Can Somebody Explain Me Prepar3D Please?

JennaKS777

Hey! I have some confussions and doubts about Prepar3D that I will list down below. Here we go:

1)What are the main differences between FSX and Prepar3D?

2)Wich one is better, FSX or Prepar3D?

3)Whats the best Version of Prepar3D?

4)How can I get Prepar3D?

5)What are the licenses? How deos it work?

6)Can I download addons, airplanes, etc to Prepar3D?

7)How can I make Prepar3D more Realistic?

8)Can I fly with Prepar3D like FSX?

9)Whar is your personal opinion about Prepar3D?

Hey! I have some confussions and doubts about Prepar3D that I will list down below. Here we go:

1)What are the main differences between FSX and Prepar3D?

2)Wich one is better, FSX or Prepar3D?

3)Whats the best Version of Prepar3D?

4)How can I get Prepar3D?

5)What are the licenses? How deos it work?

6)Can I download addons, airplanes, etc to Prepar3D?

7)How can I make Prepar3D more Realistic?

8)Can I fly with Prepar3D like FSX?

9)Whar is your personal opinion about Prepar3D?

1) FSX is a dead title. P3D is newer and continually being developed

2) I prefer P3D - it is an individual thing

3) the latest (3.1)

4) Buy it from the Prepar3d website - http://www.prepar3d.com

5) read the documentation on the website - you decide which you qualify for and buy it.

6)yes

7) buy more add-ons - it's fine out of the box but if you want lots of eye candy - it's there

8)Of course

9) I think it is the best flightsim out there and only getting better

Best part - there is a 60 day money back guarantee - so try it and if you don't like it - return it within 60 days and get a refund.

Enjoy!

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Iuse both FSX-SE and P3dV3. To say FSX is Dead, i believe is not totally accurate? Im using it right now and see plenty of new add on development for it. In fact I have to maintain FSX because many of my add ons are not functional in P3D or they cost much more money to purchase them for P3D.

CPU: I7 4790K @ 4.5 ghz, GPU and CPU water cooled

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970

MEM: Gskill Rippjaw 1866 17900

MB: Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z97X

You buy the version you qualify for. We do not discuss that here.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?257873-End-User-License-Agreement-(EULA)

P3d has a developed version of the FSX engine, adding things like cloud shadows, dynamic reflection, much better VAS handling, and a new modular format to the sim (in P3D v3.x) which allows easier updating without a full reinstall of all addons.

So how do you find P3D in termas of graphics / realism and simulation against FSX?

Realism and simulation is exactly the same. Scenery is the same. ATC is the same. AI is the same. Weather is the same (minus live weather). Etc. There are rumours that LM altered the FDE but it don't believe that. It would kill those addon aircraft developers who rely on it.

P3D is built on the same platform (ESP) as FSX is, but it has a massively updated graphics engine and a new GUI. Most of the changes happened "under the hood".

Visually P3D is "better" if you prefer the look. Then again - have a look at my comparison screenshots in the screenies forum between P3D and FSX, you won't see that much of a difference.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?294940-P3D-V3-CaptainSim-737

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?294954-FSX-DX10-comparison-to-P3D-V3

IMHO the real benefit of P3D is that it looks and works great right out of the box. Not so with FSX, you will have to go through a steep learning curve about tweaking and tools, and it will take weeks (if not months) until you get it to the same level. And at some point P3D will just leave FSX behind.

Likewise, the real benefit of FSX is, that it hasn't been updated for years (not SE though!). What you install in there, how much work or money you put in your sim world, it will continue to work forever. Every new version of P3D breaks compatibility with some addons, and an ever growing number will even never work again.

FSX & it's sister, FSX:SE are about 10 years old now, FSX:SE slightly modded, maybe 3 times in 10 years

P3D based on Microsoft's pro version called ESP, now on v3.1 & constantly being upgraded, about 8 times now.

The 'minor' versions, eg. V3.1,V3.2(?) are free updates of the original V3.

The major versions, V2, V3 etc are 'new' versions & are to be paid for.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

FSX & it's sister, FSX:SE are about 10 years old now, FSX:SE slightly modded, maybe 3 times in 10 years

P3D based on Microsoft's pro version called ESP, now on v3.1 & constantly being upgraded, about 8 times now.

The 'minor' versions, eg. V3.1,V3.2(?) are free updates of the original V3.

The major versions, V2, V3 etc are 'new' versions & are to be paid for.

