Pro 1703 x64 / openSuSE LEAP 42.2, Core i7 4790K 4.5GHZ OC, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming5 mobo, Gigabyte AMD R9 280X 3GB GPU, Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB DDR3 1.6GHZ mem, CoolerMaster G750M 750W PSU, Zalman CNPS10X Shark Fin CPU Cooler

And to correct another post, O/S's from MS now are updates as covered like cellphone/mobiles. There is going to be no longer any major releases

I am aware of this.

Perhaps I should have wrote with more clarity.

When I said, "No, changing an OS is not an "update", it is changing an OS", I actually meant "No, changing an OS for a different OS, is not an "update", it is changing an OS for a different OS.

I wasn't referring to typical OS patches and revisions.

It doesn't really self destruct of course.

I mean it is sent as an update for your current OS, but it actually upgrades your OS to Win10. Something you receive no warning of. And something I definitly do not want. A free offer should be just that, an offer. Not something that gets forced on you without warning.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't get it. What does this update do that will make your computer "self-destruct" as noted above? Why would I not want this update that Microsoft deems "important" to my PC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you knew 1% of what you need to and SHOULD know about this "update", you wouldn't be asking this question.

"Why would I not want this update that Microsoft deems "important" to my PC?" LOL.

It doesn't really self destruct of course.

I mean it is sent as an update for your current OS, but it actually upgrades your OS to Win10. Something you receive no warning of. And something I definitly do not want. A free offer should be just that, an offer. Not something that gets forced on you without warning.

Exactly. Obviously this is NOT an offer but something forced on us for reasons we -or at least some of us who are not hopelessly clueless- know. As soon as I knew Win10 was free it was like red flags all over.

Hmmm, a free OS from the people who would charge us for the air we breathe if they could! I mean when I bought my copy of Win7 I thought I could use it on different PCs only to find out nope, I'd have to buy a separate copy of the OS for each PC I want to use it on ! WTF ! Compare that to what FL Studio (a music software) offers its customers.

Then all of a sudden generosity is oozing out of these people. They're so generous all of a sudden that not only are they offering their "upgrade" for free, but they're saying listen sheeple, you're going to take our offer whether you like it or not ! lol. Really? They're practically FORCING it on us, and people don't see anything wrong with this ! WTF is wrong with these people? Then these people parrot all the usual nonsense about freedom and democracy even though they have no freedom choosing what OS they want to have on their OWN PCs that they paid for with their own money! Why does MS care if I want to have Win95 on my PC? Oh yeah, they're so worried about "our security"!

I want those who call us "conspiracy theorists" to answer me, why can't I have a say in what OS I WANT on my own PC, and why does MS think it has the right to force this spyware (win10) on me? Oh, did I mention the issues of the Start Menu and the task bar that keep refusing to work for a lot of the users without there being a real fix to the problem?

I spent many years of my post combat career as an engineer dealing with the software bought by my employers from Microsoft and Apple. At the risk of repeating what you've already been told, NEITHER MICROSOFT NOR APPLE HAS EVER GIVEN ANYTHING AWAY FOR FREE!! You make your choices and you pay their prices! Sometimes it's in cash most times it's in selling your personal info to others. I have never worn a tin hat but I have worked in this world for over forty (yes 40+!!) years.

I am a 100% combat related disabled former aviator and I enjoy simming since I can't pass a flight physical anywhere in the world. However I'm old enough and contrary enough that THERE'S NO WAY IN HELL I'LL GIVE UP MY PERSONAL INFORMATION TO THE ASSHOLES WHO NOW CONTROL THE INTERNET WORLD!! DON'T EVEN ASK ME WHETHER I WANT TO BE A PART OF STEAM AND OTHER SIMILAR PROGRAMS!! I DON'T!!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I spent many years of my post combat career as an engineer dealing with the software bought by my employers from Microsoft and Apple. At the risk of repeating what you've already been told, NEITHER MICROSOFT NOR APPLE HAS EVER GIVEN ANYTHING AWAY FOR FREE!! You make your choices and you pay their prices! Sometimes it's in cash most times it's in selling your personal info to others. I have never worn a tin hat but I have worked in this world for over forty (yes 40+!!) years.

I am a 100% combat related disabled former aviator and I enjoy simming since I can't pass a flight physical anywhere in the world. However I'm old enough and contrary enough that THERE'S NO WAY IN HELL I'LL GIVE UP MY PERSONAL INFORMATION TO THE ASSHOLES WHO NOW CONTROL THE INTERNET WORLD!! DON'T EVEN ASK ME WHETHER I WANT TO BE A PART OF STEAM AND OTHER SIMILAR PROGRAMS!! I DON'T!!

Your so called personal information you are concerned about was on the internet long ago and you didn't even know about it then and you still don't know about it today. You don't wear a tin hat, but you sure don't understand software today.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

... why does MS think it has the right to force this spyware (win10) on me?

Why? Because EVIL ENTERPRISES has been sub-contracted by Microsoft to read all your personal data and monitor everything you do on the Internet, everything you do with your pc. That's right. Everything. Dr. Evil is watching you READ this flightsim.com post RIGHT NOW, AS you read it!

You tin foil mad hatters had better stop complaining and ranting so much about Windows 10. You're making Mr. Bigglesworth nervous.

And when Mr. Bigglesworth gets nervous ... PEOPLE DIE!

218f5873de01a8ed63d61953126beb81.jpg

Sorry for 'SHOUTING' my reply, but I thought this uninformed & misinformed post needed a reply!

Zwobbie,

Reasons?

*During update every byte of data on your pc is transmitted to MS.

--- WHAT UTTER RUBBISH, 2TB OF DATA TRANSMITTED!!!

*Some programs you use now no longer work after the 'upgrade'.

--- NOT ON MY PC!!

*Including software you paid for.

*During upgrade certain programs are simply removed, like AntiVirus that the upgrade conciders 'out of date'.

--- I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW THAT THESE 'CERTAIN' PROGRAMS ARE!!

--- ANTIVIRUS REMOVED??? MY AVAST IS STILL THERE!!

*Some utilities in Win7 don't exist in Win10. Media player, built in DVD burning.

--- SUCH AS?? MEDIA PLAYER WAS RUBBISH ANYWAY. I'VE ALWAYS USED GOMPLAYER FOR MEDIA & AIMMP FOR AUDIO!

--- WHAT'S a DVD? JOKES ASIDE, FAR BETTER FREEWARE STUFF OUT THERE!!

No more listening to a CD. You are supposed to go buy the utilities from MS instead.

--- WHAT UTTER RUBBISH!! HAVE YOU EVER GOOGLED FOR A FREE AUDIO PLAYER? EVER HEARD OF VLC? THE ABOVE MENTIONED AIMMP??

*Windows updates can no longer be stopped from installing in Win10. They also cost money.

--- THEY CAN BE STOPPED!! DO YOU NOT WANT AN UP-TO-DATE OPERATING SYSTEM??

--- COST MONEY????? UTTER RUBBISH!!!! WHAT A SILLY & UNINFORMED STATEMENT!!!

My main issues:

*I bought Win7. I don't want someone stealing it from me by placing well camouflaged software on my PC.

(Win7 was guaranteed to keep working until 2020 btw.)

--- No-ONE IS INTERESTED IN STEALING WINDOWS 7 FROM YOU!!

--- MAINSTREAM SUPPORT ENDED IN JANUARY 2015, SECURITY UPDATES END IN 2020!

*I have a pc that runs perfectly smooth. I want to keep it that way.

---- SO HAVE I, THANKS TO A REGULARLY UPDATED OS!

*I have to hear this news on the forum. No notice from MS that my pc will self-distruct tomorrow.

---- A FLIGHTSIM FORUM FOR OPERATING SYSTEM NEWS? I DOUBT IF MS WILL EVER 'BLOW UP' PC's IF YOU IGNORE THEM!

*I was actually afraid to turn on my pc this morning. And rightly so, because the updates were sitting there, ready to install.

---- WE ARE ALWAYS HERE FOR YOU, IF YOU ARE AFRAID...

--- JUST START A POST.. 'HULLO, I'm xxxx, & I'm scared!'.

*I would expect this behaviour from malicious people creating viruses. Not from MS that I trusted.

---- AWWW, BAD MS! WHY NOT CHANGE TO LINUX?

---- DOES YOUR MOBILE PHONE NOT DO UPDATES?

---- IF YOU HAVE A GPS, DOES IT NOT TELL WHERE YOU ARE? I DO NOT MINT EVERYONE KNOWING WHEN & WHERE I DUMP!

And again, I bought a copy of Win7. Not of Win10.

---- SOME OF US DID, OTHERS GOT IT 'FREE' WITH PC & LAPTOP PURCHASES.

---- IF SO, THEN YOU DID GET IT FOR FREE!

There may be no option but to use Win10 in the future. But then I'd like to buy it and put it on a pc.

---- YOU CAN, AFTER JULY!!

On my own terms, keeeping my Win7 disks, and with an option to go back to Win7 if I don't like win10.

---- WINDOWS 10 HAS THE OPTION (FREE) OF ROLLING BACK, SEAMLESSLY, LOOSING NOTHING, TO YOUR PREVIOUS OS WITHIN 30 DAYS!

I'll gladly pay 100$ for the disk to have it that way.

"Free" "upgrade", no thanks!

---- YOU ARE NOT FORCED TO ACCEPT THE UPGRADE, YOU CAN BUY IT AFTER JULY!!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Archived