Depart straight out,departure to N.S.E.W. question

Hello

Some clarity needed on this.

If I was taking off using runway 27 as an example would departure straight out mean takeoff and carrying on a heading of 270°?

Would a departure to the east (w.s.n.)using the same runway(27) mean a turn to the east (w.s.n.)shortly after takeoff.

Cheers Andy

A straight out departure typically means you stay within the limits of ±15 degrees heading from the centre line of the runway.. So after takeoff any heading between 255(270-15) and 285(270+15) is a straight out departure

Sent from my Micromax A311 using Tapatalk

Hi Folks,

Sounds like you have it - Andy. Usually - directions of travel such as this would pertain to VFR flights at Delta's and Uncontrolled fields... Typically at a Charlie and above - with approach and departure in use - you're going to get an assigned heading both VFR and IFR... At a Delta when VFR they usually want you to give the tower a direction of travel before taking the runway - when IFR they will assign a heading... When self announcing at uncontrolled fields it's a good idea as well - so people know what your doing - "Orange County Traffic - Cessna 12345 taking off 03 departing to the North - Orange County"...

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

Hi Folks,

Sounds like you have it - Andy. Usually - directions of travel such as this would pertain to VFR flights at Delta's and Uncontrolled fields... Typically at a Charlie and above - with approach and departure in use - you're going to get an assigned heading both VFR and IFR... At a Delta when VFR they usually want you to give the tower a direction of travel before taking the runway - when IFR they will assign a heading... When self announcing at uncontrolled fields it's a good idea as well - so people know what your doing - "Orange County Traffic - Cessna 12345 taking off 03 departing to the North - Orange County"...

Regards,

Scott

Ah!

Thank you Scott.

Felt I was write there in the cockpit!:D

Cheers Andy

Archived