Question regarding Out of Memory Errors

fruitnnut8

Hi Folks,

Does ticking and unticking items in the scenery library having any effect on OOM's?

My specs are:-

i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

16Gb of RAM

Window 7 64bit

Acer 29" monitor

FSX Gold + Acceleration

H. Munro (fruitnnut)

HUGELY!! The more complex your scenery, aircraft, or anything else is, the more work the sim has to do. Time to make strategic decisions. We've all been through it many times!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I'm going to have to disagree with Rupert. While adding more and more to your scenery library and adding other addons affect how much memory FSX uses, I have yet to run out of memory due to the number of addons I'm using. And I have more addons than you can shake a stick at. OOM's are usually caused by errors in files or corrupt files that are trying to be loaded. You would be surprised at how many errors can be found with alot of addons, and even a clean install of FSX. There are many utilities available that can help find these errors. The one that has helped me the most is an old utility called "Aircraft Analyzer 2005" by Peter van der Veen. I found that all of my OOM's were being cuased by bad AI traffic files. This program found so many errors in aircraft cfg files that, once corrected, eliminated all of my OOM's.

Intel I7 3770K, ASRock Z77 Extreme4 mb, 16gb Corsair Vengeance, Nvidia GTX970, Realtek surround sound, 5TB WD Black SATA Drive

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm going to have to disagree with Rupert. While adding more and more to your scenery library and adding other addons affect how much memory FSX uses, I have yet to run out of memory due to the number of addons I'm using. And I have more addons than you can shake a stick at. OOM's are usually caused by errors in files or corrupt files that are trying to be loaded. You would be surprised at how many errors can be found with alot of addons, and even a clean install of FSX. There are many utilities available that can help find these errors. The one that has helped me the most is an old utility called "Aircraft Analyzer 2005" by Peter van der Veen. I found that all of my OOM's were being cuased by bad AI traffic files. This program found so many errors in aircraft cfg files that, once corrected, eliminated all of my OOM's.

WOW! Perfect! Though I have to wonder if this magic elixir "Aircraft Analyzer 2005" is that good, why isn't it on everyone's 1st purchase list? Why everyone who designs software doesn't pay the royalty and include it in their product? They'd surely sell more scenery if the machine cold run everything one could buy all the time.

Sorry to disagree, but aren't you claiming that having no aircraft cfg errors equals all the scenery software you can load up runs fine on FSX?

WOW! Perfect! Though I have to wonder if this magic elixir "Aircraft Analyzer 2005" is that good, why isn't it on everyone's 1st purchase list? Why everyone who designs software doesn't pay the royalty and include it in their product? They'd surely sell more scenery if the machine cold run everything one could buy all the time.

Sorry to disagree, but aren't you claiming that having no aircraft cfg errors equals all the scenery software you can load up runs fine on FSX?

I'm not claiming that at all. The only OOM's that I got were caused by traffic.bgl files trying to load aircraft that I did not have, either because they were mis-spelled in the aircraft.cfg, or because I did not have the aircraft at all. The program I mentioned listed the errors, and once I fixed them, I have yet to have a OOM error. None of my OOM's were caused by trying to load up too much scenery or other addons. You can have tons of addons installed in your sim, but not all of them get loaded up at the same time. You can get an OOM if you install more that one addon for the same airport, for instance, and then try to fly a very detailed aircraft, and add some heavy weather. There are lots of things that can cause OOM's.

The question for the post was "Does ticking and unticking items in the scenery library having any effect on OOM's?", and your response was "HUGELY!!......" My response was intended to show that the amount of scenery you have installed doesn't have nearly as much to do with OOM's as the amount of errors in files in the sim, especially .cfg files.

As far as Aircraft Analyzer 2005, it is an old utility made for FS9, but it works just as well for FSX. Aircraft Analyzer 2007 was never quite finished, so it doesn't work as well.

Intel I7 3770K, ASRock Z77 Extreme4 mb, 16gb Corsair Vengeance, Nvidia GTX970, Realtek surround sound, 5TB WD Black SATA Drive

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...
You can have tons of addons installed in your sim, but not all of them get loaded up at the same time. You can get an OOM if you install more that one addon for the same airport, for instance, and then try to fly a very detailed aircraft, and add some heavy weather. There are lots of things that can cause OOM's.

So if you tick addons for a specific airport and fly a very detailed aircraft you can get OOM's. Then you untick some of those addons such as "heavy weather" and don't get OOM's. It appears from your second paragraph that you agree that what you tick can effect your OOM's HUGELY!!

I agree, errors in the files is another huge factor. Other huge factors include what other processes your computer is running in the back ground while you fly.

I never intended to say there was only one cause of OOM's. "There are lots of things that can cause OOM's." How complex your scenery and/or aircraft is/are ticked on any given flight can/does make a HUGE difference.

Archived