Help needed: wrong engine sound

andmaste

Good morning to everyone, it is my first post here.

I need some help.

My son, 13 y.o., loves FS2004 and goes on asking me new aircraft, new textures end new panels. That's right, no problem.

But, since a week ago, some planes (B777 and B787 in particular) have lost their original engine sound, and they have now the sound of a Cessna.

Do you have any idea about how to reset the right engine sound?

Thank you and Happy Holidays.

Andrea from Italy

Look in the aircraft.cfg for each [fltsim.X] for the line sound= to see if it points to something. Those specific aircraft may have used an alias to a default aircraft like the 737 or 747. Also look into the 777 or 787 folder to see if it has a sound folder. Open the sound folder to see if it has various .wav files and a sound.cfg file. It may just contain a .cfg file that will point to the aliased sound.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Look in the aircraft.cfg for each [fltsim.X] for the line sound= to see if it points to something. Those specific aircraft may have used an alias to a default aircraft like the 737 or 747. Also look into the 777 or 787 folder to see if it has a sound folder. Open the sound folder to see if it has various .wav files and a sound.cfg file. It may just contain a .cfg file that will point to the aliased sound.

SOLVED

Thank you Mrzippy for your quick answer and your hints.

In effect all these aircrafts have

sound=[empty]

in the aircraft.cfg

But, in the sound folder, the 'sound.cfg' file pointed to 'B737_400\sound' folder.

2 days ago I renamed the folder 'B737_400' into 'Boeing737_400' so the path was wrong.

I just renamed back 'Boeing737_400' into 'B737_400' and everything worked fine immediatly.

Thank you very much.

Andrea

You can safely rename such folders as long as you remember to edit the paths for any aliases.

I got around this on my system by creating a "_sound" folder in the FS9/aircraft folder, moving all sound folders to that and editing all sound.cfg files to point to the proper "_sound/xxx" folder (I use the underscore simply to keep that folder at the top). Now none of my installed aircraft have any sounds in their individual folders, it is easy to change an aircraft's sound or add a sound to a new aircraft, and I can rename or delete any aircraft without affecting any other aircraft's sound (I rarely rename folders but often rename an aircraft in its .cfg file so for example, I have a "Beech Bonanza" instead of a "Carenado Beech Bonanza").

You can safely rename such folders as long as you remember to edit the paths for any aliases.

I got around this on my system by creating a "_sound" folder in the FS9/aircraft folder, moving all sound folders to that and editing all sound.cfg files to point to the proper "_sound/xxx" folder (I use the underscore simply to keep that folder at the top). Now none of my installed aircraft have any sounds in their individual folders, it is easy to change an aircraft's sound or add a sound to a new aircraft, and I can rename or delete any aircraft without affecting any other aircraft's sound (I rarely rename folders but often rename an aircraft in its .cfg file so for example, I have a "Beech Bonanza" instead of a "Carenado Beech Bonanza").

Thank you jgf for the hints.

Andrea

Archived