Is Prepar3D same as FSX

sungaila

Hi just a quick question is P3D basically a repackaged FSX, and will it run smoothly on Win 10 out of the box?

Reason is I have FSX gold but it won't install on Win 10 for me. I have Xplane 10 but find it frustrating compared to the FS product line which I have had since the 1980s.

I like enhanced scenery areas for sightseeing, Xplane not so great in that regard. Sim accuracy not that important to me, I was a real pilot.

Trying to decide if dropping another $70 or so is worthwhile.

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Oakville Ontario

P3D is a considerably enhanced sim that was originally based on FSX, but there are LOTS of changes, including much greater use of the graphics card and many extra features, so no, it's not "a repackaged FSX." It is backward compatible with SOME of the FSX add-ons, but far from all.

Whether it will run smoothly depends on your system but, for me, it was smoother and higher frame rates than FSX when I made the switch last year.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I'd urge you to fix the Win 10 problem. First.

P3D will expose any weaknesses in your system.

But it does come with a 60-day refund so you can try it and see.

It's about as far from FSX in its current v3.xx version as FSX was from FS2004. But none of that matters if you can't use the advanced features.

Consider FSX Steam its 5 bucks when on sale, (which I think it is), p3d v3 is only slightly better looking and performing. I own both and while aircraft and shadows look much better in p3d I find scenery is better in FSX.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I find scenery is better in FSX.

What's different? Are you running with HDR enabled or not? I ask because a friend prefers P3D with HDR off, while I mostly prefer it on, except maybe at night.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

PLEASE, not yet another FSX:SE is better than P3D!! That is NOT what is being asked.

So, Ray, give P3D a try, they have a 60 day refund policy if you are not happy.

Just remember, FSX is about 10 years old, FSX:SE is the same, with some mods, P3D is on v3.1 now, & constantly being upgraded. (See their site, I'm sure you have already)

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

IMHO, if one cannot see a significant difference for the better between P3D and FSX(:SE) - they have failed miserably in setting up P3D.

But as has been said, they have a 60 day refund policy - make your own decisions on your own hardware.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been using MS Flight Simulator since 1995. My last copy was FSX and it ran good but not that great. On windows 10, I can the run the simulator quite fine but still have FPS issues. About two days ago I decided to purchase P3D. I run it at 60 FPS and the simulation looks amazing. However, I'm not running any addons or custom aircrafts besides PMDG 737-800. Game locks up on me and requires to reboot my system. That's a PMDG issue with windows 10/p3d. Overall, I really like P3D over FSX. It's a lot smoother and no FPS loss.

I like enhanced scenery areas for sightseeing, Xplane not so great in that regard. Sim accuracy not that important to me, I was a real pilot.

Plenty of answers to your basic question, so I won't do that. But your statement above is stunning. I'm also a licensed pilot. It's because of my experience in real cockpits that sim accuracy is my top priority. If my sim doesn't behave like I expect, it's a show-stopper for me. Oh, well...different strokes, I guess.

Archived