considering moving to P3D

johnyyz

I would like to know what the airports in P3D look like e.g MMUN, MKJS ...... as i have spent $$$$$ for FSX (AMS MMUN2012 and Latin VFR MKJS)

Will these work in P3D v3 ?

Thanks

Core i7 10700K OC to 4.6 all cores/EVGA 750W G+ PSU/ MSI Z490 edge mobo/GSkill RAM DDR4 32GB(2X16GB) 3600mhz/ ASUS TUF RTX 3080/ Win10 home/ Asus 32 inch monitor 1440p/ CH Flightstick

Yeah, they are both in P3D as in the default airports but only you know what you like...I suggest you research to see if they have an update for P3D...

Default scenery looks just like in FSX - it is still unchanged. LM is primarily working on the mechanics, not the content - relying on the 3rd party developers for that.

Addon scenery generally works in P3D. You may have texture flickering, disappearing objects etc. . And external DLLs or some magical inside trickery to add features probably will not run. For example, the older Aerosoft airports relied on AES to populate them with vehicles. AES does not work in P3D, so you lose these. And it may be advisable to add them to P3D manually, some installers and/or activation processes don't like P3D.

I would like to know what the airports in P3D look like e.g MMUN, MKJS ...... as i have spent $$$$$ for FSX (AMS MMUN2012 and Latin VFR MKJS)

Will these work in P3D v3 ?

Thanks

Read my post here about P3D

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?296219-Will-a-video-card-make-any-difference

I'm already at version 3.1 and not looking back to FSX, and I am having no issues yet porting my scenery and aircraft. Many vendors have already updated their installers, so check your purchases and their vendors, for updates.

Regards

Andrew Brown

Screwbottle

W10 Pro 1703 x64 / openSuSE LEAP 42.2, Core i7 4790K 4.5GHZ OC, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming5 mobo, Gigabyte AMD R9 280X 3GB GPU, Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB DDR3 1.6GHZ mem, CoolerMaster G750M 750W PSU, Zalman CNPS10X Shark Fin CPU Cooler

I'll move to P3D when a 64bit is done. Are there any confirmed plans for it by the way? Or is it just talking?

Why wait for 64bit, P3D version 3 and 3.1 have resolved many of the old issues of FSX. 64bit is coming, as well as DX12 support used in Windows 10, but one can enjoy all of the goodness now over a flawed and very old FSX. Read my post above and follow the link. Too much garbage by laymen are being spewed forth as to the differences, or should I say lack of them, as per their posts. This is the SIM of the future along with X-Plane 10+, and the likes of DCS and Rise of Flight.

FSX:SE is too little too late, what with that irritating Steam client attached to it. X-Plane has learned it's lesson well putting their product onto Steam client as well. Many are learning that the standalones, especially in flight simulation, is the only real way to go.

Regards

Andrew Brown

Screwbottle

W10 Pro 1703 x64 / openSuSE LEAP 42.2, Core i7 4790K 4.5GHZ OC, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming5 mobo, Gigabyte AMD R9 280X 3GB GPU, Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB DDR3 1.6GHZ mem, CoolerMaster G750M 750W PSU, Zalman CNPS10X Shark Fin CPU Cooler

• 2 weeks later...
I just got the version 3 and ended up going back to version 2 as my addon freeware scenery wouldn't work in it. Seems it wouldn't relate to some photo textures. Not sure the why. Also seems to have a different .cfg arrangement. I kept all my planes and add-ons on a different solid state drive for use in FSX and P3d, and it had no way to link them. If anyone knows how to solve this feel free to educate me. Add-on scenery is of course easy to do in the P3d World/scenery tab but it would not display most of Alf's English stuff.

AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz oc'd to 4.4, 16 gig 2133 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 980Ti w/4gig

OS=Windows 10 64 bit, FSX w/Acceleration & P3d v3, 4, 5 REXII, OrbX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

Why wait for 64bit, P3D version 3 and 3.1 have resolved many of the old issues of FSX. 64bit is coming, as well as DX12 support used in Windows 10, but one can enjoy all of the goodness now over a flawed and very old FSX. Read my post above and follow the link. Too much garbage by laymen are being spewed forth as to the differences, or should I say lack of them, as per their posts. This is the SIM of the future along with X-Plane 10+, and the likes of DCS and Rise of Flight.

FSX:SE is too little too late, what with that irritating Steam client attached to it. X-Plane has learned it's lesson well putting their product onto Steam client as well. Many are learning that the standalones, especially in flight simulation, is the only real way to go.

Regards

Andrew Brown

Irritating steam client?......LMFAO!!! Please explain this. I have many titles on Steam and it has NEVER caused a problem. I took my FSX disc version off and stayed with this. Yes I have P3D 3.1 But FSX is still good in other areas. I really don't understand your comment. Nothing irritating about Steam.

Irritating steam client?......LMFAO!!! Please explain this.

No, no, please don't explain. Every tinfoil hat conspiracy expert this side of Alaska will start ranting how Steam is the great Satan and how Dr. Evil controls Microsoft's Windows 10. Enough, already! :p

Irritating steam client?......LMFAO!!! Please explain this. I have many titles on Steam and it has NEVER caused a problem. I took my FSX disc version off and stayed with this. Yes I have P3D 3.1 But FSX is still good in other areas. I really don't understand your comment. Nothing irritating about Steam.

I have covered this on many posts at websites like this pertaining to flight simulation. I'll drop it in a nutshell again if I can. And test it yourself, many who live in countries without the luxury of uncapped high speed internet access (>4Mb/s) will agree to the points below. I too have 12 titles of other Steam games, and the same results.

