Windows 10

Device compatibility is one thing, software compatibility is another.

Not all addons are compatible unfortunately. Unless the developers address the problems, they never will be.

Sent from my tablet thingy!

There isn't a single piece of software that runs under Win 7/8 that will not run under Win 10 unless you can list an add-on that is not compatible with Win 10.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

I appreciate the replies guys. As expected there are mixed reviews on win 10. I have 2 flight pc's and I think I'm going to upgrade one of them to see how it goes. They both have FS9 and FSX and I run them both without addons. I do have 20-30 freeware aircraft installed in the sims but no 3rd party software so I think I'll be safe. The issue of FS9 not running after the upgrade is a curious one. If that happens, the computer geek in me will have fun figuring out what it takes to get the sim running.

Hi Kenny,

Just to list the issues I've seen

- the aircraft preview does not work in full screen - it does if you switch to window mode...

- you can't alt tab out of the program when in full screen - you have to go to window mode first - to start things like RC4 - AI Smooth - and - Auto Tower...

- FS9 crashes all the time when I select an aircraft and then try to start a flight - it seems to work better if I save the desired flight first - then exit FS9 - then go back in and just select the saved flight...

- chronic hangs in Full Screen and you can't Alt Tab out - make sure you select the option in Task Manager to always be on top so you can kill FS9 when needed otherwise you have to logoff your PC...

- FS9 crashes almost every time I exit a flight...

- many of my Payware planes cause crashes...

There's more but you get the idea - if you have better performance - I'd happy to hear about it...

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

Copy that Scott. I have decided to put off upgrading for a week or two. I want to get to the point at which I upgraded my 5 year old laptop. I hit the upgrade button thinking either it will work or not. I didn't care either way. I have not reached that point with my two flight computers. I'm going to install FS9 on my laptop first. It worked just fine with win 7 and I'm looking forward to see the result of it running or not on the win 10 laptop. Stay tuned. Happy flying.

Not totally true JSKorna in your post. If you are talking about your experience from the home use, then fine, and with MS Office in the business world also OK, but Office 2010 gives some issues. But there is plenty of software out there that works on Windows 7 (it should it's been out since 2009) but does not play nice with W8.1 or W10. I work with a client that has a product called ESP, a work scheduler/Manager with EFT/POS and cash drawer, works perfectly in W7, but is a no go in W10, and the manufacturer knows this and is working on the upgrade. Or how about older versions of QuickBooks, that does not work at all in W10, has to be upgraded for a cost.

And as to SIM's, FS9 works but has a black aircraft pic in full screen mode at the launcher, no problem in windowed mode, and I could go on. Se be careful of such a bold statement. Business Production and those of us that support it's IT, know full well to not rush in, and wait for the first full Service pack from MS. Just like MS has done to fix the bad and irritating issues of W10, in their end of November 1511 release. And that's also approximately the time that the software houses release their wares to support the new O/S.

On the whole W10 is a great update for us simmers with FSX, P3D, FlightGear, DCS, Rise of Flight, X-Plane etc, as I have tested all of the former on W10, and all good, in the personal / home space. So those wanting to upgrade your own hardware with W10, go for it.

Regards

Andrew Brown

Screwbottle

W10 Pro 1703 x64 / openSuSE LEAP 42.2, Core i7 4790K 4.5GHZ OC, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming5 mobo, Gigabyte AMD R9 280X 3GB GPU, Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB DDR3 1.6GHZ mem, CoolerMaster G750M 750W PSU, Zalman CNPS10X Shark Fin CPU Cooler

Hi Kenny,

Just to list the issues I've seen

- the aircraft preview does not work in full screen - it does if you switch to window mode...

- you can't alt tab out of the program when in full screen - you have to go to window mode first - to start things like RC4 - AI Smooth - and - Auto Tower...

- FS9 crashes all the time when I select an aircraft and then try to start a flight - it seems to work better if I save the desired flight first - then exit FS9 - then go back in and just select the saved flight...

- chronic hangs in Full Screen and you can't Alt Tab out - make sure you select the option in Task Manager to always be on top so you can kill FS9 when needed otherwise you have to logoff your PC...

- FS9 crashes almost every time I exit a flight...

- many of my Payware planes cause crashes...

There's more but you get the idea - if you have better performance - I'd happy to hear about it...

Regards,

Scott

Hi Scott

All of these issues with FS9 and FSX in W10, will go away or be minimized if you re-install outside of the default folders of /Program Files (x86). This was a known issues from W7 and persists through W8/8.1 and 10, due to the age of FS9 and FSX. I install anything of a gaming nature / simulators etc and all of the scenery, aircraft and weather engine add-ons there as well, onto a second high speed hybrid hard drive, and I have no issues running the mentioned simulators in my other post above.

