VSKYLABS SAS-X Interception Program 2016

VSKYLABS Surface-to-Air and Space (SAS-X) interception program 2016

Wow! What a name for a project!

Well, this project is all about interception of flying vehicles and projectiles in X-Plane's skies and space. The purpose of this project is educational (...and my curiosity about how much can I stretch X-Plane's physics and flight model engines) . The challenge is to build a series of ground based guided missiles stations, and to design it to intercept almost any kind of aerial target (from low-and-slow drones to orbiting satellites and projectiles during re-entry).

In the video below, you can see the VSKYLABS SA-X1 missile, intercepting some low altitude, sub-sonic targets. The SA-X1 is launched vertically, and the capability of intercepting a low-altitude target is achieved by an initial guidance maneuver (can be seen in the video, when a second interceptor is intercepting the already downed targets).

I will update it's progress and download availability (freeware of course) in this thread here,

(you can also follow it at http://www.vskylabs.com)

JetManHuss.

The challenge is to build a series of ground based guided missiles stations, and to design it to intercept almost any kind of aerial target (from low-and-slow drones to orbiting satellites and projectiles during re-entry).

Ah but does that also include meteorites ? :D

Another great project I'm sure :)

Ah but does that also include meteorites ? :D

Thanks for your encouragement...this project will probably get downloaded and used by one to three X-Plane users ;)

Meteorites? Problem is the warhead. Probably a nuclear warhead is needed, and much larger, multi stage interceptor missile (ICBM size).

You know, the major challenges in missile-interceptors design are the technology of the missile itself (propulsion, navigation, control...). I have a huge advantage here in X-Plane....having unlimited resources! This particular missile, shown in the videos, is set up to burn it's fuel for 90 seconds after the initial "maneuvering" phase. 90 seconds is "eternity" for it's weight and size....in the "operational" missile - fuel burn will be setup more realistically.

Thanks again :)

Archived