NYC VFR SFRA Communication!

BushPilot

Anyone who has flown this route need advice.

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/courses/content/79/775/kneeboard.pdf

I want to fly this route alone but I need to get some things clear before I attempt it!

My biggest issue is communication. The CTAF for the Corridor is 123.05 and to the best of my knowledge the frequency is not shared with another airport. So it makes sense not to use "Hudson Traffic" in your position calls because if you announce on it and use anyone of the mandatory reporting points, you are in the Hudson River and not the East River!!!!

Going from South to North the mandatory reporting points are: VZ, Statue of Liberty, Clock, Intrepid, GWB, Alpine Tower.

For Transient Operation the altitudes are: 1000ft upto NOT including 1300ft.

A) Hudson Traffic, White Skyhawk, VZ, 1100 feet, Northbound, Hudson Traffic

B) Hudson Traffic, Skyhawk 123AC, VZ, 1100 feet, Northbound, Hudson Traffic

C) White Skyhawk, VZ, 1100 feet, Northbound

D) Skyhawk 123AC, VZ 1100 feet,Northbound

Choice C and D seem appropriate! But most videos I have seen use "Hudson Traffic"

What is your take on it! And any tips!

Started: Flight Simulator 98 (Year 1999)

Private Pilot Certificate ASEL: August 7th 2014

Hi Amit,

While I don't live far from it - I haven't flown the corridor - I'm usually trying to get as far away from the city as I can...

123.05 is used by other airports - I hear the Hudson River traffic all the time when I fly into Columbia County (1B1) even though it is quite a bit North of the corridor... Though the FAA example doesn't show it - I'd probably use the "Hudson traffic" for clarity - I've heard it used plenty as well... I like choice A...

A couple things to double check - the Stadium TFR's when active will completely block the corridor... It's been suggested to me - it's safer to fly the "highline" route in the Class B with full ATC services... LOL and finally - if you're a stickler for rules - I don't think you can maintain full legal separation from the bridges when you fly over them inside the corridor... Granted - this seems to be ignored by everyone including the FAA...

If you're a low time pilot - I'd really suggest you take a more experienced pilot along for the first time exposure - I work adjacent to the corridor and on a nice day it gets pretty busy - an extra set of eyes might do you some good...

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the info, and pointing out (1B1), may be there are other airports nearby that also might use that frequency! Now that I think about it choice A seems practical as, saying the tail numbers wont help!

Just less than a year ago, I flew the corridor with an instructor and a friend. I did NOT talk on the radio as I was flying and wanted to split the work load and see the scenery so we agreed that the instructor would handle the radio. That day the CTAF was so busy we passed 1 mandatory reporting point before getting a chance to announce without stepping over someone else's transmission. At 100 KTAS things happen fast in the small corridor.

All of it happened so fast, I didn't even get a chance to absorb it. I was busy looking out for traffic, as there are helicopters flying left and right. It is intimidating too!

As far as the "legal separation" per the regulations! In congested airspace: "At least 1,000 feet above highest obstacle within 2,000 feet of the aircraft"

We flew over the Verrazano mid span at 1100 feet seems like a clear violation as the two towers of the bridge are 693 feet tall and Class B comes down to 1300 feet in the corridor. And I thought about that too. What I found is that the FAA has something called MOA's/MOU's Memoranda of Agreement / Understanding. So this is an SFRA "Special Flgiht Rules Area" its kind out understood.... May be someone else can shed more light on it.

As far as the stadium TFR, the best advice I was offered was to call the Boxoffice and look up the website print it out and carry it with you (and also check skyvector).The FSS Briefer in NOT obligated to tell you about sports TFR.

Flying the Class B "Skyline Route" seems safer as it provides you separation + extra altitude is always better!

Doing more research, its better to carry a NY Helicopter chart as it is more detailed than a TAC. Plus I have memorised all land marks names, altitudes, and it shows the routes which Heli's take.

I just want to fly it once with my wife. But before I do it, I have to know every single thing about this place.

Thanks,

Amit

Started: Flight Simulator 98 (Year 1999)

Private Pilot Certificate ASEL: August 7th 2014

Archived