Fsx steam system requirements

johnnytan

Guest lavochkin
Steam is coming out with a new Flight sim. It will based off FSX. I play on steam and it is GREAT!!! Not FSX though. Civ V kings and gods. I can't wait.

I use FSX-SE (Steam Edition) on a fairly old laptop, 19" monitor, Dual-Core Duo clocked @ 2.4Ghz, 4GB ram, and integral ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 video card.

No, I can't run the 3D clouds up to the max, and some areas do slow me down a little bit, but over all it works pretty well, locked in at 30FPS.

That's just my system though...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

The Steam Edition is moving forward. Between P3D and the Steam Edition, The boxed edition of FSX is dying and soon to be dead.

Microsoft stopped producing the boxes many months ago. So for all intents and purposes it is dead already. But funny enough, mine still works and it will continue to do so.

The Steam Edition of FSX is not moving forward, Dovetail has no license to actively develop it further, only to sell it.

Their own flightsim is still a year in the future and nobody knows which tech they will build it on. It could be ESP based, it could be based on Flight, but it could also be completely non-compatible so DTG can sell a few new addons.

Guest lavochkin

I beg to differ with you. Dovetail does have the license to FSX.

Please read: Interview With Tim Gatland - Dovetail Games at flightsim.com.

I beg to differ with you. Dovetail does have the license to FSX.

Please read: Interview With Tim Gatland - Dovetail Games at flightsim.com.

They have a licence to distribute FSX and make any necessary fixes to make it work with Steam. However they cannot make any major changes to FSX itself. Whatever sim they are working will use the underlying flight sim code from one of Microsoft's sims, but won't be FSX or Flight.

I just ran it on my laptop today it runs fairly well with a few glitches ,at the start up it took quite a long time

Sent from my HM NOTE 1W using Tapatalk

Congratulations and welcome to the platform! Have fun.

http://www.crossed-flag-pins.com/animated-flag-gif/gifs/India_120-animated-flag-gifs.gifhttp://status.ivao.aero/414320.png

That interview with Mr. Gatland backs up what I said. They only have a licence to distribute FSX and cannot make any major changes to FSX beyond bug fixes to keep it running. No new features will be added.

What kind of development can you do on the core FSX code and is the 64 bit memory limit something you can address?

We are distributing FSX: Steam Edition, so we are solely in a care and maintenance mode; fixing the essential items needed to keep FSX: Steam Edition working on new hardware and operating systems is the key focus. We will not be addressing the 64-bit memory limit in FSX: Steam Edition, but you can be sure that we'll be looking at that as part of the next step forward in flight simulation.

All of this has been verified by Dovetail in various articles and interviews since their first announcement. About the only point left open is exactly what the new sim will be (something like FSX, or more like Flight?). While this new sim will use the underlying flight simulator technologies they have licensed from MS, it won't be FSX or Flight.

Guest lavochkin

Yes, Because Dovetail elects not to do that, Not because they can't. It will be interesting to see if Dovetail comes out with a new sim or not.

X Plane is the sim I am watching also. They are moving forward. They just need more third party companies to buy into their sim.

Until then I will stick with FS2004. The best sim on the market today.

No, Dovetail has said that the agreement with Microsoft prevents them from making any major changes to FSX beyond what was necessary to bring back multiplayer support and bring it to Steam and current versions of Windows. They cannot make any further upgrades or add new features to FSX Steam Edition.

And they have stated they are working on a new sim, but haven't provided any details of what exactly this entails.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound as if the Steam Edition of Flight Simulator X will feature any improvements. Dovetail told GameSpot, "We have the license to re-release FSX on Steam and this does not extend to making product improvements. However, we will include all possible bug fixes we can. One area that will require some work is the use that FSX made use of GameSpy for multiplayer features. As you may know, GameSpy is no longer available and so we are looking for alternate ways of providing this functionality including using features in Steam."

Additionally, Dovetail says the new game it's working on won't actually be called Microsoft Flight Simulator; it will simply be using Microsoft's technology. As of yet, there is no title for the new game coming next year.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-flight-simulator-series-to-live-on-but-n/1100-6421000/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Johnny,

Think you posted in wrong topic - not sure what your question is - but - I'm assuming you are asking about the low indicated airspeed ?

I calculated .87 Mach with your numbers... The indicated airspeed is low because as you go up in altitude there are less air molecules hitting your pitot tubes - therefore - as you climb - indicated airspeed decreases - which is why we use Mach numbers at higher altitudes... Just think of Mach numbers as airspeed corrected for altitude... Your true airspeed is around 500 knots - - - these figures are using a "Standard Atmosphere"...

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

Hi Johnny,

While the Indicated Airspeed is low at high altitude - it's still used - the numbers are crunched onboard by a computer to derive "Mach" using the Indicated Airspeed, Altitude, and Temp... Usually they switch from IAS to Mach somewhere in the high 20K feet...

The pitot tube (airspeed sensor) is still used at high altitude... A known problem with the pitot tubes on Airbuses was a significant cause of the Air France 447 crash - as they froze up disabling the Air Speed/Mach indicator - so the pilots got confused (thought they were going too fast) and held the plane in a stall while it dropped 33,000 feet into the ocean...

At very high altitude - you are operating in an area know as "coffin corner" - because of the thin air the airspeed at which the plane stalls and the airspeed at which the air goes supersonic over the wing (mach buffet - overspeed) is very small - so the airspeed of an aircraft when high is very important... Too slow or too fast it will quickly lead to serious problems...

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

Archived