Thats really Good. So once I buy the game, for example i bought the version v3.1 and they are gonna upgrade later to v3.2, do I have to pay the upgrade or its free?

You buy the version you qualify for. We do not discuss that here.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?257873-End-User-License-Agreement-(EULA)

P3d has a developed version of the FSX engine, adding things like cloud shadows, dynamic reflection, much better VAS handling, and a new modular format to the sim (in P3D v3.x) which allows easier updating without a full reinstall of all addons.

Ok! I will see which one do I qualify. So once i buy a license I dont have to buy anymore right? Just once and thats it.

Thats really Good. So once I buy the game, for example i bought the version v3.1 and they are gonna upgrade later to v3.2, do I have to pay the upgrade or its free?

V 3.2 is free

V 4.0 will not be. If LM stick to their policy, V 4.0 will be full price again (or more)

Not that it matters much, but this is not entirely correct.

Last version of FSX was the SP2 to the end of 2007 (ESP is the commercial version of SP2)

FSX SE is a recompiled version of FSX SP2 with Acceleration pack, built in 2014 (it is not 100% backwards compatible to FSX).

Not that it matters much, but this is not entirely correct.

Last version of FSX was the SP2 to the end of 2007 (ESP is the commercial version of SP2)

FSX SE is a recompiled version of FSX SP2 with Acceleration pack, built in 2014 (it is not 100% backwards compatible to FSX).

But Prepar3D still better than FSX right?

But Prepar3D still better than FSX right?

Define #better#. What would make one sim better than the other for you?

As I wrote, as far as simulation and functionality goes, they are the same. With a bit of work you can even make both look the same (or very similar), as my screenshots show.

P3D is better as a software, because it is actually being developed, which is not the case with any version of FSX. But - dependig on what you want to do with your sim and how much money you want to spend, it may not be better for your personal requirements - you may end up wondering why you spent so much money for something (P3D) that you could have had lot cheaper (FSX SE).

Define #better#. What would make one sim better than the other for you?

As I wrote, as far as simulation and functionality goes, they are the same. With a bit of work you can even make both look the same (or very similar), as my screenshots show.

P3D is better as a software, because it is actually being developed, which is not the case with any version of FSX. But - dependig on what you want to do with your sim and how much money you want to spend, it may not be better for your personal requirements - you may end up wondering why you spent so much money for something (P3D) that you could have had lot cheaper (FSX SE).

P3D is better because it is more up to date by far and runs smoother and looks better, than FS9 and FSX which are over a decade old.

P3D is better because it is more up to date by far and runs smoother and looks better, than FS9 and FSX which are over a decade old.

Well, in my case I would have to disagree. I am using all those sims, and P3D does not strike me as being particularly superior. My preferred sim currently is FSX on DX10, hand tweaked and optimized over the past 2 years and furnished with a ton of addons - which, for me personally, are the salt the sim soup - not the base platform.

- FPS are about 30% lower in P3D 3.1 at the same settings with the same addons

- I am not sure that I like the DX11 look. All this HDR and stuff just looks slightly fuzzy to me, compared to the crisp-ness of DX10'd FSX

- I thoroughly dislike the non-functional AntiAliasing in P3D leading to shimmering of fine details.

- The stutters are back in P3D. Had them cured in my FSX pretty good

- Atmospheric scattering is better in P3D, sky coloring is better in FSX.

- The improved VAS management mechanism in P3D seems to be partly based on texture unloading. This leads to either black or at least re-loading textures (that were there only a second ago) when panning too fast (on my system, triple Full HD with TrackIR). As far as I am concerned, textures are unloaded too eagerly compared to FSX. (No it is not my system, every sim is running on an SSD, using its own, hand-tuned Win7 installation)

- The rest (AI logic, ATC, FDE, sound engine, weather) is exactly the same, even down to the OOMs I am finally getting in P3D too

Bottom line, P3D does not meet my requirements to a degree that I parted with the $200 for 2.x and recently another $200 for 3.x really happily - yet. True, some of my issues are probably system related (i7 3770K @ 4.5, 780ti) and people with really powerful GPUs (980ti, Titan X) and not so many addons are probably thrilled by P3D v3.x.

From the perspective of a totally "new" person to flight simulation, the choices really narrow down to either FSX - Steam Edition or Prepar3D v3.x...

...since new FSX + Acceleration disks are as rare as hen's teeth and the few that still are available are priced as though they are platinum! :rolleyes:

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

From the perspective of a totally "new" person to flight simulation, the choices really narrow down to either FSX - Steam Edition or Prepar3D v3.x...