Many persist in running these old pre-64bit products, on a 64bit system and expect no grief. Long story short, it's to do with the way the two program folders work as virtual folders, and not hard coded physical folders. So when one creates a SIM or Games folder, then we immediately remove this anomaly for these old programs to figure out what is going on.

And as you indicated too, I only have a problem with FS9 with the black aircraft display window in the launcher at full screen. Easily solved, hold down Alt key and tap Enter key and voila window mode and visible aircraft, do the necessary selections and when ready to fly, Alt and Enter again to full screen. Otherwise perfect preservation and flying these old boys on W10. I've even got P3D v3.0 working with FS9 and FSX default, freeware and payware aircraft so far. So for me my FS9 and FSX days are numbered as I get more and more involved in P3D and X-Plane 10

Screwbottle

W10 Pro 1703 x64 / openSuSE LEAP 42.2, Core i7 4790K 4.5GHZ OC, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming5 mobo, Gigabyte AMD R9 280X 3GB GPU, Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB DDR3 1.6GHZ mem, CoolerMaster G750M 750W PSU, Zalman CNPS10X Shark Fin CPU Cooler

Andrew,

Please tell FS2004 users that they really don't need to see a preview plane at the launcher screen. They know what the plane looks like. Yep I am sure you can pull up some other stuff that like 100 people use also. Just use Google and there are some things from Win 3.1 that don't work anymore either. If you want modern sometimes you need to upgrade everything to modern.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my issues in detail... Really appreciated...

;)

My OS is in one SSD and all my flight sim stuff is on another SSD...

My upgrade was from Win7x64 to Win10 - so I had addressed all the 64 bit issues (gauge swaps) previously and it had worked fine for years... All these problems started after Win10... One suggestion I've heard is that the "upgrade" process can screw things up and that it may be better to do full installs on the OS...

I certainly appreciate any new ideas - because I'm really at a loss... Im considering a full wipe of my machine and creating a dual boot box with both OS's loaded...

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

Hi Guys,

Yesterday my wife and I were at some friends home. He is a software engineer with years and years of experience. Laura was having trouble with her computer. We had "upgraded" to Win 10 on that machine. Our friend said that the problems (slow, apps glitching, etc) were probably due to doing the upgrade. His suggestion was to get the ISO Win 10 as Dolly said in reply #6 here. So, make sure you're getting the ISO Win 10 and NOT the one that is not ISO. We got the ISO version and it did help.

Bill Mattson

Mountain Air 1894

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time.

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time

So everyone is back and forth about this...does anyone have a final say to whether we should upgrade to 10 or remain on 7?

Would be running

FSX Steam

Rex 4 w soft clouds

ASN

FTX global base

FTX global vector

FTX open LC Europe

Megascenery

Does anyone have issues running those on Windows 10?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update one...I installed win 10 on a win 7 5 year old laptop. I did run FS9 with win 7 just fine. Tonight I installed FS9 on the laptop. So far so good. No problems running in windowed mode which is the way I fly FS9 and FSX. Now I think I'm good to go as far as FS9 if I decide to upgrade to win 10 on my 2 flight pc's. I know my graphic cards have win 10 drivers and I'm pretty sure I'll make the jump on those pc's soon. Stay tuned.

Hi Jim, Andrew & all,

I used the MediaCreationTool to upgrade my Windows 7 & 8.1 laptops. The W7 one is my simming one. Apart from having to update drivers, that I had never done before, everything works perfectly, & I have FS9, GoldenWings & P3Dv1.4 (yes I know, but the laptop is only DX10) all installed in the default Program Files directory where they wanted to go.. After the W10 upgrade, & even before trying the sims, I copied & pasted my 'backup' version of FS9 into the root C;\ just in case. (my UAC is, & has always been turned down).

Well, all my versions work perfectly, as they always have. & I have also always used windows mode. It seems that things are actually running a bit faster as well.

Cheers,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Hi JSKorna

I've done this in my subsequent posts, the easiest as I indicated in my posts, is the combination of Alt and Enter to window the FS9 manager to "see" the aircraft, then Alt and Enter to full screen and go fly.

What's the old saying "You can take a horse to the water, but you cannot make it drink". This is the main issue with a number of people asking for help, but never follow the advice. Why ask then.

Go well

Screwbottle

Hi Captpola

I say YES upgrade, and hopefully I am the final say. I am running all of your above except for FSX Steam and Megascenery, I use all of Orbx FTX instead, and I never will use FSX:SE. No issues with the upgrade on two computers, i7 high ends with 16 GB of RAM and multiple hard drives. Just make sure that you download the latest releases of REX, ASN, FTX. These also cover the latest version 3 release of P3D as well.

