[Mayday] - honest advice needed to start small to fly in virtual airline

PilotJill

hey guys, greeting :)

I have been on and off a while on FSX 5 years ago. Nothing serious. Just some tutorial in-game training flights at max PPL level. I would like to try again with the goal of

1. learn from scratch again

2. Able to fly virtual airline hopefully one day.

I would like to try flying again but without a serious committment. Could you guys advice me on the setup based on my goal and my current config? Highly appreciated.

my PC:

1st Generation Intel i7 870 OC @3.8Ghz

12 GB DDR 1600 RAM

Nvidia GTX 970 4GB Card

29" 2560X1080 ultrawide (Main) + 24" 1920X1080 (second)

Windows 10 64bit

I have FSX 4CDs version without any addon.

Questions :

1. I researched that P3D V3.1 might able to better utilize my Graphics card and it could be the future, should I get this? However, I saw a STEAM 50% offer for FSX-SE which costs only around 10 USD. So Should I get p3D Academic version or Steam or just use my current FSX 4CDs version. I have also heard that XPlane is pretty good in terms of realism so maybe, if I just wanna try. I should start with Xplane?

(I can do some tweaking but dont want to be the main focus, will be best to have it work right out of the box)

I dont plan to upgrade my PC until another 2 years unless the CPU dies.

2. I would like to have multiplayer coz I want to receive support and fly with the others (virtual instructors) to learn how to fly. Is this possible/easier with FSX-SE or P3D?

3. I do not have any joystick at the moment, is the X52 good for a less-committment setup?

Any other advice will be apprecaited. Many thanks!

FSX-Se has multiplayer option built in.

FSX-Box had this as well, but the function no longer works.

But, there are many sites that make it possible to fly online with FSX-Box still. Many many.

So using fsx-box is fine.

Fsx-steam is just reselling the same as fsx box. Some report a better performance with Steam, but many say that's not measurable. Even Steam says: "We see no reason to move to steam, if you have FSX-box there is no reason to switch.".

If I were you I would just use FSX box. (DeLuxe & the Acceleration update.)

P3D is different, and does use the graphics card more. But there are fewer addons for P3D then for FSX, and it is a pretty expensive game. Also, when there is a update to P3D you will need to buy the whole game again.

I can't really judge P3D, as I don't have it, and decided early it was not for me.

I would stick to FSX-Box, but, I'm trying not to spend more then needed.

There are also people that use FSX, and also use P3D.

Regarding support, I think you will have more support here on the forum then on the steam site, but again it's a guess. I base that guess on the number of Steam users that come here looking for answers.

Multiplayer flying is more then just chatting while you fly. It means avoiding crashing into the other players, asking clearance before landing and taking off. There is a lot of ATC (Air Traffic Control) things involved. So controlling the plane and getting it to go where you want is important.

I think a joystick is essential. I use the cheapest I could find, the Logitech Xtreme 3D (40$). It serves me well. The X52 is used by many here as well.

Whatever you choose, have fun!

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Thanks for the input!

my FSX box was Deluxe Edition without the Aceleration pack. The steam offer will end in 1 day. The game is really cheap at 10 USD and there are many add-on to be bought.

I was just wondering if it's easier to just get the Steam and coz I assume those Add-on (DLC in steam) will give a smoother experince for installation?

Besides, can I join a virtual airline with Steam edition or only with the FSX box version?

Thanks.

I can only speak for DeLuxe (+Accell)

With that you can join many different multiplayer servers. On most of those you can fly around yourself, and join a virtual airline if you want to. (But you don't have to, you can have a lot of fun without joining one. And while flying you are all in the same "world".)

I don't know how multipalyer works in steam. Steam offers a way to connect and fly together. But what you do (and can do) there I don't know. It may be set up so you can join seperate flying groups. Maybe therre is just one group. I don't know if on one of them join a virtual airline, but I expect so.

With many servers, you can connect if you have Deluxe, or isf you have steam. Some servers even make it possible to connect using FS9 as well.

(I wonder what cd's you have. Fsx deluxe is only 2 cd's. (you said 4))

All the server does is relay your position to the others, and their position to you. SO you "see" each other.

The "World" you fly in is on your PC. Not on the server.

Acceleration is not for sale any more. If you don't have Acceleration ou may be better off with steam. That has acceleration included.

Here is a guide on steam and fsx. Their advise: "use one or the other, not both on one computer"

http://fsrijnmond.airworld.nl/FSX%20Steam%20se/How%20To%20Install%20FSX-Steam%20Edition.pdf

And here is an example of a fsx multiplayer server. This is one that is easy to understand, and has very few rules. You can "fly as you like" or join some virtual airline group. Have a read through the instructions to get an impression.

http://fscloud.net/fscloud_help.php

There are many more. VATSIM, FSOPEN, etc

Google: "fsx multiplayer servers"

Here's one result:

http://www.fsxmultiplayer.com/sessions.php

Don't fixate on "Virtual Airline" too much.

1-Learn to fly.

2-Learn to fly with others.

3-Maybe join a Virtual Airline.

