Where do I obtain minimums for setting Radio/Baro on EFIS panel PMDG 737?

Pro377

Hi,

A newbie question..... I don't understand how to get the correct information to set up the minimums on the EFIS panel with Radio or Barometric.

It is the turning knob in the upper left corner of the captains EFIS panel

Usually between 50 and 200 but I don't understand what it means and where to obtain the correct value

b737-efis-control-panel.png

The minimums will depend on whether the approach is :

1. an autoland CAT II/CAT III Where the minimum (decision height) will be usually between 0-100 Radio altitude (height above terrain).

2. A manual landing such as ILS CAT I or LOC or VOR or NDB or a visual, where the minimums will be dependent on the runway and the specific approach, and will be basis Decision Altitude (Altitude above sea level) You will need to look at airport charts to find the exact answer, but most ILS tend to be the equivalent of 200 feet above airport elevation with height increasing as you get to the visual approaches.

Note the difference between Radio Altitude and Barometer Altitude minimums. The former is actual height above the terrain you are flying over, the latter is height above sea level.

Hi,

A newbie question..... I don't understand how to get the correct information to set up the minimums on the EFIS panel with Radio or Barometric.

It is the turning knob in the upper left corner of the captains EFIS panel

Usually between 50 and 200 but I don't understand what it means and where to obtain the correct value

The minimums and/or decision altitude is the point where you are required to make a decision if you are going to land or not. The values are printed on the airport charts and are different for weather conditions (CAT...) at each airfield. Once upon a time it was a requirement that you had to be able to see the runway when getting to this point. If it was fogged in or otherwise invisible to you, you had to break off the approach. But it is more than that AFAIK, the "picture" out of your cockpit window has to be "right" at this point. Too far left or right, too much bank, too much crosswind, too fast - decide now or else go around.

As a general rule, it's better by far to go around than try to salvage a trashed approach and landing. That's how people get killed. During go around you can decide to divert to an alternate airport, circle in hopes of better weather, or just take a couple holding orbits to settle down, and THEN try it again.

It gives you a lot more options than "uh-oh, this doesn't look goooo......" :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

The minimums will depend on whether the approach is :

1. an autoland CAT II/CAT III Where the minimum (decision height) will be usually between 0-100 Radio altitude (height above terrain).

2. A manual landing such as ILS CAT I or LOC or VOR or NDB or a visual, where the minimums will be dependent on the runway and the specific approach, and will be basis Decision Altitude (Altitude above sea level) You will need to look at airport charts to find the exact answer, but most ILS tend to be the equivalent of 200 feet above airport elevation with height increasing as you get to the visual approaches.

Note the difference between Radio Altitude and Barometer Altitude minimums. The former is actual height above the terrain you are flying over, the latter is height above sea level.

Thanks!

Is it clearly stated which value is for what category in the charts then?

No, but they are listed in the FAR's.

HOWEVER: If there are special minimums that apply to an airport, or geographical area, they will be published in a seperate PDF.

There will be things like:

Standard alternate minimums for non-precision approaches and approaches with vertical guidance [NDB,

VOR, LOC, TACAN, LDA, SDF, VOR/DME, ASR, RNAV (GPS) or RNAV (RNP)] are 800-2. Standard

alternate minimums for precision approaches (ILS, PAR, or GLS) are 600-2.

AND

BEND, OR

BEND MUNI (BDN) ........ RNAV (GPS) Y Rwy 16

VOR/DME Rwy 16

Category D, 1200-3.

NA when local weather not available.

Those will be published on the airport's information page, like on AirNav for example, along with the various approaches, like ILS RWY 12, just as an example.

Look on this page :http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div5&node=14:2.0.1.3.10

And in Parts 91.151 and below on it are the normal minimums, published by the FAA.

Does this help at all?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Thanks!

Is it clearly stated which value is for what category in the charts then?

Yes. So for RWY 09L for London Heathrow the chart tells me:

CAT IIIb "ccompany" (this means it depends on the airline procedures but will be between 0-50

CAT II 100 RA

CATI ILS 280 BARO

LOC 470 BARO

Circling 850 BARO

No, but they are listed in the FAR's.

HOWEVER: If there are special minimums that apply to an airport, or geographical area, they will be published in a seperate PDF.

There will be things like:

AND

Those will be published on the airport's information page, like on AirNav for example, along with the various approaches, like ILS RWY 12, just as an example.

Look on this page :http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div5&node=14:2.0.1.3.10

And in Parts 91.151 and below on it are the normal minimums, published by the FAA.

Does this help at all?

Pat☺

Yes this is helpful for me to understand how this works :)

Yes. So for RWY 09L for London Heathrow the chart tells me:

CAT IIIb "ccompany" (this means it depends on the airline procedures but will be between 0-50

CAT II 100 RA

CATI ILS 280 BARO

LOC 470 BARO

Circling 850 BARO

Thanks for the information!

• 2 months later...

Hi...

They are the values in the bottom left - under the A B C D (class of aircraft)... They list for both a straight in approach or a circle to land approach... The high surrounding terrain makes for some unusually high values for the circle to land...

Category A: Speed 90 knots or less.

Category B: Between 91 and 120 knots.

Category C: Between 121 and 140 knots.

Category D: Between 141 knots and 165 knots.

Category E: Speed 166 knots or more.

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bJQZKiw.png

Archived