...since new FSX + Acceleration disks are as rare as hen's teeth and the few that still are available are priced as though they are platinum! :rolleyes:

EXACTLY! If P3D was a better product, you'd have trouble giving FSX disks away. But they're not they're priced as though they are platinum! :rolleyes:

I have both and do 90+% of my flying with FSX. And no, my disk set isn't and won't be for sale in the predictable future.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

When something becomes ancient and out of print - it sometimes becomes more valuable. This in NO WAY indicates that FSX is preferred to P3D. Apples and oranges.

Out of the box, p3d is a far better sim than FSX ever was. I have two P32D systems and 1 FSX system configured with most of the popular add-ons. FSX doesn't even come close to P3D. Although not as bad as FSX, P3D still can be tweaked to personal preferences.

I won't even get into the major differences that P3D has that FSX never had nor will it ever.

And to the comment that " I have fsx and p3d with the same settings and get 30% less fps" - just as with FS9 and FSX - they are NOT at the same settings. crank everything in FSX to the MAX and you'll be at P3D normal.

P3D is more about smooth graphics not FPS - I'll take a smooth 20-30fps ANYDAY over a jittery 40-60.

However, it's all related to the individual system and the individual perception - for me - P3D is far and away the better sim and it's under continual development.

FSX is a dead title - SE is FSX with a few more bells and whistles - it COULD be worked into something even better - time will tell - and P3D which as it sits is continually growing and improving far beyond the old FSX.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Hey Vic,

It's not personal! I bought P3D hoping I'd love it & I've posted on this board where you and others helped me a lot learning the new program. It's just to date I'm not pleased with P3D. If I were happy with P3D I'd take the money from my Boxed set of FSX and run to buy more payware scenery!

Perhaps Version 4 will be better or maybe the new rumored vaporware FSX. Being a former real world pilot, I do want a better more RW experience so I will buy whatever is new and try it.

Since most of my hours were in choppers, if anyone comes up a good chopper simulation I'll gladly scrap my hardware and software then build/buy whatever it takes to make it the best sim experience I can make it.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

When something becomes ancient and out of print - it sometimes becomes more valuable. This in NO WAY indicates that FSX is preferred to P3D. Apples and oranges.

Out of the box, p3d is a far better sim than FSX ever was. I have two P32D systems and 1 FSX system configured with most of the popular add-ons. FSX doesn't even come close to P3D. Although not as bad as FSX, P3D still can be tweaked to personal preferences.

I won't even get into the major differences that P3D has that FSX never had nor will it ever.

And to the comment that " I have fsx and p3d with the same settings and get 30% less fps" - just as with FS9 and FSX - they are NOT at the same settings. crank everything in FSX to the MAX and you'll be at P3D normal.

P3D is more about smooth graphics not FPS - I'll take a smooth 20-30fps ANYDAY over a jittery 40-60.

However, it's all related to the individual system and the individual perception - for me - P3D is far and away the better sim and it's under continual development.

FSX is a dead title - SE is FSX with a few more bells and whistles - it COULD be worked into something even better - time will tell - and P3D which as it sits is continually growing and improving far beyond the old FSX.

Vic

Good answer Vic! How I say, thing that are new, are better than thing that are old, Is like comparing a lamborghini Diablo and a lamborghini Aventador... I know that FSX had some updates before, but the Simulator is Old. At the End, is What people feel better with, i feel better going to P3D from FSX... FSX was My "Mentor" and now is time to change to something neewer and updated. I'm Still loving FSX, but I want something that is made in these days. Anyway, is Just a Simulator, is no something that if you buy, you are gonna die...

JUST ENJOY AND LEARN! Btw Thanks to all the people who help me with My doubts!

Good answer Vic! How I say, thing that are new, are better than thing that are old, Is like comparing a lamborghini Diablo and a lamborghini Aventador... I know that FSX had some updates before, but the Simulator is Old. At the End, is What people feel better with, i feel better going to P3D from FSX... FSX was My "Mentor" and now is time to change to something neewer and updated. I'm Still loving FSX, but I want something that is made in these days. Anyway, is Just a Simulator, is no something that if you buy, you are gonna die...

JUST ENJOY AND LEARN! Btw Thanks to all the people who help me with My doubts!

Would be nice if you shared your thoughts here when you have P3D and spent some time with it.

That would IMHO be a great help to others who are on the fence too.

Archived