3 is not needed at all to have fun with others. It can actually become a bit of a chore. Many rules to follow in a VA often, some VA's want you to only fly for them, and not fly for fun. They take it so seriously it becomes a fake "job", with online meetings, a boss, instructors, with the only difference that instead of making money you are earning points for the VA by flying every night. Yoiu can even get cussed out when you crash (and lose them points).

Don't get me wrong tough, a VA can be fun. But it is not the point to start at, it comes later.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As far as multiplayer, you may be better off with the box version. Other users out there run steam servers but only a handful run reliably. Some run 24/7 but most are password protected and or host a limited number of pilots or they run for part of the day then are gone. One big difference in the box and Steam versions is that you can connect to the fsopen servers where in Steam you cannot connect to these servers. With both box and Steam you can connect to Vatsim, FSCloud, FS Host servers.

I have P3D and FSX box. I much prefer the FSX & so I haven't even bothered to do updates with P3D. I can't speak for or against Steam. My box version works fine, no need for Steam.

As to multiplayer or a V.A., you're way out there from being ready for that. Learn the basics, fly the tutorials, build up your skills, then think about your options.

However, I agree with the OP, a VA can be a royal P.I.T.A. Some, probably most require you to fly specific routes, schedules, & in RW time. No 4X or 8X and no slewing. Set your autopilot and take a nap.

Your computer will do any of the three sim options pretty well, don't worry about that. But I would suggest you not spend money on fancy aircraft with manuals that looks like a dictionary until you know how to fly. And that includes a tail dragger as well. They are different from a tricycle gear in many ways.

I also highly recommend you get rudder pedals, probably a yoke, and a throttle panel. If you're going to use a joy stick, buy a solid one with lots of buttons. People generally don't fly with a mouse. Define buttons on your controls & save the mouse controlling as much as possible.

Mainly Enjoy! If you're serious with the tutorials, you'll probably find what style of flying and therefore aircraft you prefer. Don't buy a bunch of planes or other options till you decide what style of flying you want most to do. A full hanger with planes you don't fly is a huge waste of money.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Hi all,.

thanks for the really useful feedback.

Update 1: I just bought the FSX Steam coz it's only 10 USD with sale, just in case if I lose the original disks. Plus, I crashed (system) with FSX Box version before but so far no problem with FSX Stream. I guess I would try this version and focus on the flying part but not tweaking of this and that.

Regarding to the Flight Stick. I used to have a Logitech 3D extreme Pro but I dont have it with me anymore. It was cheap but I dont like the deadzone problem close the the natural position which I needs it to precisely land a plane (flare the nose head up a bit) during touch down. I am thinking of getting the X52, but I tried it in store and the spring is like a joke, too weak. I might wanna try the X52 Pro.

Personally I wanna try the Pro Yoke as I think it gives better control than a stick? but I kind of like the Thrust design with X52 Pro. Even though it's in the beginning, but I enjoy flying with commericial plane normally, oh and the legendary LaserJet supersonic 45.

Can I also ask for cheap addon for a quick start to boost the visual just a bit? I am not buying any aircraft yet coz I think I can get them for free and at least I do not know which aircraft I will be flying. I plan to get the REX coz it will improve the cloud and weather. There are many versions of REX, can you suggest one also please?

Many many thanks!

I have P3D and FSX box. I much prefer the FSX & so I haven't even bothered to do updates with P3D. I can't speak for or against Steam. My box version works fine, no need for Steam.

As to multiplayer or a V.A., you're way out there from being ready for that. Learn the basics, fly the tutorials, build up your skills, then think about your options.

However, I agree with the OP, a VA can be a royal P.I.T.A. Some, probably most require you to fly specific routes, schedules, & in RW time. No 4X or 8X and no slewing. Set your autopilot and take a nap.

Your computer will do any of the three sim options pretty well, don't worry about that. But I would suggest you not spend money on fancy aircraft with manuals that looks like a dictionary until you know how to fly. And that includes a tail dragger as well. They are different from a tricycle gear in many ways.

I also highly recommend you get rudder pedals, probably a yoke, and a throttle panel. If you're going to use a joy stick, buy a solid one with lots of buttons. People generally don't fly with a mouse. Define buttons on your controls & save the mouse controlling as much as possible.

Mainly Enjoy! If you're serious with the tutorials, you'll probably find what style of flying and therefore aircraft you prefer. Don't buy a bunch of planes or other options till you decide what style of flying you want most to do. A full hanger with planes you don't fly is a huge waste of money.

I would say by all means join a V.A.

Don't worry about tales of humourless ,rule ridden flying(undoubtedly there are those types about),but I will mention just one Airsource (that is most definitely not humourless and rule ridden)Plenty of joyful flight to be found there.

Airsource is a terrific ,full featured ,comprehensive flight Sim site.

You can fly all your favourite airlines in there real world liveries (your not restricted to one VA's livery)

Aircraft choices are nice and relaxed to ie if you select a route for a 747 as an example you are allowed to select any four engined jet you fancy for that particular route ,you might prefer the A340 or 380 .

