win 10 upgrade

amberdog1

• 4 months later...
I know very little of Windows 10, but what little I do know is it seems to be a massive improvement.
System Specs: ASRock z170 motherboard, Core i7 Quad-Core @4.0 ghz. Geforce GTX 960 4GB graphics. 16GB Gskill Ripjaw DDR4 Ram

• 3 weeks later...

Win 10 is definitely the way to go. Simply be aware that you may encounter some initial problems with running FSX/FS2004 but all are easily remedied. There are a number of threads within the forum that highlight the problems and fixes so do some searching so that you have a general idea of what might occur.

My experience of upgrading to W10 and running FSX has seen both sides of the issue - my first was an upgrade with FSX already installed and I got no problems whatsoever. After a few months of running FSX with no problems I choose to, due to an issue unrelated to W10, uninstall and re-install FSX onto a new drive. Following this install I encountered the very common black screen issue - very easy to fix.

A few key points to consider are:

Decide on whether you want to do a completely fresh install of the OS or an upgrade using your current settings, preferences etc.

Backup important stuff.

Finally, do not to directly upgrade via the windows provided Get Win 10 icon or via Windows update - instead, follow this very useful guide - http://www.howtogeek.com/225048/how-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-or-8-to-windows-10-right-now/ - it also gives tips on how to minimise what privacy information is passed to MS.

Regards

Brian

Archived