1. Steam simulators, useless for LAN partying and link ups. I belong to two clubs and we cannot use FSX:SE. Must be connected to an internet connection at all times.

2, Cannot block out Steam client updates, yes one can play the games offline and stopping the updates of the games temporarily. Steam client will try to update all of the time, and not allow the games to start if disconnected, try it.

3. So one sits waiting for the Steam client to update, anything from 10 minutes to half an hour or longer on not so fast connections, outside of the milk and honey countries with high speed Internet.

4. Then the games want to patch and update, this can also take from 15 minutes to the whole evening 8+ hours, as per point 3.

5. So overall a stand alone one has far more freedom that the Steam controlled games. I'm not prepared to wait for all of these updates when I click the simulator icon, and now have to leave everything to the point of giving this up as a bad idea, then packing up and watching TV or read a book etc.

So who's LMFAO now. I covered this in depth at AVSIM, with many eventually understanding and agreeing with the real issue behind Steam client controlled games, especially the flight simulation ones. Those of you in, as I said milk and honey countries don't even think of issues like this that affect the rest of us, and I think the rest of us are the majority in the rest of the world.

And very far from any tinfoil hat conspiracy, just a real world observation. If it was so great why is it that DTG and FSX:SE have so little take up on new or existing users, compared to existing box FSX users. As of last count and it possibly will have changed a little, I stand corrected, it was sitting at around 300K users. ??????? to the 10's of millions possibly 100's of millions box users, and those that are migrating over to P3D and X-Plane.

Screwbottle

So who's LMFAO now.

So, my real world observation is that your real issue is having lousy, slow Internet service. Thanks for explaining it so clearly. :p

P3D has its own issues, as does X-Plane, enough that there's just not going to be any mass migration from FSX/FSX:SE anytime soon. FSX has been around many years longer than the Steam version. Those of us who have box FSX haven't any need to move to FSX:SE. Comparing the number of FSX and FSX:SE users simply reflects that fact, and maybe also a diminishing interest in aviation and simulator games to new users, sad to say.

So, my real world observation is that your real issue is having lousy, slow Internet service. Thanks for explaining it so clearly. :p

P3D has its own issues, as does X-Plane, enough that there's just not going to be any mass migration from FSX/FSX:SE anytime soon. FSX has been around many years longer than the Steam version. Those of us who have box FSX haven't any need to move to FSX:SE. Comparing the number of FSX and FSX:SE users simply reflects that fact, and maybe also a diminishing interest in aviation and simulator games to new users, sad to say.

Sad to say, I agree. In fact I've heard people complain because they bought a FS and their sim planes don't have firing weapons. Apparently they feel if you can't shoot someone or at least steal their car and have sex with their girlfriend/boyfriend, why bother with a sim??

I've already shot enough people RW & been shot too. I'm happy to sim an unarmed plane and fly where people aren't shooting me. In fact, that's exactly what drew me to FS in the first place.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Many around the world, in a similiar situation, would not consider their, quote "lousy, slow Internet service." unquote, to be too bad, as at least they do get access to much of what is on offer. It fails a community like us with our hobby, with massive downloads by today's standard, but we can get to them, overnight and longer, but this is useless for systems like Steam, where as I explained, real-time updates are just a no-go to a good experience. And not much one can do when it's a dictate of a poor government of one's country, and technology controlled by them.

And sure all new software has it's issues, but that's why it is new, like P3D and not so new X-Plane. All code is flawed as are we human developers and programmers. Our flaws are introduced into our code. But factually far better than ANY current version of FSX, even SE. FSX boxed is dead code going back to 2008 and with over 4000 bugs in it, that's it. Many developers have had to dig deep to find stable workarounds, but with still real issues of VAS running out etc, as we are now 10 years along with our addons and their complexity, and a old base. Much like trying to get a vintage car to run as well and as efficiently as applying it with today's modern car technologies.

And there is enough migration for a long time now to X-Plane, version 10 alone has over 750000 users, and the ground swell of P3D is also there, in excess of anything FSX:SE can brag about. We are reaching a time where we just cannot use old coded SIM's anymore, and as frustration levels build with the latest addons not working properly, this will have many looking at better offerings, to what FSX did offer a long time ago.

I have heard that many ports of Steam games, are dumbed down, and have lesser features and offerings compared to the original. This is especially true of X-Plane Steam to the full version X-Plane. If this is true, why does Valve do this then, or the other controlling developers. My personal reasoning of 40 plus years in the IT industry, is so that the apps run smoothly as if on underpowered pads, tablets and mobiles. It's about the bottom (rich) line of these base systems (not saying the same to many addons), more than the real enjoyment of users having full benefits of an app like simulators. The PC/Mac is still the powerhouse for all of this, and is effective with standalone uses, as I said without having control managed painfully slow by an online client.

Regards

Andrew

Screwbottle

• 3 weeks later...
Read my post here about P3D

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?296219-Will-a-video-card-make-any-difference

I'm already at version 3.1 and not looking back to FSX, and I am having no issues yet porting my scenery and aircraft. Many vendors have already updated their installers, so check your purchases and their vendors, for updates.

Regards

Andrew Brown

I agree. I finally shelved FSX after all these years. I am using P3D v3.1 and have found that basically every addon works fine using Estonia Migration tool. I have had no issues with P3D v3 and so far have none with the upgrade. I started out with FS2 and really never dreamed flight sims would still be around and would have come this far. It is finally at the stage I could only dream about when I started this hobby.

Don

Archived