Thread: ILS localizer

1. Default ILS localizer

"Wait until established on the localizer" Who establishes me - me or the system, and when do I have to turn whatever is required on? What's the diference between approach hold and localizer hold?

Default RE: ILS localizer

I believe it means wait until you are lined up with the runway.

I could be wrong.

[font color= red]Ian Ritchie[/font color= red]
    coolian2@hotmail.com
    [hr]
    http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/Use...5170cbcb00.jpg

"Established on the localizer" means that the plane's navigational equipment is receiving the correct localizer signal and that the plane is flying on the runway heading aligned with the localizer beam.

This also means that this is something that you -- the pilot -- do. Now, you may tell the autopilot to handle this by engaging "Approach Hold" mode.

"Localizer Hold" refers to the autopilot controlling the plane's horizontal movement to keep it aligned with the localizer beam. This combines with "Glide Slope Hold" (or "G/S Hold"), which controls the plane's vertical movement to keep it aligned with the glide slope for the runway, for a full "Approach Hold."

Now in some cases, a runway might only be equipped with a localizer (no G/S), so even in "Approach Hold"-capable aircraft, you'd still have to manually fly the glide slope according to the approach plates for the runway. For example, KSAN RWY 27 -- because of the unique approach over downtown San Diego, the glide slope is defined on the approach procedures. There is no G/S component for the ILS, so it is only a localizer approach.

Hope that helps (and any gurus out there feel free to correct me if I mis-stated anything)!

See ya in the pattern!
    -Josh

------------
    "It is better to be silent and thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain

Well you aren't really wrong,because if you're established on ILS then yes,you're lined up w/the RW. But being established on the ILS means you have intercepted the localizer on your instruments.Otherwise you would just report field or RW in sight for the visual.
    Also,some ILS will have the Localizer and glideslope beam,and others may not have glideslope.
    ATC will vector you to intercept the localizer.You must dial the ILS freq into your nav1 (and set your course/obs to the RW heading).You will intercept the Loc just like a vor radial; turn to the course as the needle centers and report when established.

Localizer hold? No idea.

cheers
    KC

i5 2500k / Asrock P67 Extreme4 gen3 / 8800GTS 512 / 8GB DDR3 1600 / CM hyper 212 / antec 550W / ASUS 23" VH232H / Windows 7 - 64
    FSX UTX GEX REX TEX MEX SEX

Thanks KC, i understand a bit more now :)

[font color= red]Ian Ritchie[/font color= red]
    coolian2@hotmail.com
    [hr]
    http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/Use...5170cbcb00.jpg

>Also,some ILS will have the Localizer and glideslope beam,and others
    >may not have glideslope.

Not exactly. An ILS is a precision approach. Therefore, it has both vertical (GS) and horizontal (localizer) navigation cues. A localizer approach (LOC) will only have the horizontal cues and is a non-precision approach. A LOC approach may be part of an ILS and provide a glide slope but the aircraft's instruments may not be able to display it. Therefore, it is still a LOC approach (non-precision) and not an ILS.

Other approaches similar to a LOC are SDF (simplified directional facility) which is similar to a localizer approach but the course width may be greater (6 or 12) making it less precise, and LDA (localizer-type direction aid) which has the same course width as a localizer (~5) but is not aligned with the runway. I don't know if LDA or SDF approaches are replicated in FS2002.

I'm sure that was more info than you wanted/needed, but I'm trying to remember this for my instrument training.

-----
    Ken G:-wave

What you may be remembering is something like "descend and maintain 2,500 untill established on the localizer. Cleared ILS runway 22". What in a nutshell they are telling you is to follow the clearance they are giving you untill the needle of the localizer starts to move. Then you are free to follow the rest of the published approach. Go lower than 2,500 and you may die.

The reason for all this is that when getting vectored you are not following a published approach plate. All those lines and numbers on an instrument approach plate are there for only one reason, to keep you from killing yourself by running into something on the ground. Follow the published procedure and you will be safe. Now if something were to come up and you could not communicate with approach while getting vectored, how would you navigate? How low could you go and still be safe and shoot the approach. The clearances in the real world are designed to help miniminze this possibility but it can happen.

approach. The clearances in the real world are designed to help miniminze this possibility but it can happen.

Which is why there are rules for lost communications, and is also why you provide an estimated time for the trip on your flight plan, so that ATC can clear things for you all the way to the destination at appropriate times. Of course if you also lose nav capability...

Larry N.

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/Use...de0e398ee2.jpg

Larry N.

9. Default RE: ILS localizer

Thanks all