Rotary encoders for c172 MIP

camerakevin

Evening.

Asking around if anyone has any good technique for install of small rotary encoders into a hardboard panel face to overlay the LCD screen which will be my MIP in my 2nd home sim build. The first was a freshman attempt from 2008 but now I need to step it up a bit

I'm using Go Flight digital I/O board as they make it fairly fool proof in so far as plug and play.

I can get all kinds of creative with the hardware and tools but when it comes to custom key maping and or making your own circuit board to talk to FSX....I just assume pay the boys at Go Flight which is why I bought the module from them

The questions are;

What kind of depth can one get away with on the hole bores and bezels before it starts to look like you are looking down a tube to read each instrument?

I think between the rotary encoder body, it's required small board and the connector, it would need at least 1.5 to 2 inches. My feeling is that may force the LCD screen too far deep behind the face of the panel to look believable or be read on an instrument scan mid flight without bopping your head around like a Muhammad Ali.

So...

has anyone noticed a method or accomplished something like this with a minimal setback of the LCD screen?

I suppose one could use micro rotary encoders from an old computer mouse but then we are away from plug and play and into the wild outback that is programming via FSUIPC etc, etc...

I'm just smart enough to add a bit of left rudder on take off but too dim to fully explore the depths of custom interfaces.

Thanks

"Aviation is proof that given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible" ... Eddie Rickenbacker

• 9 months later...

Kevin, depending on what kind of aircraft your cockpit is simulating and just how realistic and accurate to the original you want to be, a small stand off box running the length of the screen could be used.

What I am trying to describe is a built up box either out of 0.125 (3mm) plastic or wood face about 1" to 2" deep to house the encoders. The top could be sloped, if you don't want a boxy appearance. The new section would look like a small automotive dash.

I have used two pieces of 3 mm Plexieglass (it is easier to machine that acrylic) with a printed face sandwiched between the two pieces of plastic with good results.

I hope this helps,

John

John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

Archived