Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: FS2004 on Windows 8.1 (again).

Default FS2004 on Windows 8.1 (again).

I have seen innumerable posts, on various forums, about FS2004/Windows 8.1, but none of them address the problem I have encountered.

Installation in another folder, rather than the system's default, is frequently advised. And there are reports of installing "normally" without ill effects.

I thought I would try the simple approach.

Inserting disc 1 into the d.v.d. drive, the drive makes a series of clicking noises which I have never experienced before. The drive reads other c.ds and d.v.ds correctly.

Clicking on the drive's desktop icon, a list of files was presented - although the clicking continued. Clicking on the Setup.Exe file brought up a (Not Responding) message in the drive's window. The "Not Responding" message eventually disappeared and the rotating blue circle (busy?) was displayed.

After waiting a long time last night I left the disc in the drive, which continued making the clicking sounds, and went to bed.

This morning I found that the first screen of FS2004 was open and I was able to proceed with the installation. At the end I had a Flight Simulator icon on the desktop but clicking on it did nothing.

At no time during the installation did I see any way of selecting where the files were installed.

I have now uninstalled it using IObit's Ubinstaller.

I have no idea of what to do next. Can someone help please?
    Last edited by dmb06851; 12-18-2015 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Speeling error.
    Equal rights for equal responsibilities.
    Equal opportunities for equal abilities.

Might not be much help here because my son had already installed FS9 for me on my 8.1 tower system, BUT I have noticed at various times when I have put a CD/DVD in the drawer it will not run the program or show the disc contents until it seems to have read all of the disc or put it in memory? I don't remember having this problem with my laptop when it was 8.1 (& is now W10), or previously on W7.
    Keith

Hi,

The clicking and the not starting are not related. A Windows update now prevents FS9 from starting with CD4 in the drive. You can find lots of information on this problem here in this forum and elsewhere on the web.

An example:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showt...Sim-won-t-load!

Hope this helps,
    Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

+1 to Tom's suggestion of looking at the highlighted thread - it will definitely get you up and running.

WRT the problem of long CD load times - this is generally not related directly to the OS but more down to the way CD/DVDs are produced and formatted these days. As a consequence newer drives are designed to read the new formats and struggle to effectively read the older formats such as those used by FS2004/FSX. Likewise an older drive may not be able to read the newer formats.

BTW dob08651 - don't go sticking an enlarged version of your avatar pic in the window - you might get some unwanted guests!!
    Last edited by longbreak754; 12-18-2015 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Added BTW comment
    Regards

Brian

Thank you Tom. I've read that thread and have uninstalled KB3086255.

Let's see what happens now.

Brian, that's very interesting. I will no doubt have to wait again for the drive to read the disc properly again.

How, though, do I intervene in the installation process to tell the system to install the program in the folder I choose?
    Last edited by dmb06851; 12-18-2015 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmb06851 View Post
    .............How, though, do I intervene in the installation process to tell the system to install the program in the folder I choose?...........
    When you re-install just let the disk do its thing - don't open it in explorer to view the files or to click on the .exe file.

When the FS2004 install wizard starts the main installation screen will offer you 2 options - Express or Customise. Select the Customise option and you will be able to select the installed folder location to suit your needs.
    Last edited by longbreak754; 12-18-2015 at 03:50 PM.
    Regards

Brian

I have installed it now in its own folder on the C drive, but clicking on the desktop icon does nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by dmb06851 View Post
    I have installed it now in its own folder on the C drive, but clicking on the desktop icon does nothing.
    Is it a new ICON that points to the new location?
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

Keep in mind that if you do not Hide the update it will be installed again during the next update. Perhaps that happened already?
    Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by tgibson_new View Post
    Keep in mind that if you do not Hide the update it will be installed again during the next update. Perhaps that happened already?
    That's exactly what it does. But once FS9 installed it runs correctly, even with this ominous update.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast