New P3D 3.1 user questions

Wildthing

I just purchased 3.1 and switched from boxed FSX. The first thing I want to say is just wow. P3D really is a big jump from FSX when it comes to performance and visuals. I can't believe how simple the setup is. No tweaking, DX 10 fixers, fighting FSX activation issues or multiple Service Pack installs. Anyways, using the following specs I am getting really good frames with Aerosoft Airbus and a good collection of custom airports using mid level settings:

Intel I-7 4970K, 8 GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2GB AMD 6070 video card.

Obviously, I am running an older video card. That being said, I have a second identical video card laying around, would I gain anything by going Crossfire? Or, would it be better that I just save some financial resources and purchase a newer, better video card in the near future? Also, I am using an older 320 GB 7200 RPM WD hard drive for my simulation software. Apart from faster loading, does an SSD for P3D provide any additional benefit?

Finally, I really want to give Aerosoft a big hats off for their EULA concerning P3D. Their Airbus series allows installs in multiple versions of P3D and FSX on the same hard drive. Also, their willingness to provide a P3DV3 version of the entire Airbus series within a week of its release really helped convince to make the jump. Now that I have P3D running really well, I might just leave my FSX disks in the box.

welcome to the fold! P3d does not support crossfire but it does support sli. P3D, unlike FSX *WILL* benefit from a good video card. I really suggest getting an Nvidia card - the GTX970 is the nest bang fot the buck right now. The GTX980TI is the hot card of choice - next come the Titans, etc.

Other than faster loading you won't get a BIG improvement going SSD - if the cioce financially was between as SSD and a better GPU - go for the GPU without question.

Enjoy!

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Good information Vic. It seems I need to start saving for a new video card.

One more question, on the Prepar3d forums, folks still talk about having OOM issues even with version P3DV3. For me, while running FSX, OOMs were a very rare occurrence. Of course, I never used ORBX addons/Vectors/textures, ASN 2012, 4092 textures or PMDG aircraft. That being said, are using too many of the above addons the main cause of OOMs in P3DV3 are earlier versions?

With my present P3D setup, 1024 textures, Opus live weather, Fly Tampa, Flightbeam and few Imaginesim airports, Taxi2Gate Seattle combined with Aerosoft Airbus, Level-D 767 and QW 757 will I be fairly safe from OOMs or are there hidden Items I can inadvertently cause OOMs?

- Are OOMs mainly caused by high settings and an abundance of addons: yes

- Can you avoid OOMs completely: no.

The platform is so complex, that you can never be 100% sure that it doesn't crash. I found the 3.1 to be rather temperamental, CTD-ing for other reasons too besides OOM. For example, I had a soundcard related service in the background I didn't know about, and every time that service entered the stopped state P3D crashed - silently, without any message or log. This never bothered FSX in the slightest.

If you are into long hauls (or just want to be sure to complete your flight) I suggest the autosave function in FSUIPC. It doesn't do so well with the Aerosoft Airbus though (you lose the FMS data when reloading) but most of the time you can retrieve your flight after a crash.

That being said, with your settings I think you won't see an OOM too often, if ever.

I run pretty well maxed with GEXp3D, UTX, ORBX ASN, TRackIR, etc and I have never had an OOM in 3.1. I do NOT fly the PMDG, etc but I do fly the Majestic Q400 and Captainsim 727 and l1011.

I have had 5 hour flights with no issues. BUT I'm sure if I kept piling on add-ons I could get one. Bottom line - except in rare cases, on a well set up system, it's a non issue.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Good information concerning OOMs guys. Just did a long flight - JFK to SFO. Frames at JFK during the takeoff roll were a little choppy. But after rotation everything was smooth as silk. I can't believe how good stock P3D looks. I know a lot of folks complain, but the HDR and DX11 shadows plus volumetric fog really gives P3D a better immersion over FSX.

Flightbeam's legacy SFO scenery does really well in P3D and gives smooth performance. My landing rollout and arrival at the gate was trouble free.

I still can't believe what an evolution P3D is. Best of all, like all of you folks have said, Lockheed Martin while use P3D as a commercial product. So, unlike MS, they will probably keep spending resources for P3D development. P3D really is the best civilian flight simulation out there.

Archived