Iam also a member of a VA called Euroharmony ( very friendly and obviously with a more European membership.)No heaviness there either,in fact in ten years as a member I have never seen any incidents of forum rage (that is an achievement in itself for the internet.)

Anyways

Some thoughts

Cheers

Andy

Hello Again

Regards joystick.

If you don't want to spend a fortune ,I can thoroughly recommend the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X(also works with 9)

In the UK this is about thirty to fourty quid.

Not only do you get the stick ,but a large separate throttle control as well.

It is VERY solidly built and heavy (if you don't like heavy then may be not for you, however it can also double as a weightlifting course for those long cruising phases of flight :) )

Mine is still going strong after six years or so.

Anyways

More thoughts

Andy

I once joined a VA that turned out to be a lot less fun then advertised.

- Real Name required. (didn't give it, and got a lot of criticism for it, even threatening to throw me out.)

-Wanted my e-mail address, communicating via the normal way in the Online Flying site forums was not enough. Created new e-mail address for it.

-They sent me 20 e-mails that I "had to read to understand the structure of the company"

(only 20 members... laughable)

-They then wanted me to communicate via facebook as well. Sure as heck wasn't going to also create a facebook account for it!

-The communication, via e-mail, could not be followed by others, and I was told not to speak of it to others. Openly visible communication in forum was not replied to.

-Was told to fly at least several flights a week fotr them.

-Was told off, when they found out I flew for my enjoyment on the forum as well.(non-VA flights)

-That meant I could no longer fly any texture I wanted. I had to fly all flights for them, in their texture.

-Meant I could only fly the aircraft types they had a texture for.

-I was also told to communicate exclusively with them during flights. I was used to helping out newcomers on the site with flying on the server. Was told not to do that, but to spend more time with them instead.

-No longer allowed to speak German on the site to my friends. (Who spoke only German.) Because then they would not know what I was saying.

-They interrupted my flights telling me about this.

-I could go on.

Mostly caused by one overzealous person calling himself: "Chief Executive Officer", also referring to himself as "President" all the time, and his cronies, the "Chief Operations Officer (COO), Chief Financial Officer, and several others.

Everything was communicated in "Corporate Speech". Not a normal word in all those mails.

I sure hope not every VA is like that. I probably had a very bad experience there. But it put me off Online flying for a very long time.

Be aware that these types are out there, people that see leading a VA as a great way to tell people what to do all the time.

I hope you find something that is a bit better, I'm sure there are better VA's out there.

But I must say I had more fun flying online without a VA, simply doing my flights and talking to everyone, then I had focussing on a VA, having to fly on their schedule. It took all the fun right out of it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I once joined a VA that turned out to be a lot less fun then advertised.

- Real Name required. (didn't give it, and got a lot of criticism for it, even threatening to throw me out.)

-Wanted my e-mail address, communicating via the normal way in the Online Flying site forums was not enough. Created new e-mail address for it.

-They sent me 20 e-mails that I "had to read to understand the structure of the company"

(only 20 members... laughable)

-They then wanted me to communicate via facebook as well. Sure as heck wasn't going to also create a facebook account for it!

-The communication, via e-mail, could not be followed by others, and I was told not to speak of it to others. Openly visible communication in forum was not replied to.

-Was told to fly at least several flights a week fotr them.

-Was told off, when they found out I flew for my enjoyment on the forum as well.(non-VA flights)

-That meant I could no longer fly any texture I wanted. I had to fly all flights for them, in their texture.

-Meant I could only fly the aircraft types they had a texture for.

-I was also told to communicate exclusively with them during flights. I was used to helping out newcomers on the site with flying on the server. Was told not to do that, but to spend more time with them instead.

-No longer allowed to speak German on the site to my friends. (Who spoke only German.) Because then they would not know what I was saying.

-They interrupted my flights telling me about this.

-I could go on.

Mostly caused by one overzealous person calling himself: "Chief Executive Officer", also referring to himself as "President" all the time, and his cronies, the "Chief Operations Officer (COO), Chief Financial Officer, and several others.

Everything was communicated in "Corporate Speech". Not a normal word in all those mails.

I sure hope not every VA is like that. I probably had a very bad experience there. But it put me off Online flying for a very long time.

Be aware that these types are out there, people that see leading a VA as a great way to tell people what to do all the time.

I hope you find something that is a bit better, I'm sure there are better VA's out there.

But I must say I had more fun flying online without a VA, simply doing my flights and talking to everyone, then I had focussing on a VA, having to fly on their schedule. It took all the fun right out of it.

Now that really does sound rough!

I have to admit all that CEO ,President ,Senior executive stuff is rather pretentious/childish, I certainly would not have lasted long in that particular VA.

In defence of the two i mentioned (and iam a member of) I have not experienced anything like the sort of treatment you were handed out.

Simming is a broad church ,and I do like to fly to a schedule, for myself it gives a purpose to my flights.

The two VAs I fly for don't pressurise me in any way though. .The emphasis is on fun, which I have, usually aided by copius amounts of ice cold lager :)

Cheers

Andy

Archived