And if like others such as Bill Mattson posting here (I'm also a hardware and software engineer 40 years experience with the last four as my own business), you want to do a fresh install, and you don't want to pay for the Windows 10 with a new license, as it is for free until 29th July 2016 if you have a qualifying product (All W7 editions and W8.1), do the upgrade first. Then download the Microsoft Media Creation Tool (MCT), run it, be patient, it can take 3 to 5 minutes to show anything on screen as it analyses your system, it looks like it is not running. Then create your media (the ISO option) or a flash drive version. Back up everything you want to keep and then wipe the drive and re-install with no key, your upgrade key is now logged with MS, both online and on the media. So there is this way if you want a fresh install for no extra cost other then internet time and bandwidth.

I have tried both, the upgrade on both my systems, and then a full clean and fresh install on my second system. The results are the same, all of my software and simulators run fine. One thing you must do for this to all work as smoothly as possible, clean out your system with good housekeeping tools, and defragment all mechanical hard drives, NOT SDD's HEED THE WARNING.

I use Steven Gould's CleanUp, Piriform's free tools such as CCleaner, Defraggler etc for the housekeeping and defragmentation, and Macecraft payware PowerTools, for the best registry and system management bar none (nearly 20 year of me using it since it's freeware days with NO issues). Also make sure all updates for either W7 or W8.1, whatever your O/S is to be upgraded, is up to date, the latest you can get, and make sure you have no damage from malware residing or has resided on your system.

If you are competent and can handle a powerful tool to really get you system in mint condition, especially from malware damage, you can use Tweaking.com's Windows Repair. I use all of these with total safety and satisfaction, just go slowly and read carefully, as we experts like to say RTFM, I'm sure you know what this stands for.

Regards

Andrew

Screwbottle

Hello Robin

Long time no see/chat. One of these days I'll come down to Cape Town and make a visit.

Ja, we have to use the MCT I'm afraid, as MS in their wonderful wisdom did not create this tool in W7 W8/8.1 or W10 by default. They do provide a way to roll back to one's previous O/S but I warn others here as well, in the two attempts I have used it, both failed with disaster, and I ended up rebuilding the O/S and programs from scratch.

There are W10 drivers out now for most of the popular brands of hardware, and especially now that MS has launched their first big update, a sort of service pack, called 1511 (the date and month it was supposed to release but was recalled due to some issues and only released at the end of November).

You can upgrade P3D to v3.0, and any other software that is DX11 designed, as they do code in backward compatibility to DX10 and some to as far back as DX9. So if your hardware such as video card can only run DX10, then so will the software, such as P3D. And let me say that v1.4 is nothing like v3.0. As to windowed mode, it does use more frames than full screen mode, the reason, when you run windowed mode, all of the Windows O/S eye candy and the theme, Aero in W7 etc are running, and they demand huge resources, along with all that is needed for the flight simulator. Some may notice in W7 that the theme is changed to a basic one as FSX starts, this is the reason to try and recover screen resources for the SIM to use.

Full screen mode automatically turns this all off, notice the black screen, if one is running two of more screens, that is if one is not running AMD Eyefinity or the nVidia equivalent. You can test this with Ctrl Z to see the frame rates, watch the difference as you switch between window and full screen, the quickest as I mentioned in my above posts, use the Alt and Enter to switch between window and full.

Chat again

Andrew

Screwbottle

My Pleasure Scott, and you're welcome. Pass it forward is my motto.

A question, and you'll see it in my other posts before this one, have you ever tried to defragment your SDD's, if so then there is your trouble, defragmenting any solid state memory devices, such as flash drives or SDD's is a no-no, and eventually reduces the life of the drive to a quarter of it's life then destroys them. If you have I would advise buying new ones and starting fresh, and I don't say this flippantly, I know what solid states cost. If not, then yes if you cannot resolve your current W10 upgrade over W7, it would be a good idea to do a full wipe and re-install fresh as well. I've covered this in my posts on how to create a boot device such as DVD or flash drive, so without repeating myself, read them, you'll also see my suggestions to others to clean up their systems before the upgrade to make the upgrade and running smoothly with no issues.

A tip, seeing that you have all of your SIM stuff on another SDD, rename the FSX folder temporarily, flush the O/S SDD, re-install the O/S and your other programs, re-install FSX / Acceleration to the same location and original folder on the second SDD, the one before you renamed FSX, then copy ALL of the content of the renamed FSX back over to the new install, this preserves all of the scenery and add-ons. This fresh install sets all of the registry entries for FSX, but renaming preserves all of the files on the drive. You might need to re-install one or two other add-ons, but it saves plenty work. Remember to run FSX once between each stage of install. So when FSX base install completes run it once, then SP1/SP2 or Acceleration (both SP1 and 2 and more) run it again. Now install any extra add-ons.

This should help you get W10 running smoothly and save a heap of time with FSX. Good luck going forward. I'm on my annual leave now until the second week of January, so can enjoy my passion for many more hours, and help others on forums like this.

Regards

Andrew

Screwbottle

Archived