microsoft x

sr-71 blackbird

The best for what?

For 'Golden Age' simming, FS2004 & Golden Wings, no doubt.

Then there is FSX, about 10 years old now, FSX:SE (Steam), a modded version of FSX, for modern PC's & there's P3D, a 13x modded & upgraded version of ESP, which was Microsofts professional (not for entertainment) version of FSX, from Lockheed Martin.

So, what's the best? Best for what? Best for what PC you have?

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

hi, what microsoft flight sim do you think is best, or am i looking at the rong company?

thx,

Sr-71 blackbird

Wrong company, Microsoft doesn't make flightsims anymore.

Your only option with the name "Microsoft" on it is the FSX Steam Edition, published by Dovetail Games on Steam.

Hey SR-71, if you scroll down the Forums page and look at the 'Viewing' figures for each forum you'll see that FSX (Flight Simulator X) is by far the most popular sim here.

The X stands for 10.

The previous version was FS9 (also known as FS2004)

Everybody buys FSX by download from Steam nowadays, it's called FSX:SE, (SE stands for Steam Edition) and is the very latest version..:)

PS- here's a link to Steam if you want to read up on it-

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/

sr-71 blackbird,

Welcome! First things first...

In order to suggest a specific Sim, we need to know how powerful your Computer is.

Please list your Processor Type & Speed, your Graphics Card and its Memory size, how much RAM you have, your HD size, and the Operating System you're using.

Also... what and where do you want to Fly? Airliners? Smaller? Big Airports, or good looking Visuals?

It's all going to be based on what your computing power is.

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

it is a windows 7 64 bit and i dont know how to find everything else

Control Panel/System. That should give you your computer specs. Maybe even look on the front of the computer tower, if it's a desktop.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Control Panel/System. That should give you your computer specs. Maybe even look on the front of the computer tower, if it's a desktop.

On this EVERYTHING depends... no kidding.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

There are various sims out there, including something called X-Plane.

Maybe you must look at FSX:SE, the Steam version of FSX that is occassionally on special.

However, for a beginner, & also for a pretty standard computer, that can be upgraded if & when the simming bug hits you, the best for you would be FS2004 (also known as FS9).

That will run on most 'normal' computers.

It is quite old by now, but still very supported & still has a huge following, me included BUT, being quite old, it could be a problem to find.

This will give you a good start in flight simming, & if you get more interested, you can upgrade your PC, if needed, & go for the more sophisticated sims, such as FSX:SE, Prepar3d & X-Plane.

Oh, get yourself a joystick. It does not have to be an expensive one, but MUST have a twist grip. You cannot have fun & any enjoyment with out this. Trying to fly using just a keyboard is a no-no! You will get very frustrated.

I see you want to fly small jets.

Tip 1. Start learning on the default Cessna 172. Then you will have all the basics.

Most of us want to start by jumping into the fastest thing around.

Like anything else, do the basics & then the lessons that come with the sims.

Best of luck, & we look forward to welcoming you to the virtual skys.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

8.00 ram space, AMD processor with 2.60 GHz.

You can check out my signature to see my rubber band powered computer specs. I can fly most anything out there other than payware aircraft and airports. They require more CPU and memory than I have.

I do Have some freeware ORBX scenery and airports that do very nicely. Keep in mind that 2.6Ghz is pretty low powered and you may want to keep your sliders to medium settings.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

FSX-SE (Steam) will 'probably' run, but you will have to adjust your Settings down for the best combination of Performance and Visuals. As Zip said, your CPU speed and amount of RAM are the main constraints.

You could try FS 9... I think you'll get better performance overall.

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Archived