Wind Map

Paxx

Well it seems to be only for the UK. Here is another one. Click on wind lines to see wind speed. Use mouse wheel to zoom in/out. Left click and drag to move the 'globe' over area you want to look at.

Chuck B

Link: http://earth.nullschool.net/jp/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-120.84,40.95,3000

Edit: I found the drop down to choose area-sorry. Nice one.

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Now this one has it ALL. Fantastic. Thanks ianhr. Bookmarked it and now sits next to my 'Earth' icon in toolbar. (I think that my 'Earth' icon has got to go - that's progress (hehe)).

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Incidentally some years ago there was a site on the net that gave a real-time view in real colours of the earth from a satellite in geostationary orbit about 5(?) thousand miles up and you could see cloud swirls over the whole hemisphere, it was fun seeing how the earth looked from space at any particular time.

Later I lost the site and can't find it again (sniffle)

So I use a third part weather engine in FS. What are the chances of the upper air being accurate in FS compared to these sites?

I looked at the windyty site and decided a flight between KMLS Miles City, MT and KOMA Omaha, NE should be good for a stiff tailwind at 27,000' so I loaded up the PC-12 and took off. I used ASN in real time and yep, sure enough, 120 kts right on my tail feathers almost all the way. I saw 380-390 kts groundspeed most of the way and nudged it to just over 400 in the beginning of the descent. Block to block in less than 2 hrs, 530 nm, that's a single engine turboprop mind you and flown completely within temp & torque limits. Landed with 3nm visibility in snow. I've not seen any other weather utility nail winds aloft like ASN does, maybe there is one but I haven't found it.

I've found that AvnWx (www.avnwx.com) also provides good Winds Aloft data; hover your Cursor over an Airport, and look for the balloon without a check mark. Place your cursor over that, and the Winds Aloft data comes up.

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

So I use a third part weather engine in FS. What are the chances of the upper air being accurate in FS compared to these sites?

Actually, is this upper air?

I think my link is surface winds with a ten minute delay or thereabouts.

I use ASN and as a lark decided to see if I could fly my Epic Lt from PHTO (Hilo,HI) to KSBA (Santa Barbara, CA). The flight is about 2056nm, while I was unsure whether my fuel tanks were original or optional long range with this model.

Checking windyty winds aloft at FL300 I see 50 - 80kn winds coming out of the west and headed pretty much the way I was going. Away I go, get to altitude (FL310), and ASN winds match windyty within a knot or 5 - for the next 4 hours 57 mins. Out in the middle of the Pacific I think I was getting a few buoy/PIREPS reports during ASN 15 min updates.

I was impressed.

(And indeed an Epic LT can do 2056nm, with reserve, if you enjoy a 70kn +/- tailwind the whole way.)

;)

Epic Lt PHTO_KSBA.jpg

Archived