What Flight sim?

daspinall

Have a new systems i7-6700 cpu @ 3.40GHz.....16.0 GB Ram.....Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 4GB Ram......Windows 10....

What is the best flight sim to run on this system peeps?

Thanks in advance...

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Hi, you've been a member of FS.com for 17 years and have made over 400 posts, so what flight sims have you been playing all that time?

You've already bought your new PC so just install your favourite sim and see if it works..:)

I bought a cheap laptop for general surfing last year for 300 GB pounds (430 US dollars) and installed FSX out of curiosity just to see if it works, and to my surprise it runs default FSX perfectly at good frame rates and no sign of overheating plugged into my 24" monitor, although whether it'd be able to handle big scenery and weather addons I'm not sure..:)

Here are its specs-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/laptop-spec_zpszfskgdch.jpg~original

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/lapt-spec-disp_zpsyj0sp325.jpg~original

Even with a high spec system I still cannot get rid of micro stutters on fsx.

I never really took to XPlane after v9. So I guess that leaves P3D, or the possibility of Dovetail in future.

Talking of flight sims. Does anyone remember an indie flight sim made by an Italian guy years ago? It had swaying trees and you could parachute from planes. I enjoyed flying around in it and often wondered if the guy ever made newer versions?

XYpilot

Well I was hoping to install FSX...also hoping for some feedback with windows 10....thanks for the input fellows....FSX was my weapon of choice for many years.....to answer ScatterbrainKid's question...

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Well I was hoping to install FSX...also hoping for some feedback with windows 10....thanks for the input fellows....

FSX, It's not bad.

Windows 10. Avoid like the plague, especially upgrading from the mighty Windows 7.

"The main reason Microsoft want to push their Windows 10 is because it has been designed to facilitate a whopping increase in potential advertising revenues, increasing the capability of advertising ' AT YOU ' by 25%. No Thanks".

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tech-news/windows-10-upgrade-update-popup-windows-7-windows-8-upgrade-now-upgrade-tonight-11364030171321

..Talking of flight sims. Does anyone remember an indie flight sim made by an Italian guy years ago? It had swaying trees and you could parachute from planes. I enjoyed flying around in it and often wondered if the guy ever made newer versions?..

It was probably 'Micro Flight' by Ilan Papini, I used to have it myself.

He also did a ship and sailing boat sim called 'Virtual Sailor', I had that too.

Later he combined both sims into one and calls it 'Vehicle Simulator', it only costs 17 GB pounds (25 US dollars) and I bought it last year for my laptop because the graphics are pretty simple and you don't need a super-duper high end PC to play it..:)

VEHICLE SIMULATOR- http://www.hangsim.com/vsf/

It was probably 'Micro Flight' by Ilan Papini, I used to have it myself.

Ah yes, Microflight, thats the name. Great little sim. I also had HangSim which was okay.

BTW the flightsim in Vehicle Simulator actually looks quite presentable, providing you don't crash :)

So are there no pit falls running FSX on Win 10?

I suggest doing a LOT of reading on this subject! For some it works great, for others they have kicked the wife and shot the dog over switching to Win 10.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

as the other poster with a HP laptop, I have the same basic system, tho I have the Core I3 @1.9ghz with 6gb ram and my hd is 750gb. I get easy 20fps with FSX and many addons. Your new rig should kick some major butt. Have fun Flying:pilot: I'd stay with your tried and trusted (Sorta) FSX. As to Win 10 and FSX there is a little pain but after the few .DLL's like uiautomationcore causing a crash or 2 it works out well.:eek:

As suggested by Zippy search the forums here for info on FSX/Win 10 - there is plenty of information there for you to make a informed decision as to use WIn 10 or not.

Me, I have two laptops at the moment, one with W10 and the other W7 and both with FSX installed and running OK. The W10 rig was updated from W8.1 with no issues and FSX worked as before. I have since done a fresh FSX install on the rig and had no problems with that either. BTW both installs were outside of the default Program(x86) location. I will also be updating the W7 rig at some stage.

WRT to many of the comments that you will find in the forum regarding the pros and cons of W10 the biggie cons seem to be the auto update process that is used (ie the user has no choice in what is downloaded during the update) and privacy.

Updates - yes there is a risk that a wayward update (for example a updated video driver pushed by the WU) MAY screw up FSX but there is information of the MS website and other websites that provides info on how to sort the problem out and MS even have a tool that can be used to ensure that the wayward driver is not downloaded again once it is removed - the weak link here is that the problem has to occur and be identified before the tool can be used.

OF course, to some this will be a major problem and gives them a 'big stick' to lash out at MS/Win 10, but this type of problem is also very common even with a vendor's own dedicated updating software as well. A search of the forum will reveal many threads regarding problems caused by updated video drivers that have been downloaded and installed using dedicated updaters.

Privacy: Again, for some, this seems to be a big issue. Yes, it appears from the various reports that can be found on the internet that MS is scooping up lots data about you but a search of the internet also brings up lots of sites that have info on how to configure W10 so that you can vastly reduce the amount of data sent.

The simple but often overlooked fact is that many of the those who 'shout' about the invasion of privacy that they accuse MS of have probably already given up the same type of info without realising it and do so on a daily basis. For example, anybody who uses google or other search engines are probably providing more info than they would be to MS. Likewise, anybody who uses their mobile phone to surf the web or has GPS enabled are doing the same.

Regards

Brian

Archived