Buying a new GPU. Will this be OK?

beany_bot

Hello all.

My current setup:

i5 4690K (stock but soon to be overclocked)

Nvidea GTX 770

8GB DDR3 2666Mhx RAM

I am going to be getting a new GPU for xmas (from myself) and I think I have settled on the AMD MSI R9 390. It was a toss-up between that and the GTX 970 but the 390 just pipped it to the post (for me) with that 8GB RAM and (seemingly) slightly better FPS in most games.

I won't be buying it specifically for FSX but I do play a lot of FSX (don't we all). So just checking that there isn't any "known" issues with running this card and FSX.

I do currently use Nvidea Inspector to get the best out of FSX (including AA settings) and I realise I wont have access to this with AMD but hopefully there is something similar that will work.

All input appreciated, many thanks.

The 390 is a good choice. If it was for FSX only I think the 970 would be the card of choice but the 390 beats the 970 hands-down in every test I've seen. For an overall really good pick I'd take the 390 (and I own a 970).

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Or http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-390X-vs-GeForce-GTX-980 . As I said, if I had it to do again today the 390 is the better choice for an all-around card. But, opinions are like belly buttons, i.e., everybody has one.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

YEs I agree, no point getting into opinions. Im just really checking that there isnt any "known" conflicts with this card and FSX. Personally I'm going for the 390 over the 970 because of the 8GB VRAM and it looks like so far AMD may decimate Nvidea when DX12 comes to play. But we shall see....

Basically I've been Nvidea for years and think it's good to put my money elsewhere now. Good for competition. keep them both on their toes!

Or http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-390X-vs-GeForce-GTX-980 . As I said, if I had it to do again today the 390 is the better choice for an all-around card. But, opinions are like belly buttons, i.e., everybody has one.

Doug

Just to clarify, I am not offering an opinion. I provided a link to a recognized and honest measure of GPU/CPU Benchmarks, and a statement of fact, i.e. that I am buying a GTX980.

The R9 is up there, just not quite as high according to the benchmarks.

I9-10900kf, gtx3090, 32gb ddr 4 3200mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke, Alienware monitor 34 inch @ 3440 x 1440

Archived